Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smaller French resort

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for any recommendations for a smaller French resort for Easter 2012. Just fancy something different (and cheaper) having visited most of the big league places over the last decade. Went to Chamrousse two years ago, so something similar is what I'm looking for. The main criteria are skiing convenience (ski in ski out) and relatively snow sure for week commencing March 30th next year. Thanks snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Puy St Vincent, Villard de Lans, Maurienne valley.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Contanines
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saint Martin de Belleville
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes to Les Contamines. Also Les Saisies - considerably bigger area, 175km linked, fair bit bigger than Chamrousse, though as late as that some lower parts of the domain might not be too great - some seasons fine, others not. Les Saisies and the top areas of Notre Dame de Bellecombe and Praz sur Arly should be fine. If you're looking for something smaller and more obscure, Areches-Beaufort. Terrific off piste, so they say (I wouldn't know) though can be hazardous.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If heading to the Maurienne try St Sorlin D'Arves, part of the large Les Sybelles area, the other resorts are less traditional looking.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Les Sybelles area is very large too

Indeed - just had a look at it. 310kms - ginormous and scarcely on the very limited radar of the average Brit skier.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, Getting a little more popular I think. When I went in 2006 & 7 some of the UK TO's were just starting to include it in their brochures. Although there are 310km of pistes none are very difficult and the lift system wasn't the best (although improvements have been made since I believe). A lot cheaper than the more well known resorts though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd recommond La Clusaz / Le Grand Bornand, but only if snow was good. Easter is pretty early this year so they should be OK, but I'd be loath to book too far in advance for these places as they are not all that high.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'd be loath to book too far in advance

Agreed - and there shouldn't be any need to book much in advance, there should be plenty of choice unless snow conditions are really bad - if it's like last season then April will need very careful thought.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Les Sybelles area is very large too

Indeed - just had a look at it. 310kms - ginormous and scarcely on the very limited radar of the average Brit skier.

Shitey lifts apparently though.

Just also to say: Valloire. Yeah I know. I know.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dare I mention La Rosiere?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio wrote:
Shitey lifts apparently though.

I have only skied Le Corbier but the lifts there were fine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
one of the problems with super fast lifts is they deposit super large numbers of people at the top. In smaller places you are likely, outside peak times, to have entire pistes to yourself.

There are loads of options - but a last minute booking would make sense.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Les Gets was great at the end of march a few years back when me and the missus went. Not too busy, manageable area but with access to PDS.
latest report
on the whole, I think I'd want to be based a bit higher than Les Gets in early April.
snow conditions
Val Cenis: http://www.valcenis.com/domaine-skiable/plan-des-pistes

125 km of piste; skiing between 1400m and 2800m so relatively snow sure; unspoilt valley; on the road to the Col De L'Iseran - closed in winter - so no through traffic and presumably very quiet; part of the ski area is in Italy.

We have never skied there, but after driving through in summer, have added it to our 'to do' list - the lift system and piste map look quite impressive and it has a big vertical. There is also a smaller French resort, further up the road towards the col de L'Iseran which is very rustic and unspoilt - unfortunately, its name escapes me at present.
snow report
mountainaddict, I think the place you're thinking of is Bonneval. It's a great off piste ski from Val d'Isere but does require a heli back because of the huge road distance between the two. Bonneval had decent slopes of its' own in a neat settting inside Vanoise National Park. It would be a nice excursion from Val Cenis.
latest report
Bonneval is further up the road from Val Cenis. You can ski all the small resorts in the Haute Maurienne including those 2, using car or bus, using a special skipass which is amazing value. Val Cenis is the best and I also really like Valfrejus, though it is the furthest to get to (above the Frejus tunnel). Lots of great off-piste in the area.
snow conditions
Hywel, Montalbert la plagne part of the paradiski. Good snow sure conditions are main run down to the village was open until the 24th April last year ! wink
latest report
Thanks for all the suggestions, had looked at Valloire and St Sorlin, plenty of options to look at. snowHead
snow report
Hywel, "relatively snow sure" surely, by definition means one of the bigger resorts.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Hywel, "relatively snow sure" surely, by definition means one of the bigger resorts.

Not at all.
ski holidays
Quote:

"relatively snow sure" surely, by definition means one of the bigger resorts.

nope.
ski holidays
Ste Foy, but don't tell anyone!
latest report
We were looking at Ste Foy the other year, thought it looked rather good. Will have investigate again once boys are older and skiing.
latest report
We have booked to go to Les Sybelles (St Jean) for Feb half term as seemed to fit out requirements... Will report back in a few months!
ski holidays
do you class Montgenevre as small if so the Obelisque are at the Italien end of resort offer a selection of new and nearl;y new apts with more or less ski from teh door
i went Easter 2010 and had fresh snow alternate days
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Small village can also mean small ski.
I recommend Montgenevre as small village, BIG ski as you get the Milky Way on your doorstep as well as the possibility of skiing Serre Che and several other resorts. Montgenevre is 96 on the price index, making it below average in cost.

Otherwise Puy-st-vincent ranks even cheaper but with more limited skiing.

Have a look at the following list for the cheapest resorts in France:

http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/features/rpi-2010-51-resorts-where-you-can-save-money-/
latest report
Quote:

Small village can also mean small ski.

by no means always - some small French ski villages are linked into skiing areas bigger than almost anywhere else in the world, but not well known. eg the Espace Diamant has more lift-linked skiing than Kitzbuhel. And sometimes places with big mileage do have a fair number of pistes each indistinguishable from the next!

Anyway, the OH is looking for something similar to Chamrousse. Just 75 km of piste there, I think. Plenty for a week for many skiers - many of us don't feel cheated if we do the same piste more than once. wink
latest report
Bonneval is certainly as snow sure as most of the big resorts and more snow sure than some, but it is a very small area, it is not ski in ski out but much of the accommodation looks very close to the access lift. I have skied there twice in April and had wonderful skiing on both occasions with snow of the same quality as Val Thorens accessed about 40 minutes away via Orelle down the valley, which was much more crowded but has a much larger area.
snow conditions
skihog, Ssssshhhhhhh!! wink
latest report
I've always fancied a trip to Bonneval. Our season lift pass gives us free ski passes for days in St Francois Longchamp, Pralognan, Orcieres 1850 and La Bresse Hohneck.

We might get round to one or two of the closer ones this year - had some good feedback from SHs on Pralognan last year but the snow conditions meant long trips weren't really worthwhile.
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

I've always fancied a trip to Bonneval.

It's a great little place to visit , an attractive old village (though with one or two more modern uglier bits) and stunning high mountain scenery amongst the glaciers. If you can plan the trip though I would go when the weather is warm as it is almost all high skiing above the tree line with no enclosed lifts. Snow is generally good as well as getting the Westerlies it also often gets some of the stuff spilling over the Italian border. If you enjoy x country Bessans about 5k down the valley is well worth a visit as well.
ski holidays
the world is just full of lovely unexplored places to ski. Some of them not far away. Life is too short ......
latest report
pam w wrote:
the world is just full of lovely unexplored places to ski. Some of them not far away. Life is too short ......

On topic but a long way from you I visited St Veran http://www.saint-veran-queyras.com/ this summer a stunning place, highest traditional village in Europe and a place I would love to visit in Winter as well. The summer walking was wonderful bit of a drive though from Monetier where we were staying.
Would fit some of the OP's specifications though ski in ski out would depend very much on location I would guess.
ski holidays
T Bar, mmm, looks lovely. Might be fitted in on a trip down to Genoa, to see our son, which takes us through the Fréjus tunnel.
latest report
pam w, Saint Veran is a fair bit south of the Frejus tunnel. You would probably best go down to the coast to include it in a trip. On a brighter note Bonneval and the delightful Haute Maurienne is very convenient indeed.
snow conditions
St Sorlin d'Arves in the maurienne valley was excellent last year in April,Easy uplift to 3 V via Orelle for an away day if you have a car

Regards Mark
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy