Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nervous intermediate..not been skiing for 4 years - dryslope, fridge or not bother?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'll hopefully be skiing in Jan-Feb, hopefully Alpe D'Huez. I am a low-level intermediate with about 4 weeks total of skiing under my belt.

The last time I went skiing was 4 years ago in L2A; thoroughly enjoyed it. Pretty much stuck to the blues in L2A.

I am based in Cardiff and I tried Cardiff dry slope last year, but was very nervous and could barely remember how to turn!

The slope seemed quite narrow and I had no confidence at all. Didn't help that I had to try to avoid the two groups of beginners....which I did (just about).

The question is - should I bother going to the dry slope again, try a bigger dry slope with a lot more room (such as Gloucester or Pontypool), go to the Tamworth Fridge (near to mum and dad) or leave it until the holiday and blow away the cobwebs on some gentles blues/greens.

I intend to get some lessons on holiday (either private or group).

Cheers

Dobby
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Dobby

I'd recommend getting some refresher lessons (perhaps a couple of privates) at a dry slope of dome before you head away in Jan/Feb.

If you can go to Tamworth at a quiet time it might be worth considering however weekends and evenings at this time of year at all the domes will tend to be getting busy which isn't a great confidence builder.

Dry slopes are likely to be a little bit quieter but will be busier at weekend peak times than at other times, I wouldn't expect Gloucester (where I work as an instructor) to be nearly as crowded as Tamworth though.

Be aware that some people hate the surface at dry slopes, personally I think probably because they can be quite unforgiving of mistakes, particularly if made at speed! They do tend to ski slower than snow though and the hardpacked crushed ice that you'll get at Tamworth (which can be very fast and hard to fall on) so if given a chance can be an excellent surface for practising on IMHO.

Perhaps it's even worth considering a couple of confidence building sessions on dry and then giving it a go at a dome.

Best of luck whatever you decide and feel free to PM me for more details of what's available at Gloucester

Cheers Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
private lesson on the dryslope? tend to be cheap (er than snow ones, or fridge) and with private tuition you can go at your own pace and often get a decent instructor - one or two of my group find some prep on dryslope very helpful indeed, so it's worth a try. I _wouldn't_ do dryslope free skiing if already nervous - it doesn't seem to help ime.

On mountain I think tuition hours are important if you are normal-nervous - so if you could only afford 4 or 5 hours of privates, i'd take group lessons instead. If money not such an issue group in the am and a couple of privates in afternoons is a good combo. If you are mega-nervous private lessons even on the holiday are a must - trailing around terrified at the back of a group all week is no use to anyone!

Maybe see you in Alpe d'Huez - we are there last week in Jan snowHead

aj xx
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers, Roga. The lack of confidence is odd. I used to be OK confidence-wise (crap technically, but no problem with confidence). I don't mind hurtling on my road bike down a hill at 40-50mph, but I couldn't seem to get up much more than a snail's pace on skis on the carpet last year.

I think I'll get a couple of lessons. If I can manage to get to Gloucester on a day off or similar, I'll pm you.

Cheers

Dobby
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AJ - may see you at Alpe D'Huez. I'll be one of those skiing like I've got a broom stuck somewhere painful.....with a ten year old nutcase zooming past me shouting "Keep up dad".....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dobby, was the slope very dry at Cardiff? That might well have slowed you down and made the turns a lot more difficult if you aren't used to the surface. This is the case particularly for beginner and intermediate level skiers who tend to rely on a limited range of movement to initiate turns on snow. Dealing with this on dry will in fact help make turning easier and more efficient on snow too, so it's definitely good practice for the real stuff Very Happy

Most dry slopes these days (including Gloucester) have a water sprinkling system which wets the matting and makes sliding a lot easier, not sure of Cardiff does though? However if it's warm, especially during the day, and there's a bit of a breeze the matting can still dry up quite quickly and skiing, particularly on hire equipment, can become a bit of a slog.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy