Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone have any comments on the following skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Have you skied them? If so what did you think? What sort of skier would you reccommend them for?

Salomon SC
Salomon Streetracer
Salomon Scrambler Hot
Salomon Scrambler 8
Rossi B1

Many thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Salomon Streetracer - I bought a pair of these based on the fun I had on them at Castleford, but it was a totally different matter out on the real mountain.

They are surprisingly unresponsive, considering they are meant for 'supercharged carving' but that may partly be down to my technique. I swapped skis with a friend (Line darksiders... a bit like salomon 1080) and he said the same thing. In fact I didn't want to give his skis back!!!

Forget about the fast schuss. As soon as you hit about 20 mph, the front of the skis start flapping up and slapping you in the face. It got so bad I had to buy a helmet for protection wink

All in all, don't bother!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think we played with Streetracer 8s and Scrambler 8s (7s?) in Wengen last Jan. We are both pretty reasonable skiers IMHO wink it's no indication of anything but the better half likes really hard boots (Lange R130s) and Volkl "race dep" skis, I like my 215s...(only for fun days and moguls) and we have tried quite a lot of kit.

I don't want to offend anyone who owns these skis so I will apologise in advance.

Streetracers (8s?) were sort of fun in a "if I had a really awful hangover and had to lie down in the shower before I collapsed" kind of way - very easy to ski on, carved soft snow perfectly well, but required virtually no effort and gave virtually nothing back. That said, if you are learning to carve then I reckon they'd be a good learning tool.

Paul Holland, "supercharged carving"? Try my 215s... They can't seriously say that about them can they? Shoot the marketeer!

The Scramblers were wider underfoot and felt it. Slow edge to edge, little grip, little response, sorry, just awful. No idea why anyone would produce them let alone ski on them. I wouldn't recommend them for anyone. Horrible yellow colour clashed with my ochre ski pants too, so a fashion disaster to boot.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Salomon SC - blue skier who wants to think they are an expert racer (might take lessons)
Salomon Streetracer - blue skier who wants to feel they are an expert (doesn't think they need lessons)
Salomon Scrambler Hot - blue skier who wants to think they are an expert off piste (will punch you if you suggest lessons)
Salomon Scrambler 8 - blue skier who says they ski blacks (might take lessons)
Rossi B1 - blue/red skier who likes cruising without pushing it. Not pretentious. (might take lessons)

(Oh, and I have skiied some of them, so I'm basing this on my experience)

(also, I am not anti-Salomon, as I have used their race skis in the past)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A friend of mine (female) has bought some Scramblers, after hiring them on holiday. She loved them, but is of low-intermediate standard. I'm not sure if they were Scrambler 8s.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing

Well put!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Rossi B1's are great fun on piste and in the slopeside powder. I used a pair for two seasons and found them great edge to edge, very responsive, forgiving in the moguls, easy to carve, and very confidence inspiring. They're also excellent for on-piste powder and not too deep off piste. A pretty much go anywhere ski suitable for early intermediates up to advanced - only limited by a lack of width underfoot in the deep stuff (Rossi recommend them for people who ski 25-30% off piste, 70-75% on piste). They're also pretty light and flexible therefore not to demanding on the legs for the all day mile crunchers. A great all-rounder.

The B1's gave me the confidence to hit the powder and take me to the next level with my skiing. Have now upgraded to the Rossi B2's for those awsome powder days Very Happy

I used Salomon Crossmax 08's and 10's before the Rossi's - would never go back now.

Hope this helps, roll on december ...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, should have asked before...why do you ask?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1, not MORE new skis?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a pair of the old Rossi BanditX the years before the B1/2/3's were released. Although they were a bit stiffer than the B1's they were very nice skis, I could get more rebound off them than my B2's anyway.

There again I am a blue/red skier who likes cruising without pushing it, I'm not pretentious and do take lessons. wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
last season did a course on a pair of b1's - OK for cruising, but shorter radius carves, deep powder nah - everytime I'd go for the B2 if choosing between B1 or B2 - it's a great everyday, do everything ski - and the most popular on/off piste ski in the world.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got a pair of Streetracer 10s and although I agree that they are not good when pushed (actually pretty bad). They are a good ski to use when skiing slowly on gentle slopes, and would be good for learning to carve on, as I found them very forgiving. I use mine when skiing with my girlfriend who is a timid skier. I once tried this while using a pair of Atomic GS skis and found it very difficult to manoeuvre around at very low speeds or I went too quickly and left her behind.
I also take lessons and go training on a dry ski slopes throughout the year and use the salomons as they are are forgiving and that is what you need when attempting to do new things. For example, I wouldn't even attempt to ski on one leg jumping up and down with the Atomics.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidb wrote:
I wouldn't even attempt to ski on one leg jumping up and down with the Atomics.

But that's the correct technique on GS skis isn't it? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidb, David Murdoch, They are Streetracer 8. I didn't want to buy myself too much of a ski for my first pair, but I think I underestimated my ski=ing ability/ needs.

I'm not saying they are a desperately bad ski, just boring. If you fancy just pootling around the mountain at a steady pace with a ski that has no surprises, then they are fine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A friend is thinking of buying one of them. He hasn't skied a great deal (4 weeks) but is fast and aggressive and improving very quickly - a natural in fact. He's about 5'10 and I'd estimate about 11 / 12 stone. He is learning to carve / bumps / off piste etc. He is quite determined and keen to improve.

What about the Stockli Stormrider?
ski holidays
beanie1, I've skied on the SC's on my last skiing trip in April this year.

To give you an idea of where I am at, I have been skiing around 8 weeks now and love carving Reds, playing on bumps - can get down pretty much any black now regardless of whether icy, covered in a foot of fresh powder or moghulled and enjoy the challenge (but know I am not brilliant at it), limited off-piste experience. Am male around 5-10/85kg's.

I had them in April, so spent a lot of time skiing ice or slush. I found them quite hard work compared to some other ski's I have had. I definitely felt that they performed better at higher speeds than I was always comfortable at going given the variable conditions. And they definitely felt like they wanted to go.

If your friend is fast and aggressive, then maybe he will like them. I personally only like bombing down slopes when they are in good condition, empty and or I feel 100% in control - and I never felt fully in control of the SC's. (which may mean they were too advanced for me?)

Had very good edge grip on ice (Fine on an icy moghulled black), but somehow never felt particularly stable on steepish reds when being carved in long sweeping turns. Had to be very aggressive with them to get them to turn quickly.

I guess I would describe them as skis for 'boy racers'? Hope this helps ...
snow report
marc gledhill, Sorry, I should have said I do most of my skiing on plastic where using a GS ski isn't really an option. Also I don't think my technique and ability are at a level where I would be confident doing these exercises on snow using a larger ski as I would be going from 160 to a 183.
I have done skiing on one leg on snow, but I need to work on it as I keep putting my foot down so it looks like I am just tapping my ski on the piste. I also want to get the technique sorted using a smaller ski then transfer the technique to the GS ski.
snow conditions
beanie1,

Now you're talking...!! The Stormrider is a great ski,
People call it stiff and it certainly holds an edge which is very desirable considering it is such a good off-piste ski.
But for a keen 4 weeker, I don't know... It would probably be too much ski.
Pretty well all skis have compromises but this is a advanced skiers ski and some things are expected.
It can't be a forceful ski and hold a great line if it is meant for a skier who blows out of a turn.
I suspect it will be too stiff and too unforgiving for anyone making more than a few mistakes which I would expect a 4 weeker to be doing.

I would say don'y buy anything until you have been on it. A B2 might be more helpful to an improver as it has a very large performance envelope and he should grow in to it. At least I would expect the XL to give him more problems than it solves at his stage.

Just my input..!!
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
A friend is thinking of buying one of them. He hasn't skied a great deal (4 weeks) but is fast and aggressive and improving very quickly - a natural in fact. He's about 5'10 and I'd estimate about 11 / 12 stone. He is learning to carve / bumps / off piste etc. He is quite determined and keen to improve.

Volkl Supersport 4* in 168cm. Possibly the 5* in same length if he's a lot heavier than you think. Both are great skis and are waaay superior to the Sallies you listed.

He can buy last years model now at a great price, ski them for a season & then if he wants to upgrade he can punt them on for minimal loss. That's what I did with my 5* - in hindsight I should have kept them for the Lions nights Sad

Or if he really wants to go for it then Atomic M11's in 162cm like Rockyrobin has just ordered.

EB's at Castleford have demo 4/5*'s & M11's.
snow report
I got my Volkl supersport 4* from filarinskis.com great shop. Delivery was a tenner and they came within 24 hours of dispatch. Got em for £200 inc bindings. They have rossignol zentih as well on sale z5 are only £250 inc binding. Better make it quick though I think they are selling pretty fast.
ski holidays
Thanks for the input guys.
latest report
Has anyone skies this year's ('05/'06) B2 model. I hear it's slightly stiffer and wider than last years model-which i would see as a good thing.

I only ask because i'm pretty sure i am going to get a pair for an instructor course next season, and just wanted some feedback before buying..

Cheers
ski holidays
Chris_5000, this year's Rossi B2 is NARROWER than last year's. Basically 04/05 B2 = 05/06 B3; 04/05 B3 = 05/06 B4
ski holidays
Arno,

Are you sure? From what I've read the B2 is 78mm at the waist this year whereas it was 76mm last year. I thought the B4 was just an extra fat all off-piste ski they've added to the top of the range, whereas the B3 can still be skied on piste as well as off?
snow report
Hmm...I thought they were going to be bigger this year. But then....I could have imagined it Puzzled
latest report
Elizabeth B,

It is bigger.

http://www.untracked.com/highlight-176134.html

From what I can deduce from this website - the B1 and B2 are basically the same as last year with a few changes such as the B2 being bigger. This year's B4 is last year's B3. This year's B3 is a new ski added to the range.
snow report
beanie1, i stand corrected. for some reason i thought the b2 (04/05) was 82mm underfoot
latest report
beanie1, just wait until you see all the Scratch models. Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy