Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland for a cheeky weekend or short break?

Poster: A snowHead
I posted this in response to some comments in another thread, but it's really going way of topic so will start a new one!

Even from the SE (perhaps more so than other parts of the South) don't rule Scotland out for a cheeky weekend or short mid-week trip, esp if it's a drop of a hat I need to slide itch and the weather gods are smiling situation! The ScotRail Caledonian Sleeper is a largely untapped resource for this purpose, but it's possibilities are not lost on the climbing world (from experience in the lounge bar at any rate... Laughing ).

Obviously it's only October so this is a short notice price comparison that isn't a fully fledged winter one, as EasyJet aren't flying to several winter destinations atm, so I choose Vienna airport for the example. The dates used were of this week to get short term prices and based on setting off from Central London:

The mission was a 2 day short break at the destination on Wed & Thursday, travelling Tuesday afternoon or evening and back on Friday.

Pricing up this using Vienna as an example. Outward flight was at noon on Tuesday, return on Friday was in to Gatwick at 5.10pm.

Full cost of flights including taxes, booking fee and 1 set of skis (assuming you can stuff everything in the ski bag/hand luggage) was £404.74.

The cheapest hotel that came up on the EasyJet site for Vienna was £72.38 per night single room, so used that to price accommodation at £217.13 for 3 nights.

Priced car hire at £126.73 for an economy model (suggested model was a fiat 500, will your skis fit?).

Finally chuck in £20 for two advance singles for the Gatwick Express.

All told for travel and accommodation (excluding ski pass and spending cash) the total is £768.60, requiring you give up Tuesday and Friday for travel, so 4 days off work for 2 skiing.

However, the Snowgods and Weather gods are smiling on the Central Highlands, so what about the ScotRail Caledonian Sleeper?

A basic super off-peak anglo-Scottish return is £131. Based on this ticket with appropriate supplements the ticket price would be as follows:

Seated Sleeper Return: £131 return
Berth in Shared Cabin: £207 return
Solo Cabin Return: £239 return
Seat out / Solo Back: £185

Let's base this on the solo cabin both ways, push the boat out a bit! Departing at 21.15hrs on the Tuesday, should be possible for a large number without time of work on Tuesday. Arrives back in London at 7.47am on Friday (or 6.40 if you use an Inverness Edinburgh train to connect with the lowland sleeper from Edinburgh).

Travelling overnight means you only require 1 nights accommodation. A single room with full breakfast at the Cairngorm Hotel across the road from Aviemore Station is £85 on Wed night this week. There is a bus to the mountain from outside the station, 2 days of return tickets would be £8.

Total Cost with solo berth on the Sleeper and 1nights accommodation + transport to CairnGorm Mountain £332.

Or if you go with the seated up and solo berth back down option £279.

How cheap can it be done, well a private room in the Aviemore Youth Hostel is £16 a night, plus the seated sleeper both ways: £156. At that price that's just shy of five trips for the price of the one on EasyJet.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does the cost of the rail fare increase if you book at the last minute? Is it easy to find B&B accommodation at short notice which is reasonably close to public transport options which serve the ski areas?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, the cost does increase nearer the time, although many rail tickets are refundable so you can book well in advance and get your money back if you don't go
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IMHO the best, cheapest & easiest way to ski Scotland is for a bunch of mates to jump in a car. Keep an eye on the web cams, snow report and weather - then head north on a Friday night when conditions look good. Obviously from London or the far south taking train probably makes most sense... But for anyone north of Manchester driving to Scotland is a very realistic option (and not expensive if split 3 or 4 ways).

Quote:
... easy to find B&B accommodation at short notice

In winter time there is almost always decent priced accommodation.
Scotland is not short of B&Bs / youth hostels or bunk houses.
If you cant find something in Aviemore or Fort William there will be something nearby in places like Boat of Garten or Onich.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I live just outside Hitchin in hertfordshire, I drive a Nissan pathfinder, I also know it takes 9ish hours to drive and I can do it on less than a tank full of diesel each way(approx £100 per fill). The Hilton up there is a good place to stay with loads of stuff on site, if you buy when they have their "sale" on it can be reasonable value.
Just looked back a last Easters trip, 4 mid week nights DB&B for 3 of us was just over £300. They have on site ski hire, discounted for residents, the cycling straight out of the door is fantastic.
That's where we will be heading for again next Easter.
Just hope there's a little more snow left, this year there was just a Brazilian shaped mogul field left, brilliant fun though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, further to your comments on B&Bs etc, There is reliable talk that Glencoe is putting in lodges, showers and 11 caravan/motor home hook ups.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Due to the expected arrival of Jnr C No2 in January our usual New Year week in the Alps is not a goer this year.

So I'm planning on watching the weather and driving up for a couple of days of Scottish skiing between Christmas and New Year if conditions look ok.

Have company car and fuel card so travel cost is zero Toofy Grin Other than the 9hr drive I'm looking forward to it as never ventured north of the border with skis before.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
There is reliable talk that Glencoe is putting in lodges, showers and 11 caravan/motor home hook ups.

Not sure when they are due Dot.
I guess not in time for this winter - but the planning application is certainly in.
That will make a big difference for Glencoe (and also make money all year round).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Pricing up this using Vienna as an example.

Bit of an odd example. Munich, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Zurich, Geneva, Turin etc but not Vienna. Late flights out of those generally allow a full(ish) days skiing and save a hotel night.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, Easyjet are not currently flying to Salzburg and Innsbruck or at least not during the week and was wanting a short notice price example,
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Winterhighland, Geneva would be the default example.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Out Tuesday evening, back Thursday evening from Munich currently £287 (with skis), would suspect though that short notice prices to Munich in winter will tend to be significantly higher if available at all? Current evening timings could save a nights accommodation with 2 instead of 3 needed, but evening departure is not as late as the Sleeper North, plus check in times for the airport. Total cost with options I outlined above £490ish.

It's October School holidays in various parts of Scotland this week, so I suspect in winter mid-week away from the obvious holiday periods you could get the Cairngorm Hotel cheaper. As with almost every ski area on earth, Scottish Ski Areas are busier at weekends, but if you have days off mid-week you could get exceptional value, practically have the mountain to yourselves and 2 days on the snow with no time off work. It's definitely worth consideration and keeping an eye on weather.

I used CairnGorm as it's the easiest option without a car, esp if you get into the Cairngorm Hotel which is just across the street from the station and morning bus stop. The Sleeper of course also goes to Fort William (also stops at Crianlarich and Bridge of Orchy, worth keeping an eye on these hotels to see if there's any offers going). Certainly there's already a few hotels got some cracking offers up on the Glencoe website (www.glencoemountain.com).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller wrote:
Winterhighland, Geneva would be the default example.

It would be a funny choice for Austria. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland, indeed it would but, on this forum, more are likely to think Geneva and some carbuncle of a purpose-built resort - that's the competition for Scotland. Munich is the other popular choice because the BA / Lufthansa / easy flight times are friendly and there's a huge amount of capacity. More often than not I find the BA price to Munich beats easyJet.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Winterhighland wrote:
Yes you can book flights very cheaply months ahead, but I was trying to make a short notice comparison.

Yeah but it's October so it's of course still the summer schedules.I did a winter 2 years ago where I booked 6 trips to Austria in about Nov, so got cheap deals on all the flights I needed. Last year I had the pleasure of commuting each day on the east coast mainline into London. Any sign of cold weather and snow the service was a f-ing joke. So it's a safe bet that if there was some decent winter weather and I'm training from London to Scotland I would have big delays. Like I said before I did UK home to ski lift in 6 hours several times, car hire (polo or similar) about 25Euros per day, accom from 45Euros for twin b&b, had season pass as more than 12 days skiing then season pass cheaper (approx 500euros for huge range of resorts).

Anyway back to October, I did manage a sneaky ski tour or two last weekend, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78906&start=40. It helps to relocate to the mountains.
snow conditions
Think half the problem is that people that would never even consider trying it out are so keen to disprove that it can be good value or decent on any level. Can just imagine one of waynos' mates dare suggest going to ski in Scotland for a few days.
snow report
Alans deep bath, tried it, drove and flown from london to scotland for ski trips.
ski holidays
I've just booked our February half-term long-weekend trip to Scotland.

Like this year, we'll drive up on the Friday, leaving the midlands around 3pm, and get to hotel in Perth about 10pm. Up relatively early on the Saturday with the intention of skiing Glenshee or Cairngorm, but could head west to Glen Coe or Nevis. Saturday night we've got a hotel in Inverness, so Sunday we intend to ski Cairngorm (but we did end up in Lecht last Feb as Cairngorm was closed). Sunday and Monday nights we're in Fort William so plan on skiing Nevis and Glencoe - but could always head east again.

I know booking this far in advance is a risk if conditions are poor, but I'm sure we can find something else to amuse ourselves for a few days. And if the worst comes to the worst, the total cost of four nights accommodation is only £110, so it's not exactly a disaster if we end up not going.
latest report
waynos, fair. I enjoy Europe to ski but there's something special about a good day in Scotland that makes any hassle worthwhile.
snow conditions
Scotland is in Europe, isn't it?

Can probably get a hotel booking with arrival day cancellation policy, but just secure the rooms on credit card. Then just decide by the Thursday whether to go straight from work on the Friday, or cancel in case there's a heatwave.

When I lived in Bristol it seemed a right faff to get to somewhere in Scotland, but it was only when sorting out MTB trip this year that I realised there's an IC service direct from central London to Aviemore, and accommodation literally within paces (may be 1 change on Penzance to Scotland?)
ski holidays
Alans deep bath, I'm all for different ski experiences and would love to try some ski touring in scotland one day and england for that matter. I did some New Zealand club fields years back, rope tows and no piste bashers, limited electricity in the evenings, no bar on the mountain, one bus a week to the hill. Very rustic but a great experience. Back on topic my point was to say that cheap flights have made some of the alps very easy to get to at a reasonable cost. That's what scotland is up against for attracting southerners.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy