Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easiski On2Off

Poster: A snowHead
Richard E, Ahh yet another snowhead on the trip then, this is almost turning into a mini unofficial snowHead bash! Pam has offered little ms spock and myself lifts from the airport so all sorted!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davkt, do you know how many of us are signed up to the on 2 off week?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

not arriving until Monday morning

we'll only be leaping off middle sized cliffs by then, Richard E. You'll soon catch up.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, so more off than on then! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard E, Well at least you, pam w, little miss spock and me so that means at least 2/3 of the class are snowHeads. Think there are 5 of us in the class as Charlotte squeezed me in a bit late as I didn't get confirmation of when I would be doing some work for the EU till Oct.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 26-12-12 14:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great - it should be a fun week, especially if it keeps snowing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard E, see you there! pam w, is being an absolute diamond and looking after the Grenoble pickup.
davkt, I'm starting to get excited (and a little bit worried about my fitness levels). Do we arrange to meet at Luton or wait to figure out who's who at Grenoble Smile (I really must get out of this habit of travelling to ski resorts with strange men... Embarassed)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

and a little bit worried about my fitness levels

Hmm. Me too. I might do a week's cross-country course the previous week, which would help.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
little ms spock, Think I'll be staying in a close to the Airport hotel Friday night so see you at the airport for a pre fight coffee maybe (hope I'm not too strange for you!)? Fitness, have been going to the gym for the last few months to get things going again after an enforced pretty lazy summer on the orders of the physo. Tore my calf skiing at Easter and it was late Sept before the physo gave me the OK to really start doing much to get leg strength back.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 28-12-12 19:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

and a little bit worried about my fitness levels

I didn't realise you needed to be fitter to ski off piste than on piste.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard E, I certainly think you need to be. Core strength is even more important, in my view, good quads too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles wrote:
, in my view, good quads too.

Presumably steering the skis in deeper snow will require stronger thighs and upper legs.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard E wrote:
achilles wrote:
, in my view, good quads too.

Presumably steering the skis in deeper snow will require stronger thighs and upper legs.

I'm sure we will find out but guess that depends on if your skis float or pretend to be submarines!

Ski wise what is everyone taking/renting? Chatting to Charlotte she suggested something around the 60% off/40% on so think I will stick the Armada TSTs in as my first choice and Storm Rages in case they prove too fat.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard E, Oh I can't wait for the bitching/moaning/crying to begin Twisted Evil

We're never really fit enough to ski on piste and OFF is going to ask you for much more general effort . . . don't worry, I'm being an ass Toofy Grin Just take every opportunity to rest between exertion and the moment you start falling repeatedly and you find muscles 'trembling' when you use them or try to get up . . . GET OFF the hill and if you can get a massage . . . seriously, a deep muscle massage will speed your recovery. As may an ice bath. Don't drink much and when you get up in the morning go for a walk and make sure you have full freedom of movement before you go back up the lift. We tend to overdo things on our fist day and that can severely impaire the rest of the week.

However, I know Charlotte and she's very observant and very skilled so she's not going to destroy you on day one . . . you'll have lots of fun and yes you'll have physical challenges and no more than you deserve Twisted Evil but don't drink to excess and make sure you warm up before playtime and you will be tired but not damaged . . . and the massage, is really worth it on the first two evenings. . . .

Enjoy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Masque, any suggestions for the best place for sports massages in L2A?
snow report
davkt, talk to Charlotte . . . or introduce yourself with a lascivious grope to Lizard, she'll give you a deep muscle pummeling you'll never forget Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Quote:

Ski wise what is everyone taking/renting?

I have a new pair of rather nasty shiny Dynastar Exclusive Eden skis, which I hope will do the job.

And yes, from my very limited experience, it's FAR more tiring skiing off piste than on, especially when you're not very good at it! And when you fall it takes a lot of energy to get yourself up again. But that's why we're doing the course, isn't it, to get a bit better at it. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
davkt wrote:
Ski wise what is everyone taking/renting? Chatting to Charlotte she suggested something around the 60% off/40% on so think I will stick the Armada TSTs in as my first choice and Storm Rages in case they prove too fat.

No idea, but I've just pinged an e-mail to Charlotte asking for advice on ski hire so thanks for the reminder!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I have a new pair of rather nasty shiny Dynastar Exclusive Eden skis, which I hope will do the job.

Think those are about the same width proportions as my storms with some added rocker. The storms were great fun in the on piste untracked powder I found after we'd had a dump last year so should be spot on. Dynastar say its a 60/40 so spot on and that is what Charlotte suggested when I asked
snow report
pam w, nasty? Or, perhaps, natty? Toofy Grin I quite like the red chequered graphics.
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
Don't drink much and ..... but don't drink to excess ....

I intend to stay fully hydrated ... rolling eyes

Masque, seriously, thanks for the advice, a massage sounds great.
ski holidays
davkt wrote:

davkt, as I'm driving I am taking skis rather than hiring.
ski holidays
Now booked into the Holiday Inn at the airport for the Friday night that is only a few min walk from the terminal so slightly less stupid o'clock get up time on the first day!
snow conditions
Richard E wrote:
davkt wrote:

davkt, as I'm driving I am taking skis rather than hiring.

What skis have you got?
snow conditions
davkt, Fischer Watea 98's.
latest report
Sounds like we are all going with rocker skis then (well mine are half rocker!)
snow conditions
davkt, now your getting technical rolling eyes
ski holidays
Just glad my TSTs won't feel out of place!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davkt, Although the Holiday Inn Express isn't that far away it's all uphill and is bl**dy hard work with skis, etc (I know I've done it). Leave enough time or catch the bus if running.
snow report
davkt, Like pam w, these are new skis so I can't say yet how things will go. I have only ventured off piste a few times and only with piste skis, pretty average results, so I'm hoping the on2off week and more suitable equipment, will open up new possibilities.
ski holidays
Claude B, Thanks for the heads up though can't be as hard as having E and C and all their kit in tow! Will see what it looks like on the Friday but doubt Luton has anything a Peak District dweller classes as hills Laughing Laughing
Richard E, My TSTs are new as well so will stick the also quiver killered trusty Storm Rages in as well as they are both pretty light sets of skis that share a set of bindings. Think your aims are the same as the rest of us!
snow report
davkt wrote:
doubt Luton has anything a Peak District dweller classes as hills Laughing Laughing

You might be surprised. Luton is on the edge of the Chilterns. Wainwright was quite fond of the nearby Barton hills.
snow report
I'm really looking foward to my easter ski holiday ;-P
snow report
little ms spock wrote:
davkt wrote:
doubt Luton has anything a Peak District dweller classes as hills Laughing Laughing

You might be surprised. Luton is on the edge of the Chilterns. Wainwright was quite fond of the nearby Barton hills.

OK, though must say for me going on my bike to the shops in the next town involves one of the Tour of Britain's regular King of Mountains hills on the way home (yes I could go round it but that would involve longer or higher climbs!
snow conditions
tostertalby wrote:
I'm really looking foward to my easter ski holiday ;-P

That is the Easiski Hottots week tostertalby is talking about.
snow conditions
davkt wrote:
little ms spock wrote:
davkt wrote:

OK, though must say for me going on my bike to the shops in the next town involves one of the Tour of Britain's regular King of Mountains hills on the way home (yes I could go round it but that would involve longer or higher climbs!

Hmm, I really do need to keep going to the gym if I'm going to keep up with you and pam w don't I? Hertforshire isn't entirely flat, but it does lack for proper hills (and a coastline).
latest report
Quote:

I really do need to keep going to the gym if I'm going to keep up with you and pam w don't I?

little ms spock, I don't think much gym work will be needed to keep up with me - I am an old aged pensioner, y'know. wink
snow report
pam w, several of the supposed OAPs on snowHeads can very easily surpass my efforts. Some of them may (quite possibly) have been skiing for longer than I've been on the planet so I guess that gives them a head start. I won't embarrass then by naming names, but anyone who has stayed fit enough to continue skiing past retirement earns my respect.
latest report
little ms spock, yes, well, don't assume that all SHs OAPs are super-gnarly! I am feeling very underexercised this week, as it's all about child minding, transfer driving and cooking. Right now am looking after 9 month old whilst her big sister has her second go at skiing. This was her first go - she's not 3 for a couple of months, so we are all very proud. She loved it - on the video this still is taken from you can hear her laughing. She's a lucky girl; I didn't start until I was 40 and my grandma didn't have an apartment in the Alps!

We had no intention of starting her skiing at 2, but she's been very insistent she wanted a go.
snow conditions
pam w, awww.... she's gorgeous. No doubt she'll be skiing rings round you all in no time at all! She's a very lucky girl indeed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy