Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

zakopane (Poland)

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

First time posting. Was just wondering if people had reviews about this resort, what is the snow like, the pistes, off-piste conditions, tips, things to watch out for, any helpful hints in general, couldn't see any thing about it in Resort / Trip Reports - Alphabetical index thread. Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pjmc84, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Never been, but my nephew has. He enjoyed the cultural experience (he went with a good friend who's a second generation Polish immigrant) and the vodka but said the skiing was pants. He's been spoilt by skiing since he was 4 in Austria and France. frinstance, he had to pay separately for each lift - no lift pass. the snow conditions were bad when he was there though - they're no doubt often better. He had his most spectacular crash ever, snowboarding on-piste but it was covered with rocks and he did quite a few of them on his face.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been in the summer, the town was delightful, and so cheap.

The walking was also fantastic, but that's not what you want to know.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've also been there in summer, and the queues for the lifts were horrendous - especially the cable car. It did put me off going skiing there, since I would imagine that there would be even more people using the lifts in the winter. I would consider it for cross country skiing, as the area is really nice, and the town quite pretty (in a very touristy way).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The main high area has only 2 chair lifts (and 2 runs) which you reach by long gondola, it is high for Poland - probably around 2000mtr but there is no snowmaking allowed (as it is in national park), so I think last year it did not open at all until sth like late February!! I guess it can be good with lots of snow but it is not guaranteed at all.
The rest around the city is very fragmented, each area at best got one chair and one or two short runs, gets very busy and all of them need separate lift tickets and bus rides between them.
There are few places to check close to Zakopane, like Bialka Tatrzanska, most modern facilities in Poland (4 or 5 chairs) but very easy and busy slopes.

I would not bother to go there just for skiing. It is nothing at all to compare to Alps or other bigger places. It is good for locals etc only I would say or to experience the country etc.
Much better places in Slovakia, just behind the boarder.

wink

Mountains are beautiful.
Food, drink, culture, nightlife, girls etc will be good for sure!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cheers for the feedback guys most appreciated, (oh and keep em coming)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know someone who went there to learn to ski, due to getting a really really budget deal, and she said it was great. Good cheap food, lotsa booze, easy slopes, good instruction.

If you even slightly know what you're doing though, it looks fairly pointless and quite remote and hard to get to.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
that's pretty much the vibe, great value for money esp for beginners but a bit poo-poo for intermediates, the group that is going is a mixture of both and cost is a major factor if any one has some other suggestions that would be great looking at places in Slovakia as well.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see this forum doesn't like bad language Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pjmc84 wrote:
cost is a major factor if any one has some other suggestions that would be great looking at places in Slovakia as well.

What's your budget? Total spend per person?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pjmc84, You could look at http://www.jasna.sk/en/ in Slovakia. Supposed to be good.
Otherwise try to find cheap TO deals to Andora or last minute deals to reasonable priced places.
Like Mayrhofen in Austria or Livigno in Italy.
There are some very good deals to Livigno (I think with Nielson Ski, specially last minute), place is brilliant for beginners and lower intermediates. Tax free alcohol in shops, reasonable prices for food, good snow, brilliant views, busy nightlife. Or if you DIY they offer free ski passes for some accommodations before XMS and in April.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 18-10-11 15:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suspect that Livigno (or loads of other places) would be a better deal - beginners need better conditions than intermediates, who can cope with big chunks of grass and rocks etc. If you struck very lucky with the snow conditions you could have a good time, by the sound of it, but still somewhere with facilities which don't compare - paying separately for each lift in unfamiliar currency, with freezing cold hands? enough to put beginners off for life, probably.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tom, Yep was looking at Jasna, seems to be better piste and snow-wise, the lack of piste maintenance in Zakopane worries me if it aint a good season it will be multiplied by crap piste maintenance.

Paulio, the budget would be around €1000-€1200 (preferably €1000) including beering it up and food.

Pam I agree in terms of snow, what I mean by it seems to suit the beginner I mean the piste difficulty is low and an intermediate can get bored.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pjmc84 wrote:
Paulio, the budget would be around €1000-€1200 (preferably €1000) including beering it up and food.

Ah right. Well you can go pretty much wherever you like for that sort of money. Shop around a bit. There's no need to fixate on Eastern Europe if you've got as much as that to spend.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

the piste difficulty is low and an intermediate can get bored.

my nephew isn't a beginner; he got nearly killed, not bored. Twisted Evil

paulio is right; that's not a bad budget! You could have two separate week's holiday in a French UCPA centre for 1200 euros, with full board, tuition, lift pass, equipment hire. Even the beer, if you choose a low-season week.
latest report
pjmc84, This is a good budget for most places in Europe, considering reasonable accommodation etc.
On my DIY Austria holiday I manage with 120-130£ per skiing day (for 6-8 days holiday), including absolutely everything, even airport parking and dog boarding wink
We don't do heavy nightlife though, for this there could be no limit.
snow report
i would agree with Tom on a Livigno late deal
i got a neilson apt deal in 2008 for £265 each
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy