Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kit advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking about getting some board boots for the coming season but, being one of those awful skiers, don't know a great deal about boarding kit.

I've done a tiny bit of boarding before on hire kit but this season my intention is to get myself as close to BASI L1 standard as I can (I'm already BASI L2 Alpine and working towards my ISIA L3 modules).

Sooo given a choice of Atomic or Salomon kit has anyone got any recommendations, particularly with regards boots?

I was thinking in terms of all terrain kit and maybe Atomic Cavalier or Slasher boots, one has medium flex and the other soft. What kind of flex should I be looking for and is like ski boots where the more expert you are the higher you tend to crank your flex (depending on size and weight of course). My legs are already pretty strong given weekly gym and training sessions as well as training on dry so does that affect the kinda of flex I should be looking for?

Loads of questions really but what about decent boards and bindings to partner the boots, again thinking in terms of Atomic and Salomon and don't want to spend a fortune ... already spending on ski equipment yeek!

Any advice welcome just try not to confuse this poor ignorant skier too much Wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, IMO.........

Not a fan of soft boots. They're all right in fridges and buggering around in the park, but for all mountain riding you would want something stiffer. All boots soften up quite quickly anyway, and having anything resembling wet noodles transmitting your inputs into the board is not a good thing. I currently run Ion HD's and though initially quite stiff, have softened up nicely after about ten weeks riding.

As regards other kit, buy decent branded stuff. Bargains can be picked up by buying (new) stuff a year or two out of date, when the fashionista have lost interest. Good equipment doesn't age that fast.

Bindings, I prefer alum base (ie Ride), but any good strong named binding will do. Boards are a little bit different, you need to ride a few to get some idea, and as you progress your taste will almost certainly change. F'rinstance I ride a rocker, but would hesitate to recommend it to a beginner, if I were you I'd start on a 'normal' cambered board. Again just get something decent, and don't believe all the hype.

As regards more personal recommendations, well they're just that, when it comes to snowboarding.

And good luck.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice BCjohnny, so would "moderate" stiffness be okay or should I be looking for something stiffer than that?

I'm presuming it's probably sensible to go for boots first and maybe wait and see for the rest of the gear or would I be best just getting the lot?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't go for a particular brand or type, go to a shop and try a bunch on and see what suites your foot shape and feels really comfortable, I had to return some boots and try a few more before I realised how comfortable they can be. I brought a pair of solamon Dialogs a few years back and they are still more comfy than my hike boots, a good close fit is important for transmitting your movements to the board Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe to begin with 'moderately' stiff boot (ie 'medium') might help you progress quicker than a harder boot. They may even suit you style and you'll stay with them full stop. My preference for harder boots may not be yours, ultimately. 'Soft' soft boots have their place, just that I don't think they make good all mountain boots. Try lots of makes on and find one that fits your foot (or can be made to), one that's comfortable but doesn't allow your foot to move around.....same as choosing a ski boot in many respects.

I think I'm right in saying you instruct (skiing)? So why not get some boots initially and explore your contacts for bindings/boards to try out before buying? Either that or maybe look on eBay for some decent branded bindings (about £30-50) and a decent branded board (£50-100) of regular flex in the right length (or maybe a tad shorter). Good used kit (not worn out) is infinitely better than new 'cheap' kit.

Browse the internet for the myriad of product reviews prior, to get in the ballpark for what might suit you, before buying. But watch out for the hype........

Don't take this the wrong way but when your learning you just need decent middle of the road kit to get going, same as skiing. Your personal preferences will develop when you've got a handle on it, which again takes a while. Just stay away from the low end stuff. Cheap exploding bindings don't do much for the confidence. wink

Sorry, but as regards specific recommendations (brands/models), twenty people will give you twenty different combinations. The only thing I'd add is learn on a trad cambered board, and maybe try a rocker when you're a bit further along the curve.

Again JMO.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowkiter, you posted as I typed. Very Happy

Good advice, even if I say so myself.......lol.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga, I was probably going to get the f22's (?) on the Salomon offer. I'm in a similar situation to you, but did the L1 in beginner Solomon boots which I've had for a few years.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gotta agree - soft boots are great for messing around on parks and domes, but I found my old soft flex Burtons were very sketchy at high-speed where you need instant control over correction. Too much 'play' so to speak, just makes my bumhole twitch too much at fast speeds. I ended up with some Rides that were a lot stiffer, but not so stiff that you felt like you were in ski boots. I just prefer that extra control that the stiffer boots give you. Plus it gives me an excuse as to why I'm absolutely pap in the park Laughing

Deffo have a good look in a good shop where you can try before you buy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AndAnotherThing.., I've some 4 year old (ridden for about 7 weeks) F22s. i really like them compared with the synapses i had before. Really comfy (for me) took 2 to 3 weeks to really bed in but after then perfect. Seem to be holding up well too. I love 'em (but then as is the law o the internet if you'd mentioned some other brand/model someone else would have told you they're the best thing since sliced bread).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
roga, if you're looking on BASI deals, then don't look anywhere other than Salomon. All the other stuff is pretty low-end, token-gesture stuff from ski brands (although Atomic do make some good-value boards - Hatchet always gets a good write-up). Got something with a twin-shape, a normal camber and a moderate amount of stiffness (at BASI1, a flexible board is best for most stuff as it's all beginner-level demos you'll be doing, but it does need to have enough stiffness to let you do some carving on the personal riding side of things).

If you like the F22s you've got, just get another pair of the same ones. Some people don't like the F-series boots because they don't have a removable liner, but again, if you're happy with what you've got, stick with it!

Stiffness-wise, stick mid-range kit. The BASI trainers seem to be quite anti stiff gear as they reckon most riders don't have the skillz to make it work (and I'm talking instructor candidates here, even top-end instructor candidates, not punters!). I got dog's abuse for my Burton T6 board (uber-stiff) until I pointed out it was actually an old Air (pretty soft!).... NehNeh
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what's your take on snowboard boots \ stiffness ?

My choice of f22's was based purely on price as much as anything...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevomcd wrote:
The BASI trainers seem to be quite anti stiff gear as they reckon most riders don't have the skillz to make it work (and I'm talking instructor candidates here, even top-end instructor candidates, not punters!). I got dog's abuse for my Burton T6 board (uber-stiff) until I pointed out it was actually an old Air (pretty soft!).... NehNeh

thats probably becouse the majority of people taking (and passing!) basi 1 are no better than punters (what ever a punter maybe Wink)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got a couple of nice Burton boards (Jeremy Jones 159 and a Custom 165W) for sale, also got a pair of ICS Triad bindings with Infidel straps and C60 ratchets to fit em lovely. Both boards have just been waxed and edged by Ski Lodge in Cardiff.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy