Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stubai or Hintertux

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going skiing with my wife and the kids this weekend. We went about 3 weeks ago to Hintertux and the conditions were so good I'm tempted to go again but I've never been skiing on the Stubai Glacier and fancy giving it a try. Can anybody give me an idea of how the two places compare at this time of year - not in terms of current conditions which look good on both but in terms of extent of pistes, difficulty etc. Is there anywhere else you would recommend ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
downhillalltheway, I did two weeks many years ago with one week in Stubai and one at Hintertux. I enjoyed Hintertux best for the slopes which are little steeper and more challenging while Stubai was good because we had a good dump of snow that week. Having said that, looking at the piste maps Stubai is now showing mostly red runs, although I'm sure when I went they were mainly graded blue. Puzzled Samerberg Sue will be able to give you a more up to date view and I'm sure she'll spot this thread soon.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geepee, I'd say most of the runs on the Stubai are right on that red/blue line. I haven't skied Hintertux so can't compare the two, but I like Stubai, and am looking forward to skiing there in a few days when I get back to Innsbruck.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, The other point is that glaciers aren't static slopes, so there must be some variation over the years.

downhillalltheway, I would say if you enjoyed Hintertux you will also enjoy Stubai, so what have you to lose by trying something new. Then you can make up your own mind and will have experienced a new mountain. Next time you'll be able to decide which one suits your mood. You can't lose. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
downhillalltheway,

Hintertux is my favourite glacier, altough I've been both there and the Stubai glacier several times.

There's a good selection of runs at Stubai and you won't be disappointed if you give it a go. It's definitely worth the trip and you can then do your own comparison of the two.

The village of Neustift (about 12km from the glacier) is beautiful, although small & compact, with a good selection of very reasonably priced B & Bs, hotels & restaurants.

To complicate things the glaciers at Kaprun, Pitztal and Soelden are also worth a visit....... wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Does anyone know how much of the skiing at Stubai is actually on the glacier/where the glacial boundaries are?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bergmeister wrote:
To complicate things the glaciers at Kaprun, Pitztal and Soelden are also worth a visit....... wink
Not to mention Molltal (probably has the most snow right now) and Kaunertal. I've done them all but keep returning to Hintertux. It's the most complete in terms of lifts, gradient, snow, hotels and can even muster up some off season apres in the Hohenhaus Tenne.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have spent a fair time skiing on both, must admit I'd tend towards Hintertux, but both good.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
Does anyone know how much of the skiing at Stubai is actually on the glacier/where the glacial boundaries are?

You don't really see that it is a glacier, it's snow covered and pisted like any other resort. The only give away is a few crevasses off to the side of the main area. Stubai is split over a few glaciers on different aspects of the mountain.

There is plenty to do there for a days skiing at the moment. There are enough lifts open to avoid most of the draglifts if you need to.

Neustift is the most convenient place to stay if you going for the weeken, lots of bargains on the net, I only paid 40eu per night for a hotel last weekend.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:

You don't really see that it is a glacier, it's snow covered and pisted like any other resort. The only give away is a few crevasses off to the side of the main area. Stubai is split over a few glaciers on different aspects of the mountain.

There is plenty to do there for a days skiing at the moment. There are enough lifts open to avoid most of the draglifts if you need to.

Neustift is the most convenient place to stay if you going for the weeken, lots of bargains on the net, I only paid 40eu per night for a hotel last weekend.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy