Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Was 'Convertible Gloves' now orangey yellowy leather gloves favoured by instructors ;-)

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmot-Mens-Windstopper-Convertible-Gloves/dp/B003W4TMX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318842575&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21

EDIT with an update (have deleted original post by mistake so sorry if this doesn't make sense to newcomers)

Arrived this morning. Very pleased with them and fit well, phew. The mitt bit is magnetised so stays back out of the way. True test will be in the mountains obviously. I would say that they will be good for 90% of my skiing time approx - maybe not for very wet days and will have to see if any draught gets in to fingertips in extremely cold weather.
Now they all want a pair rolling eyes Toofy Grin

I will be looking out for you all wearing your orangey yellowy numbers Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-10-11 12:38; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

All the French locals and instructors ALL use these yellowy orangey coloured full leather gloves that look a bit like builder gloves.... They must be wearing them for a reason so I asked my instructor where to buy them from after looking in the Chamonix ski shops and couldn't see them anywhere (there were similar full leather gloves for about £100-£150 but nothing exactly the same), he told me they are really cheap gardening gloves and you can buy them in some French DIY shop but wouldn't tell me where; must be a local secret!

I got home and looked on the internet for hours and finally found a place you can buy them in the UK. They are £18 inc. P&P and come in two sizes; M or L, they are really awesome gloves, keep your hands warm and let them breathe as they are made from natural leather... They are far better than the £60 DaKine gloves I had before and bought a spare pair just in case I loose them.

Here's the link if you're interested...
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/sec03123ed906/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/ssvenitexFBF1510

Couldn't recommend them more!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I found a similar solution to the same problem was to get some inner gloves with outer mitts that go over them. Basically means I can just pull the mitt off and still have a nice warm hand because I've not exposed any skin to the air - with the above I wonder if the bare finger tips might get cold in extreme conditions.

The market for that glove, I guess, is probably smokers who want to be able to pull the top of the glove off on a chairlift.

Only question I'd have on the ones you've found is whether any cold air etc will get in to the finger tip pocket. If they've got a good system for that then they might be good.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
junglist_matty wrote:

bought a spare pair just in case I loose them.

Now if you had 'convertible' gloves you wouldn't lose them wink
Seriously they do look like a good buy though I'm looking at trying ones that have a fingerless/full mitt option. Thanks for link though.

Monium hmm yes it depends on what the technology is like around the pocket bit I suppose. Might give them a whirl. I have a down-filled pair which I have for cold conditions (they were too hot for me last season).

I don't smoke but can see the benefits of being able to lipsalve/use tissue/use zips without fully exposing hand to cold air.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lou wrote:
Now if you had 'convertible' gloves you wouldn't lose them wink

I have a shoestring I put through my jacket and attach to the gloves, they have hooks so easy to do... More so if I loose them through lost baggage or misplaced or stolen rather than lost on the slopes.... touch wood, I've not lost a pair on the slopes to date!

Lou wrote:
Seriously they do look like a good buy though I'm looking at trying ones that have a fingerless/full mitt option. Thanks for link though.

No worries, thought they maybe an option as they don't have a separate liner like most gloves so are the easiest gloves to take on and off...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
junglist_matty, that's a very useful link, thanks.

Do you have any? What do you reckon to the sizes?

we are in France at the moment - might have a look in Point P or a gardening centre.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
junglist_matty, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
junglist_matty, that's a very useful link, thanks.

Do you have any? What do you reckon to the sizes?

we are in France at the moment - might have a look in Point P or a gardening centre.

I was so happy when I found them, you have no idea how long it took me looking through websites and shops to find them!

I have the size 10 and it fits me good, my hands are "normal" man size I guess, I usually buy size Large gloves and these fit me well... I don't know how small the size 8 gloves are... Maybe size 10,8,6... are a French hand size thing? Not sure really?

They are very good gloves though; all the French instructors and guides in Chamonix use them religiously, they are a soft natural leather with a nice comfy warm inside that let your hands breathe so no sweaty soggy hands from gripping poles (which is the problem I had with my old gloves).

livetoski wrote:

Have you got / ordered some?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
junglist_matty,
Quote:

Yep we have lots of them wink

The size are a Euro sizing, they are only made in size 8 10 and 11, the 11 is for people with shovel hands only. Masssive! Sorry they do not make a small size!

The 8 is based around a normal medium male hand size, these gloves do over time take up the shape of the wearers hand so its better to have them a little tight to start with. We also recommend treating them with a leather treatment like nixwax to fully water proof them, as they do not come fully treated from the factory.

I did alot of work finding them too, and also even more work getting Google to ping through too them, if you type in "leather skiing gloves" to Google the UK shopping picture on the first page of Google should show these gloves. Now I just have to keep them there for the rest of the winter Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:

Last winter the Weldom in Megeve was as cheap as anywhere else.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've seen a pair of livetoski's gloves and if you can source a better pair of ski gloves in the UK for less than double the price you'd be doing very well. For those visiting N America you can sometimes find deerskin or half deerski winter work gloves by the likes of Kinco that do the same sort of job.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski wrote:
junglist_matty,
Quote:

Yep we have lots of them wink

The size are a Euro sizing, they are only made in size 8 10 and 11, the 11 is for people with shovel hands only. Masssive! Sorry they do not make a small size!

The 8 is based around a normal medium male hand size, these gloves do over time take up the shape of the wearers hand so its better to have them a little tight to start with. We also recommend treating them with a leather treatment like nixwax to fully water proof them, as they do not come fully treated from the factory.

I did alot of work finding them too, and also even more work getting Google to ping through too them, if you type in "leather skiing gloves" to Google the UK shopping picture on the first page of Google should show these gloves. Now I just have to keep them there for the rest of the winter Little Angel

On the sizing, they look like they are the same as the standard sizing from Arco and similar. Anyone with a local Arco, Screwfix or similar can go in and try on almost any of their range of gloves, and find some that fit and most others should fit - example I have fairly normal bloke sized hands and size 10 fits me in everything from thermal work gloves through to waterproof fishermans gloves, and no doubt these as well.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, thanks, but you have now set me on a mission to find the US gloves as well, Oh well it was fun finding the French ones wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski, maybe you could combine a mission to find some top convertible gloves/mitts ? wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lou, OK I am looking maybe just maybe, I will post up as soon as I know, the other reason all the guides and instructors use the yellow/tan leather ski gloves is that they are easy to take off and have a fag as the lining does not pull out or get stuck on your fingers, so there is less chance of the the old, whoops there goes my glove off the chair lift Shocked
snow conditions
livetoski, Take a gander at the Kinco website then decide what kind of dead animal turns you on - deer, pig, goat, buffalo,cow....
latest report
junglist_matty, Keep your eye on E bay same gloves .....much cheaper Toofy Grin
latest report
fatbob, already got the Kinco site up and running, road kill gloves sounds good to me, that has got to be the green option Toofy Grin

Boredsurfing, Flea Bay I was really surprised by the amount of Hestra gloves on ebay I can never get my head round why major brands who wish to maintain an exclusive profile allow their products to be sold on ebay.
ski holidays
Ordered some gloves from Snow Shepherd last night to see what all the fuss is about and they arrived this morning first thing with some hand warmers thrown in. Top service + highly recommended.

Think I'll be sticking to the Hestras most of the time but can see myself getting some use out of the work gloves. Size 8 fits bigger than actual size 8 gloves but just about right for me.
ski holidays
Alans deep bath,
Quote:

with some hand warmers thrown in

cheers, hand warmers how the F did they get in there wink might be a WD thing, size is cos they are work gloves, nightmare on checking every pair before I send out, but they will mould into your hand shape after a little use, I have pulled out a few size 8's that are more like 7's or 6's so small in other words!!
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:

I've just realised that its your website I bought my second pair from Wink

Thanks, was very impressed with the next day delivery... Great service! I may have to order some of the protective sealant you stock!
latest report
I'm with Junglist_matty. Just received mine. Fabulous gloves and great service from Snow Shepherd
ski holidays
I'm with Junglist_matty. Just received mine. Fabulous gloves and great service from Snow Shepherd
latest report
snow report
Alans deep bath, livetoski, ian999, just got mine, yay. Will try in Schladming in December, keeping my trusty dakines in my pack just in case.
ski holidays
livetoski, I have been trying to order a size 10 pair but site wont let me create a shopping list. Can you help?
snow report
livetoski, I'm probably going to pick up a pair myself. On the site you mention that leather conditioner should be used - is this the Nikwax stuff that you also recommend?
latest report
They've got the sheepskin lined leather ones in "Station Peinture" in Chamonix at the moment, would expect any decent quincaillerie to carry them in the run up to winter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got home and my Snowshepherd gloves are here, gloves were a freebie with a couple of pairs of merino socks (and some handwarmers as well, I don't ever seem to need the things but the kids think they are great so thanks very much!). Mine will get a dose of hestra leather balm as it certainly does the job on my Hestras. Think I'll be sticking to the Hestras as my main glove but these will make a great backup pair of ski gloves and perfect for defrosting the car in a morning!
snow conditions
I've just ordered a pair for winter cycle commuting. I haven't yet found cycling gloves that are warm enough.

Last winter, I bought some cheapish ski gloves with Primaloft insulation that were plenty warm enough but the Primaloft is slippery between the outer layers - not great when you're gripping handlebars and trying to flick through gears. Am hoping these babies will solve my problem.

livetoski, how about stocking those stretchy rubber ski straps?
latest report
Got mine a couple of weeks ago and a few shots of the hestra balm has turned them from an bright pale yellow to a dark golden honey colour ( got to sound better than 'orangey yellow'). Bring on the snow.........
snow conditions
I have Hestra balm. It smells just like good old-fashioned dubbin. Is it the same stuff?
snow report
Zero-G, Seems a bit softer and easier to work into the leather to me. Dubbin just seemed to sit on the surface of leather from what I remember where as this soaks in.
snow report
livetoski, The Kinco 901 look a reasonable buy - I see they get a mention or two on TGR. Are you thinking of of getting some in ?
snow report
livetoski, I'd like a set of 1930 Axeman Mitts. They look the dogs, like you could really slap someone about the face with them before a duel. Best combination of mitt with a "fingered" liner as well, plus I bet they are dirt cheap.

Agree with deerman on the 901s though - apparently ski gloves so probably a good place to start.
ski holidays
Well I've ordered two pairs of the orangey yellow gloves today. Let's see how they are when they arrive next week!
latest report
Just how good are "orangey yellowy" for a sweaty skier like myself? Breathable and easy to take off sounds great (i'm not a smoker, though living in austria I may as well be) livetoski, Son't supposed you could chuck in an ABS bag if I order some "orangey yellowy" Puzzled
ski holidays
hi guys sorry for slow reply on the questions, I was at the ski show, back now so will tick off the questions for you. I have been packing gloves all day to get out in the post Monday for any one still waiting for there gloves from Thursday and Frdiay orders Very Happy

grahamsm1, not sure why you can not add to shopping list, it maybe that you have not logged into the web site or your browser is not accepting cookies that control the shopping lists.

slipper, Yes we use the nik wax which I have on the site as well, it works pretty well, and keeps the leather breathable, the Hestra leather balm is also very good, the nix wax will also darken the leather and help hide any marks on the leather.

deerman, I am looking in to other gloves as well, but as with most things on my site we like to test things first, so its not always a quick process to get new stuff up and running, however these types of gloves are pretty standard.

waynos, no, but will always chuck in a pair of gloves with an airbag. Toofy Grin
snow report
Doing too many things at once here Embarassed and have edited OP instead of new post.
latest report
Two pairs of these arrived this morning, one for him and one for me. I've always wanted a pair of these and now livetoski is stocking them in a size 8 (slightly big but I want warm hands) I'm going to try them out this season. Happy. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy