Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

winter tyres versus doughnuts

Poster: A snowHead
I am considering buying some winter tyres since I have seen a few posts on here that they might be a good idea - after all, winter is coming, and it might possibly snow in the Alps, I understand. Currently I use doughnuts on my car (the ones with the holes, not the jam ones...I'm not stupid!!!) and although they have been great (I use Sainsbury's although I have seen cheaper ones in Aldi) I am worried about whether they might infringe the new laws in Germany.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I believe that the Aldi doughnuts are actually made in Germany so they are perfectly legal; buy 4 , do not put only 2 doughnuts on.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cstreat, ...I've just seen a YouTube short from Sweden comparing a car with winter tyres and then one with doughnuts on the rear (front wheel drive car) and chocolate digestives on the front. It's a frightening sight.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
valais2, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aldi German doughnuts have jam in them and you have to fit your own rims after making the correct insertion in the middle and draining all the jam out! Doughnuts with jam are illegal.

And don't forget to inform your insurance company! And offer to pay a huge premium for changing the format! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

cheaper ones in Aldi

Everyone, for Christ's sake, this is about safety. So, has to be Krispy Kreme.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, Krispy Kreme...good point...any definitive tests on the relative traction of multi-coloured hundreds-and-thousands topping versus single hue?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Krispy Kreme are the devil. And don't you know that recent tests have shown jam gives added grip?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely it's gotta be chocolate doughnuts, I've heard they offer better traction?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hummmmmmmmm........custard doughnuts NehNeh Razz
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am gluten intolerant...what do I do in the winter or am I only left with public transport and expensive taxis to resorts?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Get a grip ! Its obvious that doughnuts with any "fancy" additions or toppings are as useless as snow socks.valais2, I think that you will find that choc digestives not only have a different rolling circumference from dougnuts, they are much thinner and hence cut through deeper snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tim Hortons are obligatory in Canada during the winter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cstreat, ...snow socks useless??? never.....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What about wagon wheels? Though there not as
Big as they used to be.
ski holidays
Conventional tyres will greatly improve your ability to perform doughnuts, I recommend the cheapest nastiest hardest plastic remoulds you can find.

also, I would like to present the strategy of a die hard doughnutter: snow socks for front end grip for initiation leaving the rears to slide freely:

ski holidays
Obviously in that photo^^ the doughnut is attempting to keep warm and get in the vehicle Madeye-Smiley
snow report
valais2, just in case anyone's missed it, the mystery ingredient in the photo (for genuine safety's sake) is.....

1 the snow socks are on the front tyres
2 this is a BMW, rear wheel drive - so official view is that the car will handle very weirdly (ie grip on steering, but not on drive, so the car is going to act very unpredictably
3 the roads have little snow on them so the socks should be limited to around 30kph or the socks are likely to shred
4 the recommendation from bmw is that the car should have chains all round, or snow tyres on all four wheels

I am afraid people living in the Alps, Finland etc have more accumulated knowledge , rather than the scant knowledge amongst the general population here, and indeed the UK suppliers of equipment.

With the serious stuff done...can we PLEASE get back to being silly....

OR....(the underlying reason I posted)...if anyone is interested in winter tyres please do a site search rather than start YET ANOTHER WINTER TYRE THREAD - all the really important stuff has been said already - suppliers, all 4 wheels, the performance of different makes, the law in different countries. And all good stuff....

Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
Interlude. Some fine examples of having the wrong doughnuts here (especially like the guys getting out of their cars!)

http://youtube.com/v/vrXCBKvJ4jE&feature=related
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, ....bearing in mind this is the land of MIT and Steve Jobs, the US persists in being the land of contrasts. Darwin awards due here for those bailing out of a safe, airbag infested environment and...good grief...risking being crushed by passing vehicles and then between the cars...
snow report
valais2 wrote:
valais2, just in case anyone's missed it, the mystery ingredient in the photo (for genuine safety's sake) is.....

1 the snow socks are on the front tyres
2 this is a BMW, rear wheel drive - so official view is that the car will handle very weirdly (ie grip on steering, but not on drive, so the car is going to act very unpredictably
3 the roads have little snow on them so the socks should be limited to around 30kph or the socks are likely to shred
4 the recommendation from bmw is that the car should have chains all round, or snow tyres on all four wheels

I am afraid people living in the Alps, Finland etc have more accumulated knowledge , rather than the scant knowledge amongst the general population here, and indeed the UK suppliers of equipment.

With the serious stuff done...can we PLEASE get back to being silly....

OR....(the underlying reason I posted)...if anyone is interested in winter tyres please do a site search rather than start YET ANOTHER WINTER TYRE THREAD - all the really important stuff has been said already - suppliers, all 4 wheels, the performance of different makes, the law in different countries. And all good stuff....

Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!

Though out of interest does anyone have experience of those snowsocks? Just wondering as Saab (so being Swedish I'd think they know a bit about driving in winter conditions) have just emailed me suggesting some might be a good idea for my 93 estate.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, Wasnt that from Denver the other year ? Sheet ice covered in snow rather than them all having the wrong tyres on wink Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Bode Swiller, Loved how people were bailing out! If my choice is a 10mph bump or bailing out onto an icy road and oncoming traffic... I'm going with the former!
latest report
davkt, ....I looked at them and there's plenty of positive comments...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=45&t=793651&mid=0&nmt=Snow

however there is a down side, I have heard stories of them shredding on tarmac - in the same way that chains fail if driven on tarmac for any distance or at speed. Also, they do not meet the requirement for chains where they are legally required - eg up to Trois Vallee resorts etc.

considering your insurance excess may be 400 or so, it's simply far cheaper and safer to run winter tyres, and have far better performance in rain, sleet, all through the winter - on earlier posts there are excellent data on how much better winter tyres are at everything in the winter - braking in the damp, cornering, ice, snow etc etc and the most sensible thing seems to be avoiding an accindent in the first place. We put ours on in November and keep them on until March. Were fantastic in the pre-christmas snow last year.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy