Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR : Scottish mountains are not high enough and the snow not good enough

Poster: A snowHead
So here is mini-TR of what we managed to find in Scotland last winter

Dec 2010- Pentland Hills
Last winter started off with some ski touring in the Pentlands hill near Edinburgh.
Its not very often that you can ski here... But its pretty special to be able to leave your house and 5 minutes later be skinning up this

When they have snow the Pentlands are very much like a mini Cairngorms. The grassy slopes are rock free - and in the last 2 winters have offered some suprisingly good early season skiing. MoffatRoss ascending.

Dec 2010 - Glenshee
December brought some great skiing to Glenshee.
Highrustler enjoying some early morning turns on Carn Aosda

Second run of the day - followed by a 2nd hitch hike back to the ski area.

Never had any trouble hitch hiking with skis! This was a cool, if somewhat breazy, ride.

A nice northern sunset (no photoshop)

Just after xmas we went back to Glenshee and investigated the Bannana chute.
This was a new one to me - a really nice aesthetic line.

It reminded me of a mini Bannana cool-war (as found in La Grave).

The short skin out back to the ski area was really scenic

Typical early season Scottish conditions on Meall Odhar at Glenshee

An offpiste run into Cul Riabhach, from Glas Maol.
Looking very nordic.

On this run bumped into PeterS who was a nice tele-skier

Jan / Feb - Glencoe 2011
Glencoe is very much my home Scottish ski area.
Its the smallest Scottish ski area - but has the best terrain.

McHardski finds some fun rocky lines.

A small break in the clouds, on an otherwise misty day

The Ski Club Of Great Britian quoted 25cm for Glencoes lower runs.
We measured 1m40 on the plateau when we dug out the water hole wink

Early morning first tracks. Cant beat a crisp cold Scottish morning!

White Dot skis organised a cool test day. The Ragnarouk almost broke me... The surprise winner for me was the Director. WD hit a real home run with that ski. Ross wonders if he would look good in Pink ?

Glencoe Airways testing the Redemer

Then of course there was the (in)famous nipple deep sunday...
80cm overnight Very Happy
Have spent entire winters in the alps when it never got this deep.

And some nice pisten-carven too as well.

Jan - Cairngorm
Some fun turns next to the funicular

March - Creag Meagaidh 2011
March there was a thaw.
So we hiked into Creag Meagaidh to see what was happening...

Hiking past the giant waterfall

To find another nice couloir.
I heard Scotland is the new Dolomites wink

March - Back to Glencoe
This wild run on the east ridge was one of my season highlights

Glencoes secret back corrie

A 30 minute hike from Clach Leathad back to the ski area and the prosepct of Irn Bru in the cafe!

When its in condition Glencoe has to be one of the best places to ski in the world...
(it can also be one of the worst!)

The legendary Cliff Hanger chair at Glencoe.

March - Ben Lui 2011
At the end of March myself and Ross hiked into Ben Lui to ski the centre gully.
One of the most scenic mountains in Scotland

The entrance was kind of fruity

Who said dynafit isnt secure for steep skiing ?

A real nice face. Centre gully is the middle dog leg chute

Scotland or mini New Zealand ?

April - Ben Nevis 2011
We finished the season with a trip to Ben Nevis

Jamie and Craig are the highest skiers in the UK

First skied Tower Gully 9 years ago.
It was nice to be back - the entry hasnt got any less rowdy!

The mist covered up the exposure...

Last turns of the winter in a 600m long gully on Ben Nevis

So in summary I guess...

Quote:
... the mountains are not high enough and the snow not good enough and there is very little that can be done about that.
wink Very Happy

Roll on winter.
Have a great season everyone.
Where ever you are on the globe there is nothing wrong with 'wee' ski resorts!

Doug.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 10-10-11 7:00; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LOL, great photies Doug - respect!

Where's the quote from?

Love the sig piccy, did admin force that one on you? Wink

You gonna break cover and join us for the Snowheads Scottish bash in March?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quality photos. The walk in towards The Window is a fair trek. The main couloir in the headwall looked complete at the end of April but the entrance was still hairy!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What a brilliant way to show the range of skiing that Scotland has to offer! I hope to see lots more of the resorts and hopefully a bit more besides this year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice photos Haggis_Trap. I was trying to find a You Tube video with the Gadjits "Tell Yourself" so you could have a sound track to your TR, sadly it's too obscure... NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice one. Whereabouts is the 'Banana Couloir' in Glen Shee?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Clarky - on the back side of Glas Maol going into Caenlochan glen.
Its a great line - you can ski in from the poma then its a 40min skin back to the ski area.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll be back at Glencoe with my Caravan in the car park for the winter. Love that place.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Awesome thread. Same again this winter for you hopefully.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haggis_Trap, quality stuff ,need to get into the Scottish backcountry on my next trip this season.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice photos Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Excellent pics. My OH is from Oban originally so we get up to visit family pretty often. I've had some great days of sliding up there and have been lucky eveytime I've been it seems with good to brilliant conditions.

This was Nevis Range in April

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You're right about the last few years but anyone who remembers some of the shocking winters of the past will know that bare hills are just a few warm fronts away.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ For sure - Though even in 2003 or 2007 (which were real stinkers) I managed at least a few good quality ski days.
No one is pretending that Scotland is the Alps - it has always been about making the most of conditions when opportunity arises.
Grizwalds picture of the goose t-bar certainly looks like it could easily be somewhere more exotic Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

You're right about the last few years but anyone who remembers some of the shocking winters of the past will know that bare hills are just a few warm fronts away.

Which years would those be then? I can only remember one really dire year since I moved to Scotland in the late nineties and several epic years, though often the really good skiing was concentrated into just a couple of fairly short periods.
ski holidays
Doug's chosen the year i was thinking of (2007). 2003 I remember some decent skiing, with the big problem from memory being that the good early snow was wiped out by a short sharp warm spell and the rest of the season was cold, but dry.
latest report
ya Doug, but sometimes there can be nae snow, so it's clearly shite Very Happy

keep her going. A nice point of reference is Doug's early season pic skiing along by the funicular track on Cairngorm, for big stretches of the last 2 seasons, they've had to dig DOWN to reach and clear it for the train to run. Guess the report got it right, they should have built the thing much higher Toofy Grin

and, "oops, oh dear, typical, the road was shut" Laughing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cairngormmountain/4321859971/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cairngormmountain/4321872175/
snow conditions
So then, can we have a new tag line, "Scotland - amazing if you don't mind a bit of a walk" Wink
ski holidays
Woo hoo!

Some quality lines in those pics...the Tower Gully entrance is money!
snow report
nice pics, Doug
we'll have to post some more negative stuff about scotland to keep the pics rolling Wink
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Nice one. Whereabouts is the 'Banana Couloir' in Glen Shee?

just what i was going to ask - on the list for coming season Very Happy

Tower Gully - youre a Blue (best emoticon for cool dude) that not on this list wink

Fab thread!
latest report

A wee bit of snow on my ski in ski out chalet at Glencoe
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, great photo's I really have to get up and ski the Nevis range this winter Very Happy
snow conditions
Great photos! But, to be honest, most of them don't show the sort of skiing that the great majority look for on a ski holiday.
latest report
Quote:
... sort of skiing that the great majority look for on a ski holiday.

There is plenty easy piste skiing in Scotland.

For sure - you wouldn't pre book a weeks holiday to Scotland.
But if you live in the northern half of the UK then Scotland is very accessible for a weekend when conditions look good.
Assuming you can fill a car it would always be cheaper & easier than a 2 or 3 day alpine break.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 10-10-11 14:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
For sure - you wouldnt go to Scotland for a weeks holiday.

Oops - now you are talking Scotland down!

For most of the first fifteen years of my skiing, until I moved out to Germany, I had very enjoyable week's ski holidays at Easter in the Cairngorms (sometimes a fortnight! And most weekends in Glenshee, occasionally Glencoe when Glenshee lacked snow). Admittedly, that was with Scout groups, so I wasn't always buzzing up and down the slopes on my own. And maybe there was more snow around in the 60s and 70s (until the last couple of years). I still think, though, that particularly intermediate skiers could enjoy a great week's skiing holiday in Scotland. The lift facilities are mostly not up to current Alpine standards, unfortunately, and sometimes insufficient for the demand. That does put people off (several of the friends I started skiing with, for example) but, if you can put up with that (and the weather sometimes), the skiing is fine - taking it as it is, as has been said.

P.S. Thanks for the extra photos - brings back happy memories Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

I still think, though, that particularly intermediate skiers could enjoy a great week's skiing holiday in Scotland. The lift facilities are mostly not up to current Alpine standards, unfortunately, and sometimes insufficient for the demand. That does put people off (several of the friends I started skiing with, for example) but, if you can put up with that (and the weather sometimes), the skiing is fine - taking it as it is, as has been said.

Yes the lifts are not up to alpine standards and it can get very busy at weekends, but the alpine resorts can be very busy during school holidays and the sottish resorts are usually very quiet midweek.

Also scottish sking will improve your skiing as the run conditions often don't flatter poor technique.
latest report
Dave Horsley wrote:
Also scottish sking will improve your skiing as the run conditions often don't flatter poor technique.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great report with some stunning locations..... just a shame the post title is so negative wink
ski holidays
espri wrote:
I still think, though, that particularly intermediate skiers could enjoy a great week's skiing holiday in Scotland. The lift facilities are mostly not up to current Alpine standards, unfortunately, and sometimes insufficient for the demand. That does put people off (several of the friends I started skiing with, for example) but, if you can put up with that (and the weather sometimes), the skiing is fine - taking it as it is, as has been said.

Yes, I've done that with very mixed groups, mostly less experienced skiers than me (which gives you some idea if you know me) it doesn't have to be all gnarly couloirs. Just make sure your group is realistic, know not to expect alpine grooming and are happy to go for a walk/brewery trip instead if weather dictates. We've managed to get pretty full weeks in though by renting accommodation around Fort William and then just getting up, looking at the cover/forecast and driving to Glencoe, Nevis or Cairngorm. Have been able to book beginners onto lessons for the same day at Nevis by phoning in the morning as well just before setting off. There's plenty of blue and red territory to keep people amused, especially if it's short break and you're only doing a day or two at each. My only tip would be, for those who don't have their own skis, try to rent from Aviemore/FW/home to last you the trip, don't faff around renting each day from each ski area, unless you realllly want to hold up the rest of your group or have a fetish for rear entries! (Also I hear that they sometimes run out of rentals at peak times?)
latest report
damn, wish i didnt live here so i could come on a ski trip Laughing

some multi-centre action is a good shout, real sense of a road trip, and some of the routes to and between the centres can be pretty special (up to Glencoe over the moor, through Glencoe itself to Fort William is magic, Fort William to Aviemore passing Laggan Dam, Creag Meagaidh & "Glenbogle" is a particular favourite as is Aviemore to Glenshee via the Lecht & Braemar). Spontaneous mini-tours launched from the roadside at any number of spots along these routes can also offer great sport

This does add some challenges / chances to the trip in terms of road conditions etc., but a sense of fun and adventure and a willingness to enjoy a plan b or c on a day or two, and you'll have a blast.

In fact, that settles it - domestic ski road trip is ON again this year Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Clarky - on the back side of Glas Maol going into Caenlochan glen.
Its a great line - you can ski in from the poma then its a 40min skin back to the ski area.

Cheers - on the list!
ski holidays
Great stuff! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I'll have to do a day at Glencoe again - perhaps the thusday before the Snowheads bash - especially if I can find someone to show me the unusual bits.
Banana looks tasty - didn't know about that.
Tower Gully entry .... I'd be pissing myself. I think I'd use a rope if it is as bad as it looks.
ski holidays
Nice one Doug! Central gully on Lui looks awesome, still haven't managed to ride that one (and not likely now that I'm living somewhat far away in another "wee" resort!).

Tower Gully entry is definitely "interesting". I was glad I climbed up the couloir when I did it as there was a mahoosive overhanging cornice which would have made it all but impossible (without some pretty major chopping or ropework). Neatly, the wind had actually hollowed-out the space below the couloir, so I had a wee "room" with four walls, roof and stunning views through the windae to let me strap my board on at leisure instead of the usual desperate-panicking-scarier-than-the-descent process of trying to strap-in at 45°!
snow report
I have really enjoyed reading some of this and glad you are all feeling some love. Here are a few links of Scottish skiing that mean a lot to me!

http://youtube.com/v/2DPh-7vZ2Ww for those BASI lovers amongst us

Also try a bit of this. As the season last year in the French Alps went from dire to appalling, a bunch of us instructors drooled over this footage and even started considering booking a flight home to get at least a few decent turns in

http://youtube.com/v/Hqhulpb3f1A&feature=fvwrel

Haggis_trap - I came across your site a while ago and loved it. Remember though, even you can do some harm to the Scottish ski industry! On looking for some footage on google, one of the top hits was, well, this

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/articles/hardestsnow.shtml.

Missing my days as a full time instructor at Nevis Range in the 90's, loving my days as a full time instructor in the Three Valleys, France
snow report
I have really enjoyed reading some of this and glad you are all feeling some love. Here are a few links of Scottish skiing that mean a lot to me!

http://youtube.com/v/2DPh-7vZ2Ww for those BASI lovers amongst us

Also try a bit of this. As the season last year in the French Alps went from dire to appalling, a bunch of us instructors drooled over this footage and even started considering booking a flight home to get at least a few decent turns in

http://youtube.com/v/Hqhulpb3f1A&feature=fvwrel

Haggis_trap - I came across your site a while ago and loved it. Remember though, even you can do some harm to the Scottish ski industry! On looking for some footage on google, one of the top hits was, well, this

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/articles/hardestsnow.shtml.

Missing my days as a full time instructor at Nevis Range in the 90's, loving my days as a full time instructor in the Three Valleys, France
snow report
Quote:

Shocked Shocked

That's a sphincter clencher for sure! Is that pitch sustained the whole way?
snow report
Love the Pentlands touring pics Haggis_Trap, is that the route from Nine Mile Burn ending up at Flotterstone? I haven't been out in the Pentlands in the snow but was up walking at the weekend looking for some possible ski routes, your second pic looks like the view from Turnhouse Hill looking towards Nine Mile Burn way? The big hill behind you in the pic looked like it would be a lovely ski down, either to the road or off the other side towards Glencorse reservoir, have you done much skiing in the Pentlands?
ski holidays
lynseyf, that was the route. There was some really nice snow down the reservoir sides (NW'ly aspects) of the hills that day but the tops had been scoured quite firm and the the south facing sides were deeply crusty.

Here's another off piste route that can be easily linked back into a Scottish ski area. I can't wait to ski it again in bright sunshine but I gather it's a wee bit unstable after heavy, fresh snow ...

snow report
moffatross, uncalled for Laughing , though I reckon many on here will appreciate the full yarn on this from the main man!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy