Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SnoZone - Glasgow vs Castleford

Poster: A snowHead
Sup peeps.

Castleford and Glasgow are similar distances away from us and we are thinking of heading to one or the other one weekday this month... which is best?

...Go!

Mac
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
careful, Glesga has a ginormous shopping centre next door and a ginormous Ikea over the road, many's an innocent trip has turned into an epic Shocked rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could go to Chill Factore in Manchester instead.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobW, ok so lets expand it.

a) Glasgow
b) Castlelford
c) Manchester
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mac22, I think the snow at Castleford is usually better than Braehead.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs, if Castleford has any snow on the uptrack it would be an improvement on Braehead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've never been to Castleford. Snow is better at Chill Factor IMO and is generally a nicer experience as they seem to have both drags running regardless of how many people are in. Glasgow only seem to run one drag of late unless it's heaving. Other half has family in Glasgow so that usually decided it for me. Last time I looked Braehead was cheaper for the equivlent ammount of time FWIW. Glasgow is a much easier drive with the new section of motorway opeening up earlier this year, I go whith whichever is cheaper......
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mac22, Glasgow seems to have constant jumps etc which are closed off apart from Friday nights. Snow was so crap the last time I went, I complained to management. Very little snow on uplift as andytb, has hinted at. I haven't skied there in over a year because of above but visit Braehead fairly regularly so doesn't look that much has changed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Manchester has had some obstacles out for general use all summer, it's been pretty good. Snow has been variable, they apparently 'reconditioned' it recently, I think that means they drained the lot and did it again, it's definitely been better since then.

Make sure you shop around on moneysupermarket or moneysavingsexpert, you should be able to get 2 for 1 easily enough (I've never paid full price!)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cas seems to have park features out from wed evening thru to Fri evening, then it's clear again until the next Wednesday.

What are you looking to do there, as that may affect the recommendations!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mac22,

Castleford must be better because I'm there wink wink wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
Cas seems to have park features out from wed evening thru to Fri evening, then it's clear again until the next Wednesday.

What are you looking to do there, as that may affect the recommendations!

Quite a lot of park features there yesterday (Sunday). Both lifts were running all the time and snow on 95% of the tracks. Central section was a little hard but not icy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mac22, I have not done Glasgow but I have done the others and would choose Manchester.

Better snow, wider slope at the bottom (less dangerous) ever so slightly longer slope.

If you are between Glasgow and Castleford then Manchester must be closer too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have to go past the entrance to Castleford to go to Manchester but prefer Chill Factore. Its certainly bigger, they're doing betting lift pass offers, you can spectate & see the whole slope unlike Cas where they have the worse viewing facilities on offer known to mankind!

If your in to freestyle though Cas certainly caters for that quite well with good park layouts.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boabski wrote:
Mac22, Glasgow seems to have constant jumps etc which are closed off apart from Friday nights. Snow was so crap the last time I went, I complained to management. Very little snow on uplift as andytb, has hinted at. I haven't skied there in over a year because of above but visit Braehead fairly regularly so doesn't look that much has changed.

The slope was totally clear today but the up tracks were still dry looking.
snow conditions
I'm just looking for a wide a slope as is available and hopefully not too expensive. Probably gunna make it a week day to drop the price and hopefully avoid peak time
ski holidays
you could always try the dry slope at hillend (edinburgh)

its long, has a steeper bit at the top, and is certainly not easy skiing snowHead

just dont fall over...
snow conditions
Mac22, I *think* castleford builds jumps on Wednesdays, then they are out Thurs and Fri, so going on a Mon/Tues would give you the widest slope. Worth ringing all 3 places to see what they say first though!
snow conditions
Not been for a while but braehead does seem to always have roped off jumps and park features when I do go...
ski holidays
Leaning towards Castleford I think.

I'm sure there was talk of one in Sunderland... not holding my breath though!
snow report
There was some excited talk of a dome at Sunderland. There is a dry slope at Sunderland at Silksworth. I have not been in years. It is nothing anywhere in size or scale to the dry slopes at Hillend or Sheffield [if it is still there] or even the one over near Blackburn. The Silksworth slope has one drag IIRC and is a 3 tier like hill. It is ok I suppose, if you like that sort of thing. Would probably plump to go to the domes over the dry slope.
You've got to remember you are skiing in a fridge. Once you get over that it is entertaining enough for an hour or so. There might not be the enormous shopping outlets there are at Braehead but there's still places to eat and take your money.
snow conditions
Went over to Braehead on Sunday as we were there for the Ski show and was very impressed. Great observation desk, nice wide and reasonably long slope and no random features cluttering it up (a la Castleford)

Also was hugely impressed with the shopping mall. (Used my tastecard to get 2-4-1 at Pizza Express Happy ). Now considering a Friday evening ski followed by a (good) few drinks, then stay over at on-site travel lodge. More ski on the Saturday then back home that afternoon. Maybe tag a lesson on in there somewhere too
latest report
Braehead will be full of jocks and castleford will be full of yorkies...............stay at home mate Laughing
ski holidays
Been to all 3 and Manchester was best put their lift scan is pain in the rear. Use CF most and it can be like carpet on the uplift at times and soon it will be all the gear no idea and havoc at the bottom of the 10 second run.

Glasgow is one I normally go with my mate when i am up and have spare time in between meetings, think both are pretty similar. Its the up lifts and lack of powered on them that kills the legs LOL....

I wish the Sunerland SnoDome had went ahead as it would be been ideal for the wee ones as 25 min up the road but alas its been scrapped when Arc went the way of the RDA's.
ski holidays
II wrote:
Not been for a while but braehead does seem to always have roped off jumps and park features when I do go...

If you are in on a Thursday then there is a line of features in place, on Friday both sides have features in place for the main FS night. The overall size of snow features has been reduced therefore there is less restriction on the slope. Unless there is a comp running/comp being prepped the slope is free of features Sat - Wed. That's an old pic you posted, there is nothing in the bottom left corner.
snow report
Mac22 wrote:
Went over to Braehead on Sunday as we were there for the Ski show and was very impressed. Great observation desk, nice wide and reasonably long slope and no random features cluttering it up (a la Castleford)

Also was hugely impressed with the shopping mall. (Used my tastecard to get 2-4-1 at Pizza Express Happy ). Now considering a Friday evening ski followed by a (good) few drinks, then stay over at on-site travel lodge. More ski on the Saturday then back home that afternoon. Maybe tag a lesson on in there somewhere too

If you are a recreational skier, Friday night is not the best time to come in for a ski; it's main park night.
snow conditions
skison, "main park night"...?
ski holidays
boabski wrote:

Very few jumps are out other than Thu & Fri. The other 5 days are virtually guaranteed to be free of anything other than an occasional small rookie feature.

Perhaps you should visit on a non freestyle day/evening and see that there is plenty of space. As it's school holiday time there are 3 junior intro to freestyle camps running so not too surprisingly there will be some rookie features out. Lots of space though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mac22 wrote:
skison, "main park night"...?

Thu has one line of features, Fri has two hence it is the full park (freestyle) night.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy