Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff or Val D'Isere for 3/4 months ?? - Can't decide!

Poster: A snowHead
Taking a little career break and looking to do a 11/13 week improvement course. I'm a young 30 something, experienced skier, loves a beer, not looking for instructor qualifications, although both courses I'm looking at will include Level 1 in BASI/CSIA. Banff accommodation is good - double bed in twin room, wifi, pool, gym etc. Sunshine Mountain snow is normally awesome. Lift pass includes the three mountains. I have never skied Canada before.

Val D'isere accommodation is bunks/pull-out bed in a tight apartment of 4, no wifi, I've been there before (few years now but Tignes more recently), probably more expensive living costs..

but.. it's Val D'Isere!! and the opportunity to spend the best part of a season (got quoted a cheap price to extend the accommodation for the rest of the season) exploring all the extensive off piste is hard to ignore. Banff will probably cost around £1200 more as well. You also have the daily bus commute. However, I keep thinking I can go to Val D any time but then again I probably won't get the opportunity again to spend 4 months somewhere. I'm also a little paranoid about Europe experiencing another poor snow season while La nina dumps on Canada again ! Another plus point for Val D'Isere is that I can take my car (if I can park it somewhere) which will give me freedom to spend the odd weekend or at the end of the course elsewhere. All these different factors are doing my head in ! Madeye-Smiley

For the record the two courses are through Base Camp and Non Stop.

Can anyone who has been fortunate enough to ski extensively in both resorts offer their opinion/advice ? Where would you go ? Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Done 2 seasons in Val and an CSIA instructor course with non stop in Fernie, BC. When out in Fernie did make a trip to Banff, conditions were pretty rubbish so didn't see it in it's best light but for me Val was far better ski area, more extensive, on the door steps, huge off piste. On the flip side I did find non stop a good operation though I was a little annoyed at the lack of experience of some skiers allowed on the CSIA level 1 course. It was marketed as pre test training and personal improvement in the fernie powder. Snow wise I had a pretty rotten conditions in Canada, maybe just a bad season but no guarantee of great snow in any resort. From Banff Kicking Horse is doable, supposed to be great off piste. Tough choice, i'm sure you'd have a great time at either location. Be warned one long career break skiing will lead to many more.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think you understand the pros-cons pretty well. I'll don't know where you are from (assume the UK), but will throw out 2 variations that each favor one - a long trip makes more sense when you have more time, which you do. OTOH, a long trip gives you a chance to make more connections and it is easier staying in touch if it is not too far away. Put differently, it will be be nice to hook up with some good off piste partners at Val (where this is more needed) and then be able to go back for a week in following years and reconnect.

I had a great time the year I spent down the road from Val in BSM, but sometimes wish it wasn't so far from the States (where I was until recently).

You have to make the choice...you should have a great time either way.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the excellent responses!

Yes, 'MEfree30, I'm UK based and its a valid point you make about making connections and Waynos, interesting to hear about your poor snow experiences. I know it can occasionally get wet at Whistler, Fernie etc due to Pacific proximity and relatively low altitudes but I guess I always assumed, seeing that Banff area gets hideously cold, great snow years outweigh marginal ones.

I have to say though I'm leaning towards Val despite potentially living like a tramp with 3 guys who could be my kids with no wifi and nothing to do but ski and get shidded on toffee vodka. Bof , C'est la vie!

I have even started to form some potential plans in my head - 11 week Basi 1/all mountain development course in Val, pay the bargain price to extend the accommodation for the whole season then if so desired, £545 for the Level 2 via ICE in Val D, which I have just seen on the interweb. I'm not sure the girlfriend will like these dangerous thoughts..

Anyhow, I will wander around the ski show tomorrow and draw inspiration.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are not going to use the instructor qualification then why not spend the cost of it on somewhere better to stay ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just because Banff is cold doesn't mean it snows a lot.... There is a "joke" in the Monashees (i.e Revelstoke / Rogers pass area) that they don't call the area around Banff the rocky mountains for nothing.. i.e a lot of rocks and not a lot of snow.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs wrote:
If you are not going to use the instructor qualification then why not spend the cost of it on somewhere better to stay ?

In Val D'Isere, the BASI 1 course could be dropped, apparently saving £600 or so but I fancy doing it anyway just in case I change my mind about pursuing further qualifications. Accommodation is tied in with the course so I can't do anything about that. I don't suppose £600 extra would make much of a difference over 3/4 months in Val anyhow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last year was an epic at Sunshine. This year is reportedly La Nina again and we can't wait. Certainly the long term forecast indicate snowier than average and colder than average. Last year we skied 4 weekends at Sunshine spreadout over season and each was ridiculously good in terms of powder. Sunshine can get inversions too. Last year one weekend it was -27 in Clagary, -25 drving past banff and -2 on the hill at Sunshine

I would be tempted by Canada. You won't ever see a queue in the week. Further afield so different to the Europe gig. Chance to do some fab glade sking. Probably less expensive whilst here in terms of eating out

Lift pass would get you to ski Norquay and LL. But also weekend options would be Panorama and Kicking Horse.

But then I've never been to Val Disere (but have been to lots of french resorts). For single resorts Sunshine will have less terain than a big french resort
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sidlittle, Val d isere/Tignes is one of the best skiarea in the world and also one of the most expensive, Bannf is not even the best choice of Canada, BUT,, so to stay so long time and not work, its real better to go to Canada or US, but to remember the skiing is different, if you like offpist, you must know that the most offpist in Canada is below the treeline,, But go to Canada and enyoy your stay there,,
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm at the London ski show and after talking to various people, I should change the thread title to 'Fernie or val d'isere?'. What an enjoyably painful decision to be made. Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sidlittle, if you don't think you'll ever get to Canada, why not go there? Val D'Isere is a 'simple' budget airline hop away......
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sweaman2 wrote:
Just because Banff is cold doesn't mean it snows a lot.... There is a "joke" in the Monashees (i.e Revelstoke / Rogers pass area) that they don't call the area around Banff the rocky mountains for nothing.. i.e a lot of rocks and not a lot of snow.

Compared to the Monashees that might be true; compared to Europe Banff gets plenty of snow Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd vote for Canada, reasons in no particular order:
    A different experience to Europe which you are already familar with
    Cheaper to eat out etc. Compared to Val I'd say *much* cheaper.
    Great skiing in the local area - Lake Louise and Sunshine are fantastic. I'm a little biased because I had epic powder there once. If you get the chance to ski Delirium Dive in fresh snow you'll see why.
    Great skiing do-able in a day trip at Kicking Horse.
    Great skiing do-able in a slightly longer road trip - Revelstoke, Fernie, etc etc
    Canadians are nice.
    Generally not at all busy.
    Local beer tends to be much better than the French pop.

But then again if I thought about I could come up with a few compelling reasons to stay in Val...

... actually, having thought about I can't come up with any compelling reasons to spend a long time in Val. I'd rate at least a dozen other places above Val in my fantasy where-to-spend-a-season list.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Compared to the Monashees that might be true; compared to Europe Banff gets plenty of snow

This may be true - not skied in Europe for probably 5 years so my definition of "plenty" of snow is probably biased.. but I do get annoyed when people seem to expect it to snow everyday in the Canada - think the marketing is almost too successful.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fernie is a great hill, thoroughly enjoyed it, it's compact and most off piste is really obvious and easy to get to (from what i could find in my 10 days), it's avi controlled too (inside the ropes). Tignes/VDI is a much larger spread out kind of a place with immense off-piste if you're adventurous. It seems much less obvious too, so there would be more to discover.

I guess given the choice if i had three weeks or a MONTH I'd take Fernie, but a full season - probably VDI on the basis it'd have more to give/explore over a longer period.
snow report
sweaman2 wrote:
Quote:

Compared to the Monashees that might be true; compared to Europe Banff gets plenty of snow

This may be true - not skied in Europe for probably 5 years so my definition of "plenty" of snow is probably biased.. but I do get annoyed when people seem to expect it to snow everyday in the Canada - think the marketing is almost too successful.

Shhhhhh! Don't tell them that! Happy
snow report
Having been to VDIl/Tignes several times and Fernie twice, I would take VDI every time for an extended period.

Fernie is a great resort, we had a great time and "compact", as mentioned by sweaman2, is a great description. I was happy with what we explored in 10 days.

In comparison, every time I go to VDI/Tignes there is something else to explore - the large French resorts are dimensionally larger and the terrain more varied than the Northern US resorts.

If you are going to spend a long time in just one location, I think VDI/Tignes is a good bet.
snow conditions
For me Fernie over Banff is a good decision. but fernie over val, still not an easy decision. How about St Anton? Only Joking. Fernie is compact compared to val, as said above. I thought more short and sweet. I reckon snow wise little in it, changes from season to season where ever. Fernie is a great town, nice atmosphere, decent bars, a living town not a resort. It's a few miles from ski hill. Val is typical lively, vomiting type brit, scandi apres ski (b4 kids that was great!), val also attracts the ruperts from time to time, they are annoying but entertaining as well. When in Fernie I had a ski pass that covered banff, kimberly and a few other resorts, can also pop across to US to big mountain for a day trip, have cat skiing available and heli skiing from panorama. I'm sure i'm not helping much. How about a month or two at both, then post a comparison next spring?
ski holidays
I wiuld second a month or two at each. Why not?
ski holidays
Err... How come we are now comparing Fernie to Val? sidlittle, the lucky b*gger, is worrying about choosing between Banff and Val Happy
snow report
sah, because if you read the thread sidlittle is now thinking about Fernie after talking with people at the London ski show.
ski holidays
waynos wrote:
sah, because if you read the thread sidlittle is now thinking about Fernie after talking with people at the London ski show.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks. Embarassed
snow conditions
sweaman2 wrote:
Quote:

90% of the population can comprehend shades of gray, period!

So if the marketing department puts the actual number of days it DOESN'T snow, even if it's only 10 days out of a season of 120 days, no one would ever go skiing there! wink So a resort must create the perception every skiing days will be fresh powder!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy