Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort for an all-mountain ski-instructor in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok so here is the deal:
I’m 19 years old, just graduated and 2 months into my gap-year at the moment.
I love skiing and you can take my word when I say I’m pretty good at it, even though I’m from the Netherlands.
In this gap year my plan is to become a skiing instructor so that I can ski for a long time, instead of just 2 weeks a year, which I usually do..
The instructor course is already set out, if all goes well I will have my “Anwärter” on the 24th of December.
This allows me to teach in Austria.

So where in Austria should I apply for a job?
I would like a big resort, high altitude as I would like to have a good change of good snow conditions for my time being. And especially being able to free-ride off-piste without having to worrying about rocks, cliffs and holes and such that much.
Other than that cheap lodging and being and nice night-life are optional.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Diethert, As a foreigner, i.e. not Austrian, you will find in Salzburgerland, you have to be sponsored by a ski school to get on the course any way. I'm not sure what the regulations are for Tirol and Vorarlberg, but I suspect it will be similar.

If you are already on a course perhaps the providers can help you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samerberg Sue wrote:
As a foreigner, i.e. not Austrian, you will find in Salzburgerland....
This is the EU I can't really see how that can get away with crap like that. The locals may like to think they can apply auslander rules to fellow EU members but i'm sure they can't. I've heard similar stuff in reference to buying property but it has no legal standing.

Once you have the Anwärter and I assume you speak good english or german then you should easily get work, particularly, during holidays. I wouldn't get too worried about high altitude, most Austrian resorts, even low ones, will have good snow most the season. The higher you go the more rocks and cliffs and wind and bad vis days. The best snowfall is normally around the far west of austria, voralrberg, arlberg.I'm based within the ski amade area, sure you'd pick up work and once in a ski school you'd soon learn of the off piste areas.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
waynos, It is on the course details! I presume because the courses are subsidised by the Province and they have enough local applicants. Ask flangesax, he was sponsored by the Radstadt Ski School who will monitor his Anwaerter time and then sponsor him for the next stage.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So would it be safe to just apply for jobs in west austria and then assume that pretty much every resort has nice off-piste area's?

i don't worry about the course either, I got that set up and I speak dutch, english and german fluently so that's ok.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Diethert, As an Anwaerter you are only a trainee instructor, not a full one. A bit like an apprentice who has taken the first set of exams.

Who are you training with because they should be able to provide the answers you are looking for. There is a group who train Dutch skiers to Anwarter level and you then work with their groups. A snowHead called Ronald I believe trained with them, maybe you can PM him and ask how it worked.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pretty easy to find work with the anwaerter in my experience. If you don't go to St Anton you're an idiot! Epic offpiste, epic party. Btw, in Austria the ski school will usually sort cheap accommodation for you.

Edit 'cos HTC spellcheck is balls.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 14-10-11 14:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Like clarky999 says, St Anton has to be top of your list given your requirements. The ski school there is big, they get a lot of English (and probably a few Dutch) speaking guests, so I would think they would be keen to employ someone with good language skills.

The aprés ski is big too... just remember to take your jacket off if you go out right after skiing (I think they still have that rule??).

Of course the downside is that it is so well known, so there'll be a lot of other people looking for work... it might be worth applying now.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The aprés ski is big too... just remember to take your jacket off if you go out right after skiing (I think they still have that rule??).

It's fine 'til 8pm if I remember correctly (lots of people would just turn it inside out after though...).

There were lots of Dutchies and Skandies working, a fair few Brits, and a couple of Austrians. I mainly had Dutch German and English guests, so with your languages I'm sure they'd be very interested in you. Massive ski school (bit of a factory) means things aren't so personal, but at least there are plenty of jobs available.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

It's fine 'til 8pm if I remember correctly (lots of people would just turn it inside out after though...).

There were lots of Dutchies and Skandies working, a fair few Brits, and a couple of Austrians. I mainly had Dutch German and English guests, so with your languages I'm sure they'd be very interested in you. Massive ski school (bit of a factory) means things aren't so personal, but at least there are plenty of jobs available.

Yep, the sight of inside-out ski instructor jackets, and the wearer being slightly "tired and emotional" is not uncommon:-)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Diethert, This is taken from the SBSSV web site and is a pre-condition that all those attending a Level 1 (Anwärter) training course have to fulfil:

Quote:
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR NON-AUSTRIANS:

1. A written work consent of a Salzburg Skischool for the next winter season has to be added to your registration. Without written confirmation no course admission is possible!

2. Sufficient knowledge of German is a given!

The page I took it from is here: http://www.sbssv.at/en/instruction/instructor-level-1/

It means that you are unlikely to be taken on in the Salzburgerland area, but you never know. I know of at least one ski school in that area that does take on a lot of Dutch instructors, but how qualified or not they are I have no idea. Some of the instructors did not ski very well from having observed them on more than one occasion.

As far as I can find out from the Snowsports Tirol web site ( http://www.snowsporttirol.at/index.php?id=home), there is no tie in to a particular school but the courses are more expensive and do not include ski pass or accommodation. You do need to be fluent in German though as there is no English version of the web site. That tends to indicate that they do not do the courses in English or any other language.

For the Steiermark the rules are that you have to complete your training, so Anwärter to Landesskilehrer, in the same Province you started in. The courses, web site and all the information is in German. but there appear to be no other conditions tying you in to any ski schools. The courses do not include accommodation or ski pass and a quick look showed that you are looking at about 1000 Euro minimum costs. http://www.skilehrerverband-stmk.at/

Vorarlberg has similar conditions to Tirol and Steiermark and the costs are around 1800 to 2000 Euro and the courses appear to be delivered only in German. There are translations available for the general punters (i.e visitors looking for a ski school or info over the levels and progression) but nothing on the professional pages.

The costs I have seen for courses in Tirol, Steiermark and Vorarlberg do seem to support my belief that Salzburgerland subsidises their courses, and therefore is able to attach the condition for non-Austrian participants.

You really do need to ask your course provider what contacts they have with ski schools and do they have any arrangements with particular schools. I suspect that the ski schools in the other areas will take people they know or with experience and qualifications in their own systems before they take on outsiders.

I think you may have been misled by the advertising for your course. It is a very competitive market and many more people from all over the world try to get positions in the popular areas than there are actual jobs available. You may be lucky in the 2 or 3 peak weeks of the season (Christmas/New Year and Fasching) but for a whole season you do need to have some kind of contact with a school to get into the system.

Good luck with your course. As I said earlier, I believe Ronald, a snowHead living in Amsterdam, did a course provided by a group out of Wien, so he may be able to give you some very useful advice. Try and send a Private Message to him and see how he qualified and where he works.

Sue snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry for the late reply, I've been very busy lately.

I did read all your guys posts though and they were very usefull, thanks for that!

I have applied at a couple of places and I pretty much immediately got a reply from a ski school in Ischgl which seems to be a great resort too. Almost similair to St. Anton. As I haven't heard anything of St. Anton for a week I accepted the job over there.

I will be workin gin Ischgl from 18 december ti'll 12 january.
Then I will have a monnth break after wich I will continue from 13th of february ti'll 29th of february.

During this month break I am planning on staying in Ischl, the ski school offered me a room over there for just 15 dollars a day including a ski-pass if I decided to stay during that month of not working.

In this time I will probably go a lot on solo ski-ing.
I want to work on my off-piste technique and I was wondering if ischl offers good offpiste? Is it safe to ski there solo, do you think there will be enough snow (at high altitude), I'm aiming at snow about 60cm at least.

So, how is the off-piste in general in Ischgl?

If it's not that good I might move somewhere else in the alps for 1 or 2 weeks, can you recommend a good resort for off-piste in that case?

Thanks in advanced
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Diethert, well done... it sounds pretty sorted!
In Salzburgerland you can not enter the Snwaerter course without a letter from a supporting ski school unless you are an Austrian resident. I am an Austrian resident but couldn't be bothered to argue the toss as I am English so got a letter of support from Radstadt.
This qualification makes you 'legal' and trained to teach up to carving grundstuffe.

I did my course last spring and there were quite a few dutch guys on it.

Warning - some of them did it through an 'agency' in Holland,.
Although they were signed up for the course the company had not paid the balances or forwarded any money for the accommodation... resulting in a lot of pissed off Dutch with no qualification at th eend of 10 days. I hope they sorted it out!

It is much better to try to book it all directly with the ski federations (for Salzburgerland have a look at Sue's links above).... it was also halfo of the price that the Dutch guys paid!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice one!

Ischgl is ace, lots of very good offpiste (seriously, loads), lots of snow, and the partying is damn good too (late night probably better than in Anton tbh).

I met an instructor who's worked there, and apparently the tips are very good (it's a pretty expensive place, and you'll likely get lots of Russian clients).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy