Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF Beginner Package in Arcs 1800

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm organising a ski trip for 8 to Les Arcs (1800) in January (2012) and have a question for people who know Arc 1800 - or ESF in general. I quoted people prices based on their beginner package (http://www.esf-arc-1800.com/ski-school-arcs-1800/adultes/cours-collectifs-adultes.jsp?language=en_US), "6 days ski lessons + skipass formula". I re-read it and realised that it seems to imply only absolute beginners should use this deal. There are 3 non-beginners who want lessons:
> 1 who is OK on blues
> 2 who are OK on blues, and can survive reds

Using the vast SnowHead collective mind... do you think it will matter if these "improvers" book under the beginner package, or do you think that once they're in the resort, ESF won't care, and will just grade them on day 1 like everyone else? Otherwise they each need to cough up £100 Confused

Thanks!

(This thread may be better off in a Paradiski area... Been lurking on SH for a long time but only just registered, so I've not explored completely...)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know for certain but my guess is the "skipass formula" means no lift pass for probably the first couple of days as there are one or two free lifts in Arc 1800 which are suitable for complete beginners. Your 'non-beginners' who can do blues and maybe reds are going to need a liftpass from day 1, and I very much doubt that ESF will give them a free upgrade. In fact, your non-beginner friends might not thank you for landing them in a class of never-evers who spend the first day walking up and down a bunny slope until they can slide in a straight line and do a snowplough glide to stop.

PS: Welcome to snowHeads!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! I figured after realising that almost ever skiing-related thing I google returns relevant info from this site, it would make sense to register Smile
Good point on the lift pass, I'd not considered that! They certainly would be, er, annoyed if they spent 2 days on the magic carpet. ESF's site says :
"For those of whom are discovering winter sports, we have created a " ski lessons + skipass" formula which enables you to benefit from the joys of skiing with a maximum of security. Group lessons x 6 days + "Les Arcs / Peisey Vallandry" ski-pass for 6 days "
...But if I were ESF then I might cut a day or two of lift pass to save some cash. I've emailed the school directly to ask, so I'll see what they say.

That said if anyone else has tried this kind of shenanigans then let me know!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dmarts, it might be that you get a full six day pass (not least because the main nursery slope at Vallandry is at the top of the Vallandry chairlift). But before you condemn your non-beginner friends to a day on the magic carpet it would be good to find out, so emailing the ESF is a smart move.

Hope you have a great trip Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In case anyone stumbles across this thread, ESF Arc 1800 did indeed say that this is strictly complete beginners only, and implied that the discount is because the lift pass is restricted (or ESF have negotiated a discount based on the fact that beginners won't use the lifts much?). Either way not suitable for someone with any experience unless they want to risk being nurseryslope'd for a couple of days.

Quote:
For people not completely beginners, it is not suitable as they are going to start at the bottom of the slopes.

Thanks rob@rar.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am looking at going on this in Les Arc 2000, i emailed and spoke to ESF. They confirmed the pass is for 6 full days and not restricted. Hope this is true. dmarts, did you ever book onto it? Any feedback please

Thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't imagine that using this deal would be any use to non-beginners. Even if the pass IS a full one, they would not, I imagine, be allowed to join higher level lessons and it would be cheaper just to buy the pass. When I looked into these deals, which sometimes include equipment hire too, in the past, the brochures have always emphasized, as above, that they are only suitable for complete beginners.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dais, in the end I booked the total beginners to this package, and the improvers bought full passes, so we didn't take the risk. It might have worked, but don't know.

Interesting that ESF in 2000 said it's a full pass though, maybe you could go for it if your negotiating skills are up to scratch!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well i have email confirmation as below

Good morning,

Yes you can use the ski pass during 6 all days. it 'll getting activated as soon as you take your first ski lift.
Be careful it's a "les Arcs,Peisey,Vallandry" ski pass.

If you have more questions, please dont hesitate to contact us,

Best regards,

Emilie
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So u did book this package? What was it like?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did book it for 2 of my friends, it was in Arc 1800. I think they said it was good, and they went from total beginners to skiing reds by the end of the week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Basically i have learnt to ski in a snowdome and thats it. Still nervous coming down slope, so would like lessons on hols
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dals, if you can do controlled snowplough turns in the snowdome then you won't want to be in beginner lessons, but in the next class up. Of course you're still nervous - that's normal - and "real" mountains are different and can be scarier. But if you have done the very basics it would just be frustrating to have to go at the pace of people who have never had ski boots on before.

You need to check with the ski school whether you can use this package in the next class up - but it sounds as if the answer is "no".
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy