Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet choices

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all
I'm starting to get worried. My first trip is 3 weeks away and I haven't found a place selling cheap helmets yet :S . Nothing at Aldi/Lidl/TKMaxx and all "specials" are smalls or XXL.
I had a look at some shops but they are just so expensive. So I was thinking of buying online from a place that allows free exchanges if wrong size. With that I have to buffer some time for postages back and forth which is the worrying part. The cheapest that doesn't look really cr@p (in my opinion) was below. Although I don't like the glossy finish.
http://www.trekwear.co.uk/s/head-rebel-ski-helmet-in-black/23687/Product.aspx
The next which I preferred, but was a bit more expensive is below. It is Bolle which does make me think it will be made a bit better.
http://www.skimania.co.uk/Item-5-20-cat-0-brand-1611-Bolle_B_Style_Mens_Helmet.aspx
Anyone have any advice on those?
Thanks
Alan
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Distance Selling Regulations. You can, effectively, buy every size they sell, and return the ones you don't want in their original packaging and they've got to give you your money back. Google it for exact terms, but internet retailers in the UK can't opt out of it. So order both (or three, or more) and then just send back the others that don't fit.

Or go to a shop that stocks what you want.

If you don't like the gloss look, check out the K2 Clutch Pro - very reasonably priced, includes audio system so you've got speakers in the earpads (I really like this, others don't, but it is worth half the purchase price on its own) and it has a matt black or white finish. Price around £70 unless you find one from last season etc.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AlanB1976, I'm currently not a helmet wearer, but due to pressure from friends and family I am considering it. The only places near me that sell affordable lids are really horrible, like something from a WW2 movie set. Whilst I realise it's about protection and not what one looks like, comfort and fit are the most important factors, and I've failed to answer either of these briefs yet. They seem to cost in excess of three figures at EB and S&R. I shall watch this thread for better suggestions. Or just not bother and stick with the warmth of my hair as I have been doing for over 30 years...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm kinda in the same boat. I wasn't going to get one but was advised to as I'm going to try my hand at boarding. I really don't want to spend any more than £40 (there aren't that many brain cells to protect NehNeh ). I was told that you can get decent cheap ones that are still in EU safety regulations. I just can't find them NehNeh
All I want is a normal looking one. No flashy colours or something that makes me look like the predator. I don't want to attract any more attention to me while I'm falling on my face
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lol at this thread...

so when you go on your holiday and fall over and bang your head and your helmet doesn't protect you because it was the cheapest and not the one that fits properly are you going to lie there and think that "well, at least I saved a few bob" or are you going to think "dam, I wish I had spent the extra £30 to get one that fits" as your brains leak out over the piste...

It's like buying a pair of ski boots that don't fit properly but were cheap... I mean, folk don't do that do they Laughing

Should have said... It's like buying a pair of shoes that don't fit properly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sportsdirect have cheap ski stuff - helmets are £18 i believe
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly, It's either that or no helmet. It's basically down to "I have no more money". Quite simple actually....... PLUS, many experienced SH's said that the cheap ones are still regulated and so just as safe as the next (possibly not the really expensive ones). And then my worry was to get one on time that fitted properly. My few brain cells know enough to not get things that don't fit properly. So, now that I've cleared your queries Laughing , do you have anything constructive to add?

gazza2, I looked in sportsdirect last week and didn't see anything Sad . Which one did you see in?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

experienced SH's said that the cheap ones are still regulated

Yes

Quote:

and so just as safe as the next

No.

But as you say fit is one of the most important aspects. I'd be very surprised if you can't find a decent lid that fits for £40/50 in a ski shop.

There are a couple here (I used the Giro Encore a few years back, good lid) and and here, but Sweet Protection have some ridiculous offers atm. Expensive, but by FAR the best helmets on the market (I have a full cut Rocker and Fullface Trooper for kayaking, and a halfcut Trooper for skiing).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Couldn't you buy in resort or rent? Fit is really important, I reckon I tried on about a dozen of the same size before I found one the right shape.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also worth mentioning you can pad out a lid yourself - most decent helmets will come with pads to make this easier.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most of the sports direct stuff went available online over the weekend - if you know your size you can order one if you cannot find any instore
if you ring them they are pretty good at telling which stores have some in

if you take a size 58 - they are on sale at £12 online
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My girlfriend got a helmet for £35 from the Tog 24 outlet, seems to fit her quite well and looks very well made compared with my Bolle switch there's not much difference
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AlanB1976, no offence meant. Very Happy

How cheap is a cheap helmet? What's your budget.

http://www.snowandrock.com/red-tantrum-classic/helmets/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/16143

why not go into snow and rock, or ellisbrigham and try some on. find out what fits and then ask on here for more specific answers.

Still find it strange that people are prepared to spend £100s on other ski related stuff but then wince when they have to pay a wee bit more to get a helmet that fits! Sorry if that sounds cynical, but my wife works with head injuries patients so I hear a lot of horrible horrible stories about people who had ill fitting or purely wrong safety equipment go wrong.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AlanB1976, My advice is to go into a large ski shop (wherever they may be.......) try loads on and find best fit at a price you'd find acceptable (like shoogly I dont put a price on my own head!!), and then hit the www's and get a deal.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shoogly, no problem. I was probably a bit sensitive there. It's just that I fully understand that a good helmet is worth it's weight in gold when you have a fall. I just really can't afford one at the moment, so have to try my best with something cheaper. I even had to get an extension on paying for my Jan trip cause I don't have the money now. My only other alternative is to rent one for this year and buy next year when I've saved more for it. But then I think, instead of fighting the sweat from all the others that have worn it before me, buy one I can now and then I can upgrade later as well.

I don't want to spend more than £40. I am willing (for a nice helmet) to go around £50. I know that is not much for something decent.

dippdydoodogg, I want to avoid in resort buying purely as I'm sure they will be priced a bit higher. That and if they only got expensive ones in stock when I'm there, I'm a bit pressured to spend that money then.

I find that all helmets feel a little uncomfortable at first, so battle to determine which will be the best after a long day of wear. I tried on some at S&R and to be honest, with the correct head size, they all still felt weird.

What are Demon like? This looks a little too much like a pot for my liking, but at that price...
http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Demon_LID_Ski_Helmet_L_58-60_Cm_Matte_Black_2010-(18458).aspx

I'll maybe go past S&R again. That Giro Encore 2 looks nice and I'll see if I can try it on there
snow report
Now that's what I'm talking about. Pity they don't have my size Laughing
http://www.sportsdirect.com/universal-stuff-helmet-junior-936061?colcode=93606191
snow conditions
in that case

http://www.sportsdirect.com/no-fear-ski-helmet-mens-901005

or http://www.sportsdirect.com/no-fear-ski-helmet-mens-928042
snow report
Wow, those are cheap. Why can't my sportsdirect have them so I could try on Sad
latest report
I suppose I would be pushing it thinking they would fit with goggles and have a goggles clip
snow report
AlanB1976, I think it's very important to try them on to ensure a good fit. That would be a bit of a faff with ordering online and returning if it doesn't fit, then sourcing another. Plus your lid is at the mercy of the postal/courier service. If they decide to drop it, you may never know, but the integrity of the helmet may be compromised.

So far I have only tried Decathlon and Two Seasons (the only places near me). I haven't found anything that fits yet, nor anything that I like the look of.
ski holidays
AlanB1976, I won't engage with the cost debate as we've had that pleasure with you on every other bit of kit in your wardrobe = You're in charge of that and will make your own mind up.

Good helmets/bad helmets= some are better than others depending upon your point of view, fit/comfort, cosmetic/style, compatibility/goggles and critically warm ventilation : Most, as far as I'm aware meet minimum standards. You can Google that as well as the next man.

Some helmets are horridly uncomfortable – For example Salmon make some great looking helmets, nice quality but none of them fit my head and as such are uncomfortable (for me) and may not be for you. The fit will however vary enormously between manufacturers.

Are you bothered by looks as some of the more lurid colours that aren’t selling or are last year’s colours may well be on offer.

If you did indeed splash out on your well researched goggles, then take those along to ensure compatibility. They are not generic and there’s little point in buying a helmet that leave a 15mm gap all the way round the helmet lip at the top of the goggles. You should ideally aim for a close, comfortable fit between the two. I’ve made that mistake Embarassed and paid for it so you don’t have to!

If you’ve chosen to ignore the majority SH advice which urged you to goggle up, then almost any pair of glasses will fit, but again beware having the arms crushed into the side of your head by an incompatible helmet fit could haunt you if you don’t check this beforehand.

Venting is much more common, and for me I’m a big Giro fan, especially if they’re adjustable. If it’s sunny and/or you’re having a slow day: Motionless in the sun can be a bit on the warm side –hot heads when skiing for me at least were a big mistake. Bought lovely, comfy helmet, bad venting –I went back to Giro. Red’s are cool too for the same reason.

Lastly – if you can buy new rather than second hand which not a great idea with helmets unless you are happy to trust your life to the seller that it hasn’t suffered a bad, undetectable smash.
snow conditions
clarky999,

What makes them by FAR the best protection. Not saying they aren't, but curious as to what it is specifically about them that validates this claim as compared to say Giro or POC?
snow report
OK - i have done the bit with posting the cheapest helmets that i can come up with - now it time for general comments

as has been stated all the helmets need to neet a minimum standard, chances are that most of them will be made in the same factories

a lot has been said about fit - agreed - you should get the best fitting helmet you can find for your head, otherwise it can be uncomfortable
i was anti helmet - but pressure from a very youngg child - who HAS to wear one other wise most places wont teach him - changed that
it took me 3 seasons to find a helmet that suited me - and my main criteria was fit not price so i have tried on hundreds to get one that suits.

i have tried on the no fears from sports direct - they were of a similar standard / fit to most others on the market, and yes they do work with goggles - you should however check with your head and your goggles.
- they were however no good for me

by the way - i would guess that 99% of the ski helmets have some form of mouldable plastic outershell, and have a polystyrene inner with foam
so they will all perform to similar standards, and i doubt that any of the actual shells are substantially better than another

good luck with your choice -
ski holidays
and this has all been done to death before with the same outcomes

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1688987
latest report
Some reading on the standards

http://www.skihelmets.org.uk/standards

http://www.telemarktips.com/Helmets.html

http://www.satra.co.uk/spotlight/article_view.php?id=322

usefull sizing chart here

http://www.abc-of-skiing.com/info/ski-helmet-buyingguide.asp
snow report
Jivebaby, I don't intend for all my topics to become heated debates..... it's just what nature inteded. I do alway listen to advice and while I will argue points to ensure that the advice is supported, I promise you they don't fall on deaf ears. All my wardrobe is pretty much from advice from SH's. The only thing I can't always listen to, as you mentioned, is cost. I can't spend it if I don't have it. I have actually got goggles now thanks to livetoski Smile

You have all convinced me to try them on first. That limits me to S&R and EB as none of the other places have. I will shoot past tomorrow with my goggles and see if I can make by always changing mind up.
I like the vent advice as I do overheat easily.

Why shouldn't you have a gap between helmet and goggles?
latest report
p.s. just wait till next years heated debate on what boots I should get NehNeh Laughing Laughing
snow report
AlanB1976, Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are you going to be able to dress yourself with all this shiny new gear when you get there? wink
snow conditions
It will start just like this one, innocently asking for any advice between 2 choices, ending up with page long debates Laughing . Like I said, I don't intend for debates
ski holidays
Colin B, oh god.... more problems.... I better start a thread about it Laughing
ski holidays
http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Ski_Helmets.html
latest report
AlanB1976, there is a skiwear4less in bristol I think.
snow report
Unfortunately not. There used to be. I already called them about that
snow conditions
AlanB1976, http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Roadshows.html there is a road show coming to bristol Smile 30 0ctober
ski holidays
AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG..... I'm not going to be here on that weekend Sad
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
clarky999,

What makes them by FAR the best protection. Not saying they aren't, but curious as to what it is specifically about them that validates this claim as compared to say Giro or POC?

Most decent helmets use an ABS plastic shell (the really cheap ones use worse plastic) and an EPS foam liner. Sweet (on the Rocker/Trooper/Rooster) use BOTH an ABS shell and a carbon fibre one, and EPP foam (more expensive, but works better in the cold, absorbs impact better, and has better 'memory' of the foam cells - so it is much more capable of taking multiple hits effectively). Also they have a unique 'occipital grip' shape, that I find much more retentive on my head than any other lid I've tried. As I say, I've got three of them, and doubt I'll ever use another brand, as they've protected my head so well from many rock impacts whilst kayaking. Pricey, but my head is worth more to me. Especially at current prices...

It's worth pointing out that any helmet on sale will meet minimum standards - but these aren't very high. As far as I'm aware* [EDIT, INFO ON THE ACTUAL TESTS HAS BEEN LINKED TO ABOVE, I WAS WRONG]

*Please correct me if you know differently.

*ANOTHER EDIT* - the Sweet Rambler/Wanderer don't have full carbon fibre shells, only a small area of re-inforcement on the top.
latest report
Any friends with helmets? We solved a similar problem by having someone try on all ours and then just order online the one that fits. I think £50 is the most any of us have spent so far, your budget isn't crazy. Or just hire this time, it is usually < £10, and on a couple of occasions ime, free Wink
snow report
Stuck on that front as well. Since I'm new to UK in general, not much of a friend base and there is only 2 at work that enjoy skiing. One has a super large head so his helmets won't fit and I'm too scared to ask the other as he loves to talk and a simple question will end up with him talking for about 2 hours.
I'm swinging past S&R after work today with my goggles and will try what they have. Like I said, they all feel weird at first but maybe I can find one that is the least amount of weird. Pretty much accepting a price of £50 or so then as they only stock the name brands. Even online they are not cheap.
If I don't come right there, I'll organise to go past EB.
snow conditions
Decathlon are OK. Had a high speed head banging wipe out last Dec and came through unscathed, except 2 displaced fractures in left hand. Hat unmarked.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy