Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet choices

Poster: A snowHead
no Decathlon in Bristol Sad

I went past S&R yesterday and they hardly had any stock. Well, nothing in my price range. They said they are going to get their stock in about 2 weeks Confused . Probably as I leave for my trip. I tried some on anyway. Some of the Salamon ones were really comfy but didn't fit my goggles at all (too expensive anyway). The Giro G10 was ok. Fitted reasonably comfortable with my goggles. Maybe pushed a tiny bit but was the best out of those I tried (all 3 of them Sad )

Now I'm a bit stuck. I will try go past EB this weekend and see what they have. I'm assuming they will be similar to S&R and are probably only getting their stuff a bit later. So I will be back in the same boat where I will probably have to order online Sad I will have to hope that if the Giro G10 fitted, that one of their other models would be ok. Not happy with that but limited in what I can do.

I wish there was a place to try on the Demon helmets so I could buy one from livetoski to match my goggles.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

and your helmet doesn't protect you because it was the cheapest and not the one that fits properly

the fit is certainly crucial, and I had to try on loads before finding one that fitted right. it's a Giro, but none of the other Giros were anywhere near fitting. But we have yet to see any evidence at all that cost is positively correlated with safety - people just kid themselves, I think, to justify buying the helmet they fancy.

AlanB1976, it's far more difficult to find a good fitting helmet than to buy goggles. If you find a helmet that's just right, buy yourself some more goggles. And don't be persusaded that those have to cost a fortune, either, because they don't. I have done the last three seasons with a pair of Bollé goggles (now fitted with vision-corrected inserts, total cost still no more than a pair of fancy goggles).

You said "all helmets feel uncomfortable at first". Not sure about that. when you find the right one, it should feel pretty good. But if you don't find the right one - then hire. They're cheap to hire.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
look at amazon, i got a Head Pro Ski helmet off them last year, fast delivery and good price
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
plenty of choice

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ski+helmet&x=12&y=20&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timbobaggins, yea, but the problem of fitting with my abnormally bumpy head is the issue. I need to try them on which is causing an issue. I don't have time to try and send back several.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, do you not remember the other posts from me moaning that I have no money at the moment to spend on anything Laughing . No budget to buy another pair of goggles now. I couldn't even afford the pair I have (gift from livetoski) Razz

I will do what I can for this year and save up so next season I can get a decent fitting helmet/goggles combo
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rent in resort. Spend the time saved doing some ski fitness work. And relaxation........ wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Rent in resort

It will probably end up that way. But god, am I fighting to not do that with my limited resources rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AlanB1976,

You say you dont have time to order and send back, but the time you have spent posting on this forum means you could have ordered two or three helmets, paid by credit card and sent back for a full refund the ones that dont fit, Amazon service is very good and remember the majority of ski lids have adjustable interiors, the head one has, so does the trespass which certainly the trespass is in your budget, my mate has one and he rates it
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
oh yea free 24 hour delivery with amazon most of the time
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
free delivery usually takes a bit more than 24 hours with Amazon, IIRC.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AlanB1976, are you renting skis? If so, very few bob extra for a helmet - cost of a couple of beers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timbobaggins, it's not only time. I want to have an idea on what manufacturer I'd like to try. Considering that I'll usually have to take the hit of the return postage, if I send back 4 pairs, I might as well buy the more expensive ones in the shops. If I know that I want a certain make as I've tried it on and it will fit my goggles, then it will only involve 1 or 2 returns.
I'm being difficult, I know, but how else does everyone know me here NehNeh .
I'm actually still not used to the e-commerce returns here. coming from South Africa, half the postage goes missing so I hardly ever ordered online. Now it's all done that way here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, it's more the fact of sweat stains that are putting me off renting a helmet. I know how much I sweat in one and the thought of putting someone else's on grosses me out.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
have you tried here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ski+helmet&_sacat=See-All-Categories

try them in store... buy them here.
snow report
Here is my plan of action...
Tomorrow I'm going past EB, SportsDirect and any other shop I can. I am going to try on as much as possible. If I don't buy then, I will attempt to order the one that felt the best online. If none felt great, I will attempt to order a couple others online and hope they fit. If those don't fit either, I will return them and resort to renting for this trip.
Done
ski holidays
I wouldn't rent a helmet. How on earth do you know whether it has been in a big smash before? The previous renter is hardly going to walk in and say "you can't see it, but this helmet took a proper battering this week" and risk argument with the shop etc. And most of the rental helmets smell worse than a teenagers bedroom.
snow report
ok, so my last line will read...
"If those don't fit either, I will return them, cry a little and get the cheapest thing that fits the best for this trip and look for something better for the next trip" NehNeh
snow conditions
I look forward to your next thread on "How tight should I do up my helmet?" wink
snow conditions
you're asking for it aren't you wink

I started the same way when I started mountain biking and in no time I had custom built my bike, serviced all the parts myself and had the smoothest running gears of all my mates.
Screw learning slowly. I have all your knowledge in my pool. Why not use it and get to know EVERYTHING now
snow conditions
Helmet = Good

Giro - Good (if you have a giro shaped head)

Are ther any helemts that DON'T make you look like a bullet headed knob?
snow report
HEAD Helmets on Amazon, sold by Amazon
Good prices and always returnable if the wrong size.
Although they seem to be lacking sizes for mens ones.

Then there are also ones from a brand called Black Canyon, which I've never heard of but they have loads of them in Stock.
Black Canyon Helmets on Amazon, sold by Amazon
snow report
Well, I toured around the shops on the weekend to find absolutely nothing. TKM/SD/others had nothing, S&R and EB had so few that there was maybe 2 that were my size and either didn't fit nicely (head/goggles) or was way over my price range (£100+). So I have now ordered a couple online with hope that 1 will fit me. Also ordered a Demon one that will fit the goggles...... maybe not my bumpy head. I hope that one fits as it will be one way of saying thanks to livetoski for the goggles.
latest report
AlanB1976, that was pretty much my experience too. There were quite a few in Decathlon, but I didn't like the look/fit or comfort of any of them. Two Seasons had 4 helmets in stock. All over budget and all the wrong size. I have now given up. Might be something that is better to buy in resort.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy