Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll, Mayrhoven or Elmau for family ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Could anyone give me some comparative guidance on the resorts of Soll, Mayrhoven and Elmau as we are wanting to book this years group ski holiday from the 18th February.
We are a mixed group of intermediate skiers and our previous Austrian holidays have been in Zell am Zee and Saalbach. We prefer Austria to France.
The group is made up of 5 families with children in late teens - early twenties.
We went to Zell for 2 years in a row as the sking was good and the apres ski / bars / clubs were a great mix that suited everyone needs.
Zell would be our back stop but we would like to try somewhere new.
We went to Saalbach last year at 1/2 term and probably didn't get the best out of the resort due to the limited snow covering. Compared to Zell, we did not find the apres ski / bars / clubs as suitbale to the ones in Zell. We found the social side of apres ski more family orientated in Zell where they seemed to be large groups of youths in Saalbach that dominated the main apre ski bars.
Therefore, our ideal location would be a resort that had similair characteristics to Zell in the following:-

Lively centre with good mix of reasonably priced bars, clubs and resturants.
Good accomodation options for 3 to 4 star hotels and also a good selection of apartments.
Within 2 hour transfer from Salzburg airport for those who are flying.
Good mixture of slopes for intermediate skiers.
Preferably a high resort with a fairly large area to ski.
Modern lift infrastructure as with not too many T-bars.

Any help will be much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are they the ones near Massunutten?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 11-10-11 20:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jezzer96, keep in mind Soll and Ellmau are part of the Ski Welt region so you'd have access to both areas on the lift pass, either resort is good for families, personally I think you'd prefer either of them to Mayrhofen if you want to Ski down to village level as Mayrhofen doesn't really have that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've been to Ellmau and had a great time. I wouldn't say it was a really lively place, a reasonable sized village with a few restuarants, bars and I think one club. I understand Soll is a bit livelier.

Neither resort are very high, about 700m, the highest point the Hohe Salve is only about 1800m I think. Snow coverage is pretty good though, we went over New Year when it was relatively mild, could only ski back to Ellmau at the beginning of the week as the snow started to disappear down low. Dumped it down on our way home though and they were sorted for the rest of the season (the whole area is covered by cannons too I think).

Perfect skiing for intermediates, nothing too tricky, and nice to ski down to each of the villages.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy