Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transceiver practise in London, 20th Nov at 1pm

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Zero-G,
Thanks again for organising a very productive (See other transceiver thread) afternoon. Ditto on the leader issue. I'm definitely up for another bash.
Great to put faces to screen names; to see the new sH t-shirt and buff thingy as modelled by Admin (how do I order these).
Thanks to snowball, for an excellent seafood dinner and wine. Poor Mrs snowball, learned more about the rarified question of is skiing without a prostate easier with or without Marker Barons than than she ever wanted to hear (conclusion - it makes no difference). Extremely patient woman.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Big Paua, If only I'd known about the prostate! Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob wrote:
Zero-G I've always wondered about pre assigning rescue leader , 2nd in command etc before setting out for the excursion but wondered if in the heat of the moment it would all go tits up depending on personal panic levels and slope position such that its fairly useless. Essentially it seems to a duty that would fall most often to tailgunner which is a good reason for them not being the least experienced member of the party.

I suspect that in a real world situation a natural leader will just take charge of a crisis situation. Hopefully.

That said, practising both leading a rescue and working as part of a rescue team it may save precious minutes one day. The more you drill, the more it becomes second nature, the more likely you are to stay calm in the situation you have drilled for. (Yes, yes, you can call me the sargeant major Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Big Paua, (and everyone else) it was a pleasure and didn't take any effort to organise other than to pop on here from time to time.

I would definitely like to do it again with a little more structure if everyone else is up for that. Hmmm, now I wonder if Her Majesty's park services will object to us practising digging...?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Re: the amateur dramatics - my pleasure.

Can we once say many many thanks for the organisation, there is absolutely no substitute for doing it and doing it again (ahem). As there are only two Badpandas we cannot do three burials except in a park so this was very good.

As for leaders, the BMC off piste essentials dvd (which I cannot recommend enough btw) says that a leader is the best, but of course not always practicable, depending on numbers, communication, make-up of searchers etc. On the dvd, you could see how having a leader directing things made everything much more efficient but this was an ideal simulation, not a real mountain-everyone-panicking situation.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bump - Sorry to jump in on this thread but Zero-G has any tentative dates been set for another training session?

I missed out on this one but am now all kitted out with my new BCA II so looking forward to getting some practice in Little Angel
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey andyman, no dates as yet. I'm off to Cham for a few weeks but will organise another London session for end of January. Am aiming to do a transceiver sesh when out in Cham, so perhaps I'll come back with some ideas on how to make the session more realistic.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zero-G thanks for the swift response. I am actually away 20/28 Jan in Trois Vallees and like you hope to get some practice in there (I hear Henrys Avalanche Talk is now doing talks there)

Very interested next date and looking forward to meeting then

Enjoy Cham Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy