Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

rocker

Poster: A snowHead
I've had ski problems but tip dive has never been one of them.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone have thoughts on moguls? While we're here ...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 14-10-11 17:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SkiRider, Moguls: it's not that you can't ski them, it's that you can't ski, etc.

I would expect that rocker per se would be an advantage, however, rocker only seems to feature on fatter skis which is a major disadvantage to skiing bumps "properly"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball wrote:

If you have ever had problems in difficult snow / crud then its because the tips are submerged.
Tip rocker keeps the front of the ski above the surface - making the skis easier to turn.

SkiRider wrote:
Anyone have thoughts on moguls?

Again it depends on the amount of rocker.
Rocker allows the skis to pivot easily - and can be surprisingly well suited to moguls.

Under a new name wrote:
however, rocker only seems to feature on fatter skis

Not in 2012 wink Rocker certainly makes big skis more nimble. Interestingly if you keep the ski tips above the surface then you don't need so much width under foot.

Rob@Rar wrote:
....I am still not convinced

Of what? That rocker can make an a genuine all mountain ski more fun, versatile, and easier to use.
Where most skiers struggle is in variable snow, not on perfectly prepared pistes Twisted Evil

For sure... Rocker is very much the latest marketing buzz word. However at the end of the day subtle tip-rocker is just moving the contact point of the ski a little further back and making the tips a smidge softer. That is not really such a big design change - and its very much a trend for 2012.

I am a fairly old school punter who prefers to carve instead of slarve NehNeh
But can see the benefits.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 13-10-11 9:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

SkiRider wrote:
Anyone have thoughts on moguls?

Haggis_Trap, agree it depends on the amount of rocker, big tail rocker can be fun as it may catch the back of the moguls, but moguls are more down to how you ski them, than the ski your on. Have a look at competitive mogul skis. Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
livetoski, what's wrong with comp mogul skis?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap wrote:
snowball wrote:

If you have ever had problems in difficult snow / crud then its because the tips are submerged.

Occasionally had a problem with true breakable crust - I mean where you are on top of the crust some of the time but breaking through on turns.
It seems to me you have to break through strongly and carve - it is no good keeping your tips on the surface.
I also prefer to carve through crud rather than be bouncing about on top. Heavy snow I rather enjoy . Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Traditional

Full Rocker

Tip Rocker
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hahahaha if you thought ski rocker was confusing just wait for this load of kaos to hit the ski tech world. http://www.bataleon.com/Page-SHAPES_34.aspx
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
meandrew, good call as dps are already showing hull variants are being explored at the moment. I think people will have to get used to the idea of looser skis and maybe there will eventually be an acceptance that alpencarven isn't the only way to ski.Quite exciting - look back 10 years and there were just the first shoots of 21st ski progression in teh Pocket Rocket, now heaps of ways it could go.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fat bob wrote:
... maybe there will eventually be an acceptance that alpencarven isn't the only way to ski.
I see very few people on the hill carving their turns, although everyone uses their edges in just about every turn they make. I don't think edges are going to go out of fashion any time soon, no matter which way the ski is bent.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap, can I ask where you got the images from? of the ski shapes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
livetoski, there used to be something similar on the moment skis website.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
looks liker rocker is making its way into race skis:

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, Bet that doesn't last long! Reduction of effective length?
latest report
livetoski, http://backcountrybeacon.com/2010/10/reverse-camber-rocker-and-ski-sizing/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 15-10-11 19:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
rob@rar, but you can just about forsee a world where edges engage differently depending on how much you angle the ski and where your presure is. I don't think its necessarily for the mass market yet and it won't make good skiers out of hacks
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
rob@rar, but you can just about forsee a world where edges engage differently depending on how much you angle the ski and where your presure is.
Yes, definitely, why not? Different skis for different contexts, and the more ski designers can play around with different notions to more innovative ideas will reach the consumer. But matter how funky the designs get I can't imagine skiing moving away from the basic principle that every turn we make is going to involve some blend of pressure, edge angle and rotation, regardless of what nomenclature is used to describe ways of making a turn.
snow report
rob@rar, I am with you on that.

Good skiers can ski on anything.

Poor skiers can't ski.

I'm looking forward ideas about how to make skis that make bumps easy. Don't see them any time soon...
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
rob@rar, I am with you on that.

Good skiers can ski on anything.

Poor skiers can't ski.

I'm looking forward ideas about how to make skis that make bumps easy. Don't see them any time soon...

You've already got them - 11m radius bump skis aren't really all round skis. Ok maybe not easy but easier to chuck around bumps in the hands of an expert user.

I wonder if there is a ski out there that recognises lots of people don't ski very well but are happy with what they do and therefore removes unhelpful performance elements to make them easier to tail skid around with control.
snow report
fatbob, Easier than what?

Big fat rockered behemoths?

oK fair enough... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
fat bob wrote:
... removes unhelpful performance elements to make them easier to tail skid around with control.
Doesn't the notion of a "performance element" change depending on the kind of skiing that you're doing? Fat, full rocker, reverse camber are all performance elements in certain circumstances, but are, IMO, performance killers in other circumstances.
snow report
rob@rar, I'm just flying a conceptual kite for the purposes of debate. IME e.g. a rockered tip enables a ski to pivot a lot more freely and I think that this is behind some of the "piste rocker" thinking i.e. don't make the tips too hooky. I can sort of see a long ski that is trad say in the middle 130cm or so but then rockered and/or chamfered such that the front and tail edges don't really engage until you get into 3D snow or you're pushing higher edge angles at speed where the longer effective edge lends stability. The Bataleon concept linked to above is quite interesting. This is the putative 1 ski quiver.

Then we have the application in a "leisure" ski. The target customer wants a ski that flatters them, doesn't necessarily need tips that hook up instantaneously and a tail that punishes them for being in the back seat or spits them out faster from the turn. So you build in some ABS, traction control type features with no hook tips and tails that skid around easily. Sure racers won't be pulling it from the rack and it might reward the lazy but if people have fun relatively safely so what?
snow report
fat bob wrote:
... so what?
Indeed, so what. But I bet the marketing boys won't describe it as a ski "with crippled performance elements so it won't punish your ropey technique" wink

Is a hooky tip a real problem for many skiers? Didn't we stop "de-tuning" the fronts of skis years ago?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy