Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner With Kids ideas of best resorts Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello All,

want to take the kids away for christmas week they are 16 and 5 and I have never been skiing prrperly before. Been to Val's'dere and hired a private instructor for all 3 of us which was not the best of plans however my 16 year old did well despite our instructors english being a bit rusty. Any ideas of the best resort to meet all the varied ages to include some time for nice meals spa etc in case I do not learn to skii properly I should have a nice time instead. I have no doubt the kids will enjoy it.

Please help.

K
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To be fair there are probably loads. I went with a large group of beginners to La Rossiere and thought it was perfect for begineners for Christmas it was quiet and large/interesting enough with the Le Thuile link once they gained confidence. It's mainly south facing so can be sunny plus if the weather isn't great in Le Ros it likely will be in LT.

I've never seen so much snow fall in a week and that was Xmas 09.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KayBristol, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Yes, loads of resorts would fit the bill. But to narrow it down a bit, what sort of budget are you looking at, and what sort of accommodation? (Hotel, renting an apartment, catered chalet, etc etc)

The choice of ski school could be more critical to the enjoyment of your holiday than the choice of resort.

If it's your first proper ski holiday it might be a good idea to book a package with a tour operator (not necessarily one of the big ones, there are lots of good smaller ones).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lech or Courchevel 1850 stay in a hotel at either will be fabulous at Xmas, both are eye wateringly expensive. Courchevel has the advantage that one can fly into the resort's altiport from Paris. Book an instructor from Supreme ski and snowboard school, all top qualified British, guaranteed to teach you to ski. Le Chalet de Pierres for lunch, or if it is snowing and you are doing well Hotel Peupliers in 1300 and book a table outside for a sunny day at Bistro du Praz whilst you are there. 3 valleys to ski. Lech is Austrian chic, set on a road with traffic at the base, but the hotels are glorious, the snow is usually sure at Xmas and was popular with the royals, lovely cruisey resort, everyone is famous with a big pair of sunglasses, even you. Zurs is next door more chic and one can join the riff raff at St Anton via a quick bus journey. Ski schools are good, the home of the idea. Buy a pair of made to measure Strolz boots in the classic flowerpot red. I wish I could come with you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
KayBristol, Really to get some usefull information you need to give some idea of your budget type of accomodation you require eg self or 5 star hotel wether you are prepaired to drive from airport. Pam w advice is good with a tour operator it should all be taken care of and you shold know what you are getting.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi KayBristol,

We live in La Plagne and find it's great for beginners because there are gentle beginners areas, a massive choice of blue runs, and a couple of really good ski schools. Les Coches, where we are, is a small village but it's got an ice rink, a nice centre to potter round and a playgroud and sledging area (great for the 5 y.o). There is a cinema and swimming pool just a few minutes free bus ride away. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or click the link in my tag line.

We use Evo 2 in Les Coches for ski school who are fab. Wherever you decide I would recommend English language group lessons for ski school. Children learn differently from adults so being in an adult class will help you a lot, and allow your 16 year old to progress without parents cramping his/her style wink. Ski schools run group lessons so that they all start and finish in the same place at the same times so no worries about getting lost. If you book with a reputable ski school any instructor teaching English group lessons will speak good English.

Happy planning!
Heather
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all for the responses so far, you have all been so wonderful. I understand what you mean about more information. In terms of budget I don't know really but lets aim for a 5 star or 4 star as a minimum. When we went for 5 days we stayed at
Hotel Le Blizzard - Val D Isere as I have nothing to compare with I don't know if that was good or bad or value for money or not. I was hoping some snowheads would throw some figures at me to help plan and know what to allow.Hope to get some more replies Confused Kay
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cynic,

thank you for your reply please see the last post for more info. Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cynic wrote:
Lech or Courchevel 1850 stay in a hotel at either will be fabulous at Xmas, both are eye wateringly expensive. Courchevel has the advantage that one can fly into the resort's altiport from Paris. Book an instructor from Supreme ski and snowboard school, all top qualified British, guaranteed to teach you to ski. Le Chalet de Pierres for lunch, or if it is snowing and you are doing well Hotel Peupliers in 1300 and book a table outside for a sunny day at Bistro du Praz whilst you are there. 3 valleys to ski. Lech is Austrian chic, set on a road with traffic at the base, but the hotels are glorious, the snow is usually sure at Xmas and was popular with the royals, lovely cruisey resort, everyone is famous with a big pair of sunglasses, even you. Zurs is next door more chic and one can join the riff raff at St Anton via a quick bus journey. Ski schools are good, the home of the idea. Buy a pair of made to measure Strolz boots in the classic flowerpot red. I wish I could come with you.
Smile
thank you it all sounds good. let me know if you think of anymore...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi KayBristol,

Glad that you are finding the figures useful - bet the kids are getting excited about going away!

In terms of booking you've got a couple of options - either reserve a package with a tour operator or reserve each element seperately. Booking with a tour operator tends to make the process easier, whilst booking independantly (often called DIY) gives you more choice and allows you to reserve with smaller, more boutique-style companies.

For packages there are quite a few more up-market operators - take a look at Powder Byrne and Scott Dunn as a starting point.

Over Christmas different companies are offering different dates so going independantly your best option is to choose the accommodation which you like the look of and then book the flights. For catered chalets you can put your request onto Chalets Direct (or take a look at us - link in my tag line Blush ) or Chalet Finder. You'll get sent a list of suggestions and then you can pick the one you like best. They will then be able to help with flights, transfers, lessons etc. For hotels you can book through sites such as e-bookers.com as you would for any other trip.

Cost wise, over Christmas you're looking at around £2000 per person for a really high end package, but could find something really nice with a cheaper operator for around the £800pp mark. For chalet only, £500-1000 per person for the week will get you something really quite nice.

I hope that helps - happy planning!
Heather
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

£2000 per person for a really high end package

I once would have thought this was high end, but not after the winters my son spent cooking in really high end places. Accommodation only was rather more than that - a lot more, in peak weeks.

How the other half ski, eh?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa, ski in ski out, excellent ski school and for the kids the "Birds of Prey" downhill track, high, good snow and an escalator to get to the slopes. The Chef in whites hands out cookies to the very short marshalled lift queue at base a.m, free tissues, and everyone speaks english. Book fine dining in one of the private yurts en piste at Arrowhead with it's own chef. Nice slope side room Xmas 2011, it's got spas, fitness centre, fine eateries and you should just be able to see the other side of the room $1000 a day. Fly into Eagle (the local for Vail and Beaver Creek) from Denver. Relax in the fire pit apre with a cocktail from the ice bar. Xmas with uncle sam not a euro in sight mmmmmm I can just taste it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy