Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots and ski question

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice on buying some gear. I've been looking around and and have my mind set on some full tilt Seth Morrison boots and kung fuja skis with Schizo bindings and wondered if anyone had any first hand experience/knowledge that might be helpfull, also I am wondering about the size of the skis. I've skied for a long time but never comitted to buying any gear and feel its about time. What would be the best length of ski to go for...I am 6 foot 2 inches and weigh about 14 stone (196 pounds). Any advice would be greatly appreciated as its alot of money to spend and want to get it right. Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why do you think those boots are going to be right for you?

If you want meaningful advice on skis etc you will need to tell us what kind of skiing you do, what kind if skiing you want to do, and what level you are at right now. That will also affect advice on the length of ski as well as what type of ski you want to look at.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boots you really need to try on before you buy ru, you might find they just dont work with your feet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been skiing for 32 years and did my BASi about 10 years ago and do a quite a bit of off piste skiing about 30% piste and 70% off piste. I would say I am quite a hugh level skier. I've tried the full tilt drop kicks which seemed really comfortable. Thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ru, you've probably got a lot more experience than most of the others trying to advise you. What's got you on to the boots and skis that you've mentioned above? There could be a huge difference between one boot and another, one of the boot guys will be able to tell you the differences between the drop kicks and the Seth Morrisons.

Why does someone that has been skiing 32 years and who has done their BASI need advice from us on what length ski to buy?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Who's Seth Morrison?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unless you're an old-school tiny turn sort of guy, you want the biggest ski of whatever range you're looking at.

Boots? Go ask a bootfitter, not an internet forum full of randoms.

Next time you do an instructors course, maybe pay some attention when they talk about equipment. Harsh maybe, but completely fair as you're supposed to be able to advise others on kit.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boots go to a good fitter, tell them how you ski and let them sort you out with the boots that fit you and your skiing best. AsMonium, says just because one boot from a particular make fits well it doesn't mean any others in their range will fit.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When this chap did his BASI course rocker skis hadn't been invented, so it seems a bit unfair to get at him for asking advice on what length of rocker skis to buy!

The skis mentioned have twin tips and rocker, which will make the skis ski shorter than their length.

What length of skis have you been hiring Ru? Did these have twin tips or rocker?

This article might be useful.....

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/journal///how-rocker-affects-ski-length
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fair comments, but firstly I did a BASI course 10 years ago and ski's have changed a lot since then. I have always hired kit and the ski's and boots hired tend to be quite basic. The reason I posted on a forum is because I didn't think it would be full of 'randoms' especially since I posted in the area of 'equipment reviews' for some reason I thought I might get some feedback on equipment. Thanks oceanic for the post I'll check it out now.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah, that Seth Morrison.........
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A BASI guy who hires boots Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you've always hired properly fitted boots will be a real treat! As I say go to a good fitter (like say CEM on here) with a wide range and no preconception as to what boot you want and let him or her do their job, listen to what they have to say and take their advice on the boot that best matches your skiing and the anatomy of your feet.
Oh and while you are there buy some custom footbeds as well!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ru, even with EU Standard feet I don't think you should set your mind on a pair of boots with someone else's name on them. Probably best to go see a bootfitter as they will, well, be able to fit you a boot that suits your foot and not someone else's image Toofy Grin wink

Seriously, if you're anywhere near Bicester, go see CEM at http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/ You sound like someone who's good enough to need to have your boots properly fitted.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am of similar height and weight (6ft5 ish and 15 stone), with regards to the ski and bindings, i have a pair of last seasons obsethed in a 189 which came with the schizo griffons. Being quite heavy i didnt like the idea of the heal piece sliding forward and back as i like to be properly locked in and also the DIN didnt really go high enough. But i though i would give them a go anyway. when i first went out on them they were ok but then a couple of times i checked the fitting and could see that the wire which allows the heal piece to move had obviously stretched and then the boot wasnt properly secure. this wasnt a confidence booster for when going fast or dropping off rocks etc as there was always the fear that i would pop out too easily, so i swiftly removed them, fitted my dukes to them instead and sold the schizos. now the setup works a treat.
with regards to the ski length, with rocker the ski will feel alot shorter than in actually is. the 189 obsethed skis more like a 175 on hard pack due to the massive rocker, if you say you ski off piste 70% of the time i would recommend getting the fujas in a 189 as well.
ski holidays
Thanks for the advice i'm going to check out cam now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy