Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Got Geneva Flights....now regret it. Help!

Poster: A snowHead
Have got Easyjet flights for March 11 to 14th for 3 nights away and 2-3 days skiing. My mate and I were intending on going to Megeve for that time for long mileage days and beers and apres etc. Have got completely spooked by various persons feedback on Megeve in that its not right for what we want. Just didnt do my research :roll:

Last year we went to Soll and loved it, previously done Morzine/PDS several times.

Suggestions? Somewhere lively with places to forget that we are old, married and with kids (just for a day or so!!); lots of intermediate skiing; transfer under 1.5 years, preferably quicker.

All suggestions gratefully accepted
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamonix.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, thats what I was thinking. Been there before, liked it but hoping someone will come up with somewhere I've never been before
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Leuzzi, Why do you think Megeve doesn't suit?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, it all sounds a bit "exclusive" to me. Jazz and piano bars aren't really where we are at
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, if you want to get noisily drunk in the company of lots of other Brits, or dance on the table in your ski boots to cheesy oompah music, then yes, Megeve isn't a good choice.

From what little I know of both resorts, you're more likely to find an odd few days accommodation in Chamonix.

If you want to go somewhere different and close to Geneva there's the whole of the Grand Massif. Plenty of good skiing, easy to reach from Geneva, though maybe apres a little "quiet" for you.

You could stay in Sallanches and ski several different areas.

for somewhere completely different, La Clusaz? Lively centre, in a French sort of way. Quite attractive.

Le Grand Bornand? Better for skiing than drinking, I guess.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, dont get me wrong. Thats not really my style. We just want a bit of a laugh and a few beers, bed at a reasonable hour and lots of skiing. Grand Massif has always interested me, but don;'t know where to start. Which place is a good blend of transfer speed and a bit of liveliness by night?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Which place is a good blend of transfer speed and a bit of liveliness by night?

I don't know (I do day trips to the GM) but there are plenty of SHs who know the area well - maybe change your thread title to attract the attention of the people who know the different GM areas. It's not just transfer speed though - for such a short trip being in the centre of the skiing is good, too.

I think you'd find Megeve fine, actually - the centre is quite sizeable, very attractive, and has plenty of bars and restaurants. Definitely a better place for a couple of hours in the evening than Flaine. But you might have to be a bit flexible given that you only want a few days accommodation - are you looking for a hotel? Some Megeve hotels are eye-wateringly expensive.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why France?

How about Verbier?

Or, on a more serious note, Les Carroz as a good base for the Grand Massif. It is about the closest timewise from GVA to the slopes ( except for the Jura ) and fits what your requirements seem to be - mileage and a few beers snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you've got your accommodation booked in megeve why not head a little further up the road and ski les contamines?

If you've not got you accommodation sorted yet then Grand Massif and head for samoens.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

If you've got your accommodation booked in megeve why not head a little further up the road and ski les contamines?

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep the GM could be a great shout - lots of good skiing to cover, well linked and will have a decent atmosphere. Transfer times = under 1 hour to Samoens or Les Carroz, 1hr 25 or so to Flaine.

Quote:

We just want a bit of a laugh and a few beers, bed at a reasonable hour and lots of skiing.

Samoens might be ideal then (not really happening, but the few bars there are usually fun enough). Les Carroz too, though more family orientated) than Samoens.

La Clusaz and Grand Bornand also work well for a few days. Under 1 hour. NIghtlife is again not pumping, but usually something happening.

Otherwise, have a look at ST Gervais instead of Megeve. A bit more down to earth, and access to all the same skiing. Also closer to contamines which has some great stuff. Under 1 hour to get to St Gervais. Decent hotels in centre there probably happy to do a few days midweek.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

have a look at ST Gervais instead of Megeve

good idea. Probably considerably cheaper, too, and exactly the same skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Morzine?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sparkzter, he's been there several times and wants to go somewhere new...
snow report
Not sure but if it is a bad season La Clusaz and Les Carroz and some of the other GM lower villages might be suffering but, you still have uplift but might not be able to ski back to village.
You will probably struggle for a few days accom in Flaine unless you can take a privately owned place. Skiing in Flaine is ideal for your needs.

Les Carroz has a few good bars but nothing wild, again might suit you.
If you look on Logis de France there are a couple of hotels bookable online that do a few days. Stay there and then you have the option of a short drive up to Flaine if the snow cover is not up to it.

I have stayed in Le Croix de Savoie which was fine but for location Les Airelles is excellent, slopeside and a much shorter walk (3 mins) right into the lovely centre.
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi, Megève does have regular bars and clubs. I'd have thought you could keep yourself entertained for three evenings.
ski holidays
Anyone doing sub 1 hr to GM, or PDS must have a better radar catcher than I do!
snow report
If you haven't been to Verbier before give it a go as it is a fantastic resort and easily accessible from GVA.
ski holidays
Face the same conundrum each year myself. Did Flaine this March. If the snow is good you've got the mileage although only a couple of good bars in town. If the snow is poor as it was this season, Les Carroz and Samoens are a no-go. I can vouch for La Clusaz for a weekend. Good skiing/mileage and variety and a fairly good choice of bars. Only 1 hour 10 mins from Geneva.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy