Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fear of steeps

Poster: A snowHead
Piccadilly,

One of the best tips I was given by an instructor buddy when I found myself locked in a traverse & hill hugging was- to make sure I made a conscious effort to flex down at the end of my first - and all following turns, I was told I was standing very tall with my legs mostly rigid at the end of each turn so I had no way to extend up/across into the new turn, making things very difficult for myself, luckily he was there talking me through each turn with the idea of flex-plant and extend off my uphill ski, big difference! Very Happy

You can practice simple things like these on shallow pitched slopes, really exaggerating flexion and extension, then take it gradually into short sections of steeper terrain.

Sounds like most of your fears are psychological but sometimes practicing the simple things can really help rebuild confidence.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is very interesting - I too have a fear of steeps related to my fear of heights!

Though apart from difficult blacks (or double diamonds in the USA), which i would not attempt anyway, the one thing I cannot ski is a green or blue with a sheer drop at the side - a few slopes in the Pyrenees have this.

But the advice above is excellent - when I've followed the rule of starting facing down the hill and turning every few yards, wonderful, when I haven't, I end up in the "wedge of death" Smile

And so nice to have other skis admitting to the same fear.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gatecrasher wrote:
Piccadilly,

One of the best tips I was given by an instructor buddy when I found myself locked in a traverse & hill hugging was- to make sure I made a conscious effort to flex down at the end of my first - and all following turns, I was told I was standing very tall with my legs mostly rigid at the end of each turn so I had no way to extend up/across into the new turn, making things very difficult for myself, luckily he was there talking me through each turn with the idea of flex-plant and extend off my uphill ski, big difference! Very Happy

You can practice simple things like these on shallow pitched slopes, really exaggerating flexion and extension, then take it gradually into short sections of steeper terrain.

Sounds like most of your fears are psychological but sometimes practicing the simple things can really help rebuild confidence.

Thanks for this, yes I suspect there's probably not enough movement in my turns on the steep stuff, as I know I tense up.

Really great to hear everyone's thoughts on this, there are more people on here than I thought who are nervous when it gets very steep..

Oh, I've never been taught self-arrest either, I'd never even heard of it until I joined snowHead and read about it with interest. In the past when I've fallen... I've just slid 'til I stopped! These days I fall very rarely because I stay in control, don't 'hoon' unless the piste is relatively empty, and avoid the very scary stuff hehe.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gatecrasher wrote:
Piccadilly, One of the best tips I was given by an instructor buddy when I found myself locked in a traverse & hill hugging was- to make sure I made a conscious effort to flex down at the end of my first - and all following turns...

I once had a transformational lesson on that very subject. On a gentle slope, the instructor made us repeatedly do turns with and without a conscious downward flex on completion. It's difficult to overstate the importance of the additional control over speed and posture that comes from completing your turns with a definite flex. Repeatedly doing complete and incomplete turns put the contrast into such sharp relief that I can still remember every detail of the lesson many years later.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thought of this thread when I saw a report on television about a new hanging bridge in Holzgau in the Lech valley. The link is to a German page but there are photos. The bridge, due to open around the end of this month, is about 200 metres long and 110 metres above the river bed. Anyone who crosses that, with a few kids bouncing around in the middle, needn't worry about steeps any more Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
espri, Shocked F*** that s***
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

On a gentle slope, the instructor made us repeatedly do turns with and without a conscious downward flex on completion. It's difficult to overstate the importance of the additional control over speed and posture that comes from completing your turns with a definite flex.

my French instructor did exactly the same - he didn't do video, but I suspect it would have shown up an enormous difference between the amount he was flexing and the tiny little genuflection I was doing. We always feel as though we're doing more than we really are, don't we, whatever the exercise?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

These days I fall very rarely because I stay in control

Piccadilly, I bet in the days when you did fall over a bit were those same old days you were free of fear, I'm positive you know that sometimes you just have to let go of a little control, sometimes fall to gain control and that when we are relaxed we generally ski better - going on this theory I should be amazing as I fall over a lot!! Embarassed but it's only because I'm pushing it at my current level and overall I feel I am improving along with all the thrills n spills, even by putting things in perspective can make a huge difference, like saying to yourself "Well you're only on this planet once" before a decent your not quite comfortable with or other situations that cause concern, I say this a lot also! Embarassed

Another example is worrying about the edges of pistes that appear to be shear drops, its not until you actually go to the edge do you realize that a lot of the time they are not quite as shear as you thought!

I'm going with the plan of- fall over a bit or... a lot, go to the edge and have a look! were only here once! I think Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

We always feel as though we're doing more than we really are, don't we, whatever the exercise?

pam w, Yep! we did the same drill once, really over exaggerate everything only to be told that- only at our most exaggerated did we look how we should be skiing "you still don't believe them until you've seen the vid though!" rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No better feeling than not stopping at some lip where loads of others have nervously gathered - you really need to know the run pretty well though for it to be safe
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My mum, who has skied since she was five and is now 68, sometimes now gets scared if it's steep and icy, but she's fine if someone goes in front and takes a good course.

Try to do 'traverse + turn' to avoid gathering speed. Turn where there's plenty of room, preferably not too close to the side of the piste in case you 'overshoot' and get stuck. And don't be afraid to revert to stem turns. If it's icy, don't try to 'hang on', just let yourself slide a little as you traverse and turn. Also, yes, do not to stop at the 'edge' - I hate it when everyone is straggled all over the piste before this kind of slope: it's much easier just to keep going.

If you have no one to follow, make yourself do shorter steep pitches as often as possible, then the longer ones won't seem so intimidating. Don't always take the easy route if there's a choice.

Also, practise side-slipping on shorter medium-steep slopes to build your confidence and give you more control - after all, it's the side-slip that will control your speed, and skiing is only really speed control!

Happy steeping!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having baulked this week on any icy and (for me) steep slope this thread has been very useful. Someone frozen in fear at the top. I stopped next to them and then I did two turns. Then stopped again. Stood there for 5 minutes getting up the courage to do the next turn and fell. Got back up and skied the rest with no problem - got to the bottom and wondered what all the fuss I made was about! My lesson learned - don't stop.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a lot of (good) advice on technique on steeps and how to approach them. I suspect that is not the problem though. Picadilly has been skiing 23 years and equal ability to her companions who have no qualms on steeps. I think this is what you might call mid-life "wobble". Pam W has touched on it. You have hit a stage of your life where you are much more risk averse and reinforced by a bad experience.

There is no way round this but to face your fears. On your first day of any ski trip ski as many blacks as within reach and get it over with. You don't have to of course. It is your holiday and many many people never ski a black and have a great time. But the more you avoid, the more it reinforces the avoidance and fear. Choice to make!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Love the fact I replied to this thread 2 years ago and yet on Friday sneaked an extra lesson to overcome being scared on a tough black on Thursday (husband fell in front of me and I then panicked a bit). My kids still sail down anything they are asked to (but eldest did admit to finding poor light hard today)... Lesson well worth it as ever!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for bumping a really useful thread. My idea of steep is more dark red than black, but I'm sure the same ideas apply.

I do often find myself stopping at the brink. Mainly because I don't want to start past a group making wide turns, only to be cut up a few turns down the line. I tend to feel rushed if I know there are lots of people waiting behind me, and then make mistakes.

I especially liked the tip about the traverse of death. Has been my strategy in the past, but I'm trying to move past it. Can't wait to try the idea of starting with skis straight down the hill.

Hope the OP has found a way past the problems.
snow report
How steep is STEEP? If you are intimidated lean further forward and it seems more flat. Scarey..but true.
ski holidays
Wow, this is an old thread!

Just FYI, I have totally got over this now. The problem was my old crap skis!

Since getting rid of them and buying my Idylls, I have a new-found confidence and steeps don't phase me at all now. I had a bit of a wobble at Christmas after they'd been tuned and they were really grabby, but I detuned the tips and it was back to normal in Saalbach. We didn't ski anything especially steep there because I'd fractured my shoulder, but my confidence was back, and the one black we did was fine.

I really enjoy steep slopes now, because I trust my skis to take me down them.

That's really all it was in the end.
snow conditions
Quote:

I really enjoy steep slopes now, because I trust my skis to take me down them.

Piccadilly, snowHead
snow report
Piccadilly, interestingly enough I have gotten over this now. I've skied a lot more in the last 3 seasons (1 and half weeks each season) and it seems time on skis was the remedy for me. Not bothered by steep bits at all now. I still prefer icy hardpack to soft, slushy snow but I enjoyed the fresh snow in Ski Amadé a couple of weeks back, a new experience for me. No real off-piste ambitions though, I have neither the skill, nor the equipment, nor the fitness, nor the insurance.

Glad to hear it's all working well for you too...
snow report
pam w, reading back, some nice advice from you in this thread, thank you!

queen bodecia, great news! Very Happy
snow report
No better feeling than not stopping at some lip where loads of others have nervously gathered - you really need to know the run pretty well though for it to be safe
[/quote]
Did this last season in Courchevel when I came to a lip - skied straight over as I had skied it many times before - Mr mogulski was standing on the edge looking down and I wondered why? As I went over the lip I discovered it was solid polished steep ice!! Nobody except me was going down. I did a big diagonal sideslip and stop at the bottom. Mr mogulski thought it was very funny - not my feelings.
Make sure you know what is over the lip before confidently lauching over!!!!
latest report
mogulski, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Great advice here, making oneself face more downhill is the kicker I find, then on real icy runs sometimes I count, "1,2,3 TURN!" lol snowHead
snow report
I skied my first steeps this season. I learn't its about staying forward and good body position. I also think steeps look a lot worst than they actually are from the top. It's like when you are on the edge of a high diving board and it looks horrible. But if you are on the ground looking up, you think that's not to bad!

I felt the same on steeps. They look scary at the top but when your actually on them skiing, they are not to bad!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy