Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria 14th Jan Snowsure?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to book up soon for a group of 8-9 pretty compitent skiers and boarders. Would like to try Ausrtia as never been but worried about not having any snow. A friend recomended Mayerhofen and I'm keen but still concerned about being welcomed by a grassy hill.
Am I right to be worried?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No.

Nowadays, with artificial snow, there should be plenty skiing even in a bad year (and from Mayrhofen there is the Hintertux glacier as backup anyhow).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Am I right to be worried?

solstice21, no, no more right to be worried than booking anywhere, anytime. There's really no such thing as "snowsure", off a glacier, and average snowfall figures tell you nothing about a single week, sometime in the future. And artificial snow cannons don't help at all when it's warm. Ski resorts - whether in Austria or anywhyere else - which regularly suffered from poor snow wouldn't survive, let alone thrive as Mayrhofen has. You take your chance anywhere. If you want to reduce the risk, postpone booking till much nearer the time, when there's a chance to see how the season is working out.

It's comforting to have a glacier around, but when surrounding resorts have little or no decent snow, glaciers might get so mobbed that it could be better to sit in the sun with a good book. wink

If your group are competent and experienced they'll be able to make the best even of less than perfect snow (which is what most resorts have, most of the time, after all!).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Yes, We did Chamonix this year around the same time of year, had blue skies all week but still had a great time. I admit some runs were closing by the end of the week but there was enough to keep the Cham virgins like myself happy.

Done France last 3 years and, even though I'd go back, I'd like to try somewhere new. Autria looks pretty, is apparently cheaper than France and looking in books/ net. Mayer lift pass opens 600+ km of terrain. I'm talking myself more and more into it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pretty risky, France gets much more snow.

Oh wait, that's not quite right...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
solstice21, Almost certainly grass, right up to about 30,000m at that time of year Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
robboj, damn global warming Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
solstice21, If there's no snow in Mayrhofen in the middle of January there won't be much anywhere else. Austria is the most successful skiing nation in terms of Alpine World Cup and Olympic competitions, they haven't achieved it by training in Tamworth Snowdome. I've been to Mayrhofen in the middle of April and it's been fine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
solstice21, I have consulted the local marmottes and can confirm that there will be no snow whatsoever in Austria this season, especially mid January. I have never known them to get it wrong. Maybe try Morzine, that's always deluged.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
solstice21, choose somewhere .... it'll be fine! snowHead

Kersh
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Okay, okay! Have your fun! Very Happy It's only a bit of fear of the new....You all get it! So far have got 2 star b+b, fta, lift pass for £570pp. Any advances?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
solstice21, What's "fta"?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flights transfers aaccom
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
solstice21, seems pricey! Try the Ski Amade or even Schladming, great ski area and even cheaper. Return transfers about €41 per head from Salzburg. We are looking at £570pp for half board in a hotel, flights and transfers and that is going out xmas eve and returning new years eve. Mid jan has to be at least 25% less.

EDIT: Will there be any snow?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
solstice21, as Frosty says, you should be able to come in under that at a good 3 or 4 * place in the Ski Amade area in mid-January.

I've just been sent the brochures from 2 of my regular places in St Johann/Alpendorf and we are looking at all-inclusive price (i.e. Full Board and ski pass included) for 4* Superior of something like 800 Euro for that period.

Take a look at the offers for Pauschal - it means packages in German.

Frosty the Snowman, looking forward to meeting up in Wagrain - I've got that week off work and will be commuting over to Wagrain snowHead
snow report
My price includes lift pass and ski carriage all.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
solstice21, as Frosty says, you should be able to come in under that at a good 3 or 4 * place in the Ski Amade area in mid-January.

I've just been sent the brochures from 2 of my regular places in St Johann/Alpendorf and we are looking at all-inclusive price (i.e. Full Board and ski pass included) for 4* Superior of something like 800 Euro for that period.

Take a look at the offers for Pauschal - it means packages in German.

Frosty the Snowman, looking forward to meeting up in Wagrain - I've got that week off work and will be commuting over to Wagrain snowHead

Sue, any chance of telling us the hotel name where you have seen that package price?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
solstice21, seems pricey! Try the Ski Amade or even Schladming, great ski area and even cheaper. Return transfers about €41 per head from Salzburg. We are looking at £570pp for half board in a hotel, flights and transfers and that is going out xmas eve and returning new years eve. Mid jan has to be at least 25% less.

EDIT: Will there be any snow?

Frosty, does your price of £570 include the lift ticket price? The price Solstice quotes does include the lift price. The ski amade lift price in mid January for an Adult is 203 Euros.

The cheapest I have priced up for Wagrain in a 3 star hotel Half board + lift pass + flight + transfer is: hotel/pass = £498, flight = £120, transfer £45. Total of £663
latest report
I'm hoping to go to that area (sticking with whatever Samerberg Sue recommends) for my short break in January. There doesn't seem to be much TO activity outside of Schladming and Bad Gastein, but Schladming looks to be very good value. DIY-wise you can search and book hotels on the Ski Amade website and some look to be really good value.

I'm not worried about snow, the Austrians are brilliant at snowmaking and piste preparation. Even in Kitzbuhel last March when it was extremely warm and much of the Alps were suffering, I still had a brilliant time, skied a full week and they kept well over 75% of the area open. Varying conditions make you a better skier (so I'm told!).
ski holidays
jimmybog, Try a search on the Ski Amade site and see what comes up Laughing Laughing

I spend at least a week a season indulging myself at such a venue. 1200 sq.metres of "wellness" keeps even those who can't ski happy (I know because it happened to me one horrible season I would prefer to wipe from my memory!) wink
ski holidays
There is never, ever any snow in January.... prices are always sky-high in all accommodation... and you can never find a decent cut of pork to eat either....
(i'm getting pretty good at this 'marketing' thing now!)
snow conditions
flangesax, I heard there's a prohibition on beer and Jaeger too.
latest report
solstice21, are you looking for a complete package from the UK or are you going to DIY it? If the latter you need to be more flexible in your choices and dates.

Joking aside, this area has a fantastic record for snow and if by any bizarre chance there isn't any snow in mid January, you will find booger all anywhere outside of Arctic/Antarctic regions and possibly Siberia.

I believe some British TOs offer all-in packages to the Hochkönig (Mühlbach, Dienten and Maria Alm) And if you are looking for B&B then, if he has room, why look any further than our own flangesax who has a brilliant place in Radstadt. I've stayed there many times myself. And will do so again this season.
latest report
+1 Toofy Grin
latest report
Laughing All roads lead to Ski Amade. It really is the new La Rosiere and Resort X all rolled into one big fluffy bundle of nirvana.

Q. Where can you recommend in Canada?
A. You'll die from cold. Have you thought about Ski Amade?

Q. I'm desperate to go to St Anton and only St Anton. Which hotel?
A. You'll hate St Anton, it's full anyway. Have you considered Ski Amade? Same initials!

etc ad naseum.
snow report
flangesax, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I'm really interested in going to Hochkonig or anywhere in Ski Amade but I'm struggling to find flights from the Midlands! It looks like a brilliant ski area and I'd rather give my money to independents rather than Crystal but I fear my hard earned cash will end up their pockets Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snofairy, Lufthansa fly from Birmingham to Munich. When I looked just now, a random Sat.-Sat. return flight in January is £119.
I believe the train journey from Munich to the Ski Amade region isn't too painful... I've never done it, but I'm sure someone based in the Ski Amade area will be along shortly who can tell you about train times and where you need to change.
snow conditions
snofairy, I have also booked Lufthansa Birmingham to Munich. Thomson fly EMA to Salzburg but it's weekends only and might not be available without a TUI package. Jet2 fly from Leeds and Manchester to Salzburg (OK not Midlands, but easy to get to), but again, that's weekends only. I think BMI Baby also fly from EMA to Munich.
snow conditions
The bullet has been bitten. Mayerhofen it is! Cheers for all you tips (and p:ss taking). If the snow's poor I'll blame you lot!!!
snow conditions
solstice21, Laughing Laughing Laughing All in good part. I'm sure the snow will be fine, Enjoy its a great place.
snow report
Corky, Cheers....I got messed about with numbers for a while and finally booked up last week. By time we booked it was buy a lift pass - get 1 half price so it worked out even cheaper which was a stroke.
Anywho....14th Jan my Austrian cherry will be popped! Can't wait. Tips on best slopes and bars still more than welcome!!!!
snow conditions
snofairy, Is Bristol Airport too far for you? Easyjet fly to Salzburg from there. It's worth looking at Skyscanner for ideas too.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, not quite... but most in Europe, Asia and Russia do!
latest report
Hotel Peruaer for dinner one night, ribs and pizza at Scotland Yard another. Ribs are way better than at Mo's.
snow report
flangesax wrote:
Do what?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
flangesax wrote:
Do what?

Quote:

All roads lead to Ski Amade.

Oh... and Africa
ski holidays
flangesax, good, I'll be recommending Africa from now on then.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy