Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A blind man learns to ski in Norfolk

Poster: A snowHead
Norwich Evening News today reports the experience of local blind man Mervyn Ivany in learning to ski on Norfolk Ski Club's artificial slope at Trowse.

It's an inspirational article, highlighting the commitment and enthusiasm of all involved. Read it here.

Although the blind are denied all that amazing scenery, I guess the challenge, exercise and physical feedback of skiing have a lot to offer. Not to mention the blast of Alpine air and banter of the day, back at the chalet.

Have any snowHeads been involved in teaching the blind to ski?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, never been involved personally, but I was utterly amazed to see blind people skiing down normal red runs in St.Moritz a few years ago. They had someone sking behind them who evidently had some kind of radio connection, and who was telling them where to ski, warning of obstacles etc. They were really doing OK, even on fairly crowded pistes. Unbelievable.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David, a couple of weeks ago one of the members of the Lions Ski Club at Castleford Xscape was leading a partially sighted men, which was pretty inspiring. This week the same member was helping a chap with one leg and outriggers, who made a pretty good attempt at the slalom gates too. Very impressive.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I remember going to Zermatt a few years ago and on the piste map (or some other touristy brochure) was a warning about blind skiers being about and to be aware of them - I think it showed them wearing some kind of chevron bib so that they stood out on the slopes ... my memory is failing me!

I certainly remember thinking how amazing their reactions and feel must be. My skiing relies so heavily on sight hence going to pot in poor light ... these guys do it without sight all the time.

... did see a guy without legs on a monoski with outriggers on each arm though ... doing better than I was Embarassed

One of the skiing maagazines ran an article on volunteers going off to help disabled people ski last season - cannot remember which one though?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If anyone is interested more info can be found here:
http://www.uphillskiclub.co.uk/index.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Disabled skiers of all sorts are a common sight in N.America, and of course many are very competent. The relative lack of drags makes life easier, I imagine, and the lifties are adept at getting them (in their kit) on and off chairs. I can only doff my helmet to them, and to the people who teach them. I saw some disabled skiers being taught pretty much from scratch, I think, in Breckenridge this year; two instructors per learner. Their progress seemed very quick, but I don't know what experience of 'able bodied' skiing they'd had, if any.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I was skiing in FRance I saw a guy with 1 leg and outriggers ripping it up. No problems, he was a better skier than me!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The DZ at which I learnt to sky-dive has a blind jumper. He would go out with one or two instructor-level jumpers - but his party trick was to deploy his mate's 'chute before his own! Shocked Psycho! (Don't know if he's still alive.)

Those outrigger skiers are generally amazing. I assume in general they are skiing adicts who lost a leg or two in some extreme descent that went a bit wrong.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was approached last year by a blind lady skier in Park City.
She asked if I knew the way down but I had to tell her that as it was my first day there, and given that we were at that point in the clouds I had no idea and couldn't see the way either.
It was almost a case of the blind leading the blind!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blind and partially sighted skiers are a very common sight here - as are paraplegics and even quadraplegics. One legged skiers hardly rate a mention! I have taught a blind group (at Aldershot) and it was very interesting - you have to be very precise in your instructions "turn your right heel two steps to the right" sort of thing. Otherwise no probs except for newly blind people, who tend to have no balance. However, I never fancied taking the Adaptive Module as an extra qualification.

I have a friend who skied in the GS in the blind olympics and finished 5th. He was furious with his brother (who was his guide) for not ski-ing fast enough - he felt they could have got a medal - I don't think GB has ever got a medal for blind ski-ing (but I could easily be wrong).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I skiied with a blind guy on the Scope White Peaks event in Austria a couple of years ago. He was guided by two poles and a sighted skier in front. I have to say I admired his courage immensely, the thought of not seeing what was coming up would scare me lifeless. He made it through the 24 peaks and finished with a huge smile.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It strikes me that there could be a few runs where not being able to see might actually be an advantage wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have seen this a few times in the alpes and I am always amazed and in awe.
Someone skis behind barking out directions and the blind skier responds accordingly,
when everyone realises what is going on they all seem to stop and look on in amazement..!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, In competitions they're not allowing to speak. The guide skis in front with a beeper, and the blind skier follows the noise! Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, I watched a member of the US Disabled Ski Team training at Arapahoe Basin some years ago. A downhill racer, the coach was behind, shouting instructions. A very fast skier, training on reddish/black level incline, I had assumed that he was partially sighted until I watched the coach helping him to use the telephone in the base area cafe.
snow report
For snowheads who are SCGB members, there's an archived thread here - started by a guy who was a guide to a blind skier for a season. He describes what goes on, the commitment required, the frustrations and the rewards. For those who are interested in following this up, the British Ski Club for the Disabled web site should be here, but seems to be down. you might like to try them at:

British Ski Club for the Disabled:
Springmount
Berwick St John
Shaftesbury
Dorset
SP7 0HQ

Tel: 01747 828 515
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy