Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski wax vs candle wax

Poster: A snowHead
If I do not add wax, the wax which was there is removed by what I ski on. It is primarily added to protect the base of the ski from damage, and to provide a surface which repels water and so glides on snow.

I do not know really why wax is thought to be superior to not wax!

Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having one day pointed myself down the hill on a yellow-ish wax temperature day and gone absolutely no-where because I hadn't *ever* waxed my equipment that I bought six months before and had used only indoors, I vouch for the useful properties in wax to repel water, provide glide and reduce friction. I will never make that mistake again. A day on my edges was not all that much fun.

Ski Wax for President.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bigtipper wrote:

I understand that the commercial waxes contain some flurocarbons or surfactants which mean that less of the wax is eroded and there is also more water repulsion. I understand the theory.

they are harmful to the environment too and enter the water table via the snow melt (if you buy Evian water it is probably full of them).

Consume too much of them and you will grow breasts, buy a 4x4, start wearing a helmet and Arcteryx ski apparel and refuse to ski on anything with less than 110mm underfoot or with a flex factor of less than 130. You will start wearing an avalanche airbag to go sledging.... in Primrose Hill park. In short, they'll turn you into a flouncing drama queen.

Or maybe that's just drinking branded bottled water that does it?

Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, massive LOL Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used candles last season, but found that I had to ski really slowly as otherwise they just kept blowing out!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gary, you should meet geepee wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gary, that is magic. Really lit up this thread...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thinking of using earwax, seem to have quite a lot spare at the moment, have any other snowheads tried this and with what results.

http://www.symptomfind.com/health/how-to-get-wax-out-of-your-ear/

Edit to add helpful link.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 27-12-11 1:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bigtipper,
Quote:
If I do not add wax, the wax which was there is removed by what I ski on. It is primarily added to protect the base of the ski from damage, and to provide a surface which repels water and so glides on snow.

Any protection offered to the ski will be virtually inconsequential when measured against your own contribution to avoid rocks, and navigate a good line etc. The main reason for wax is to make the skis slide, usually faster and easier, but above all the smile factor (which is why you ski anyway) is that it makes skiing easier and (in)finitely more pleasurable. The trade off you've chosen is to use candle wax more frequently as it saves you some money, plus from your previous posts, you've also confirmed that as the wax wears offs faster, you service/wax your skis more frequently. As briand6868, confirms, he spends around £60 during an incredibly full ski year for two skiers, and it's very clear from your posts you spend considerably less. So, in conclusion I suspect that in reality you save even more money after skiing as the time taken every night to wax your skis is time not spent in the bar! -What a fantastic and cunning plan rolling eyes I also suspect that if you upgraded the quality of your wax, potentially you might possibly enjoy your skiing more, even though it costs a little more, both in wax and in the bar Shock snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jivebaby, you are being very silly indeed. I am fairly certain I will need to wax my skis just as often with the recent ski wax as I did with candle wax. It has never shown any noticeable speed deterioration (to me, and that is what counts) due to using candle wax as opposed to ski wax. Although, I am sure there probably is some small empirical proveable difference, not enough though to justify the difference in price.

As for spending money at the bar, that is a choice you make. It will not buy you what you are looking for though!

Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bigtipper, I value the opinion of some trusted snowheads, especially Dwarf Vader, and Adrian = His suggestion to prove or disprove your theory by removing the candle wax completely from one ski and then painstakingly applying a branded all temperature ski wax, followed by skiing until one or the other requires waxing is rather persuasive and impossible to ignore otherwise your candle wax is the way forward argument is merely an unproven opinion, unlike Dwarf Vader, who has actually run his own controlled tests, versus your own quote =
Quote:
but on pisted snow candle wax lasts quite long.
which I’d humbly suggest is just a tad vague especially as you’ve topped it up with ZNW which is around the price of Frankincense which perhaps rather undermines the austerity drive? I’m also gobsmacked that you think my earnest reply is very silly indeed, but having slept on this response overnight I’m now merely crestfallen, so given time I’ll probably recover my composure completely Cool

I’m not able to challenge your earnest opinions as you’ve not even tested them yourself! rolling eyes

Your own post =
Quote:
I still think candle wax is fine if you apply it more frequently though! I may try rubbing some vaseline on top to see if I can reduce the porosity of the wax!
Sounds like a fantastic idea, especially if combined with the meticulous test conditions suggested by Adrian earlier in the topic. I don’t know whether anyone else is a keen to see the evidence, but I’m absolutely gagging to hear how you get on before I consider trying this myself, however, performance statistics aside, I do worry that I will have to spend more time waxing my skis than enjoying the après ski in the bar Embarassed Moreover I’m not at all concerned by gary, problem
Quote:
I used candles last season, but found that I had to ski really slowly as otherwise they just kept blowing out!
I’m far more concerned that I would catch fire by skiing too slowly Crying or Very sad

I'm hopeful now that you can complete this ground breaking research to widen the collective knowledge base for the SnowHeads brotherhood worldwide. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank goodness for Christmas, I have been able to restock my Christmas candle ski wax, I was down to my last green candle.

In my experience, the bar is where skiers improve most. Having seen some skiing on the mountain I am amazed when meeting them in the bar how much better they become as the night continues Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has anyone tried using soap- the small bars from hotels etc?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jivebaby wrote:
Has anyone tried using soap- the small bars from hotels etc?

No but I'm currently experimenting with tying mountain goats to the bottom of my skis instead of skins for the up. Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski wax is for suckers.

Wax scrubs off skis after a few hundred meters on snow.

The wax effect lasts just a few minutes at best.
snow report
meh, Try marmots - they have shorter legs and probably slide better Shocked
snow report
Sitter wrote:
Well duh, you make a white chocolate cake.... Personally I'd go for cheesecake instead tho. NehNeh

Would that be a baked cheesecake? Which flavour is most effective on skis? Laughing
latest report
Bake your own wax:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/235616-Ski-wax-%28homebrew%29
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/141192-How-do-you-make-your-own-snowboard-ski-wax
latest report
You boys (and girls?) make me laugh - thank you for making us all smile !
snow conditions
WRECKER, Velcome to ze Snowheads Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy