Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

5% increase in Italian VAT + New Venice tourist tax

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The VAT rate in Italy has just changed from 20% to 21%.

Not much increase but, as an example, if you have DIY'ed a hotel for €500 plus VAT (€600) you will now pay €605

Note also that the Venice concil have just also introduced a Tourist Tax (between €2 and €5 per day depending on the star grade of your hotel). You should call the hotel directly and ask them about this if you are planning to stay in Venice. The new tax is payable on the first (up to) 5 nights. Oh (and in a "you couldn't make it up" sense Madeye-Smiley ) the council say it NOT a tax but it's a Cultural Donation Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cultural Donation? A bit like the $10s added to the ESTA charge =/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At least the Swiss are honest about such things, for years they have had a tourist charge, mind you it's a flat rate that only changes between summer and winter. If you DIY and get a full bill from the hotel you will always find it listed somewhere.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whats Venice to do with "The Piste"?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wayne, So I guess we have to add Italy to France on the cor blimey how much I aint skiing there list Toofy Grin

I guess Italy will soon be 23% VAT along with Greece and Spain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_of_Europe
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton, a lot of folk will do a ski holiday to the Dolomites and add on a day or two to Venice. Much like doing a Lake Tahoe holiday and staying in San Fran for a couple of nights.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm guessing this won't affect me going to Cervinia?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The VAT rate increase will affect you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only if paying the hotel direct (plus all the daily food/drink etc. expenses, lift pass maybe). A package thru a UK TO would be UK VAT?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If the good citizens of (in this case) Italy, want to continue paying civil servants and others salaries they can not afford and not have a corresponding tax, it is only right that those of us that use their facilities have to dig deeper! 21% is and has been the norm here in Ireland for years, but the cost of a pint on the slopes is much cheaper than in Dublin and other cities! Guess I may do a cheap week in Italy this year! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy wrote:
A package thru a UK TO would be UK VAT?

Not really - well, yes, but not really yes. If you understand. wink
UK TO's work in the TO's VAT margin scheme so the amount of VAT in your bill is not the same as the total amount payable by the TO, "if" the tour is to the EU. If not (to the EU) then there is no VAT.

Hope that cleared that up. Still baffles the hell out of me Puzzled
The basic are that the TO will pay VAT on the margin of the tour, less any non-directly-applicable costs.
So, they can add up all the cost involved in your tour - hotel, lift pass, etc (including Non VATable items like busses, flights), etc. Then they pay VAT on the different between that and what you are charged. Non attributable items - like admin, office, staff, etc or not in the margin scheme so they are declared in the normal way - so that there is enough money in the pot for MP's to get their expenses.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf, As a TO in France we have the same. Most accomodation providers have to charge a tax per bed night. Helps to pay for the weekly fireworks, hot chocolate after the descente a flambeau etc.
In our valley "the valley d'aulps" the further you get from Morzine the less per night is the tax.
It is also higher depending on the rating of the accomodation.
Just something we absorb that the guests rarely know about.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy