Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners in Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have booked this resort with Crystal for a first time skiing holiday in February staying in a chalet and would appreciate any information about the resort that you can provide.

Do the reps tell you all about hiring your equipment and where to go when you get there or is this something I should investigate for myself?

What is a normal day for a beginners, what time do the lessons start/finish and where do you recommend for lunch or do we just go back to the chalet for cakes and drinks.

Where is the best apres ski?

Any tips and advice are appreciated, I know some of these questions probably sound a bit naive but I would rather ask then get caught out

Can anyone recommend places for good reasonable price ski clothes, are ski goggle essential or are sunglasses ok plus any info on insurance

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Do the reps tell you all about hiring your equipment and where to go when you get there or is this something I should investigate for myself?

If you book hire through Crystal, they'll organise it all. Since this is your first trip, I'd recommend you do that as it will save you a lot of bother.

Quote:

What is a normal day for a beginners, what time do the lessons start/finish and where do you recommend for lunch or do we just go back to the chalet for cakes and drinks.

If you're in group lessons they start at 09:15. there are plenty of on-mountain eating spots and lots of restaurants/snack places in resort depending on your budget. Also several supermarkets if you prefer to take your own lunch. Personally I just stuff my face at breakfast and then go home for dinner - there's certainly no way I could eat breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and then three-course meal as well.

Quote:

Where is the best apres ski?

What do you like? Champagne cocktails in the Windsor, live apres ski music at Smokey Joe's, loud music and Brits on the wee wee in Smithy's, chilled vibe at the Mini Bar, horrible cheesy club music in the Avalanche, Dutch nutcases up at the Village. Etc.

Quote:
places for good reasonable price ski clothes

The UK before you go. 2Alpes isn't as expensive as Courchevel, but like any resort it's not the best place to buy kit.

Quote:
are ski goggle essential or are sunglasses ok

Depends on the weather. If it's sunny, shades will be fine. If it snows, you'll want goggles.

Quote:
any info on insurance

Get some before you go. Crystal will no doubt be offering some if you don't want to spend hours online comparing prices.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Appletot, You've made the best possible start....by asking on here. Lizzard works in deux Alpes(and can be found lurking in a pass office somewhere wink )and,as always,offers excellent advice. To expand a little.....
Clothing,buy everything in the UK. You give no guidence on budget,or if children are involved? but....assuming you want to keep costs in hand,most of the budget stuff is fine for a first trip. Check out places like TK Max for Dare2Be,Trespass,Helly Hanson etc.Feb can be chilly,invest in decent thermal undies if you feel the cold? Goggles are cheap..your eyes are priceless(same goes for sunnies)UK sunglasses are useless on the mountain,you need CAT4...esp for kids.Decathlon always have CAT4's in stock.

Insurance.Crystal will obviously provide a one off for your trip,but well worth looking into an annual policy with Winter Sports added.Does your bank do it? Most do these days,allbeit as an extra to your account.I have it through Santander...and get winter cover,RAC and card cover for far less than any other way. Check it out?

Reps Shocked You might be lucky,and get one thats actually interested...but don't bank on it! Generally,I find them pretty hopeless.But,to be fair,they are often overwhelmed by punters...and would far rather be drinking and skiing and engaging in nocturnal pursuits Toofy Grin

Apres...just walk the main street.You will soon get a feel for the varied nightlife.

Ski's...tricky one this.Yes,you can pre-book with Crystal,and it 'appears' an easier option but...be prepared for a manic scramble in the hire shop as everyone else does the same thing!!
There are a number of smaller outfits in the town who,generally,can offer a more personel service.However,Feb is peak season,and everyone will be busy.Best advice...which ever way you go,is to be insistant over boot fit.This is crucial.Get your boots right and all will be well....get it wrong and it will end in tears(literally).You can play around with all the other gear,but your boots must be right.

Finally,and I've said this for years.If at all possible,don't waste a good ski trip learning to ski Puzzled You have plenty of time.Is there a dome within reach? Look into 'learn to ski in a day' type courses.If not suitable,take a course of lessons.Same goes for the kids(if any).You can then hit the slopes running....and not waste the first day,or three,falling on yer butt!! You will then be able to take improver lessons and get over the whole domain.Don't waste your time on the beginner slopes....learn now! Best of luck,you will love it Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good choice of resort. Make you you go onto the glacier. There are easy beginner slopes there (this is where some of our clients learn to ski in August). Your will see the views from there are just amazing and in most other resorts the very top slopes are more suited to more advanced skiers.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Clothing - I'd second a visit to TKMaxx or whatever it's called. There is loads of ski stuff in my local store at the moment. Also, try blagging clothing from friends/family especially for kids. Kids grow out of things quickly, so many families who ski often have spare clothes knocking about.

More on clothing - ski jacket, ski trousers/sallopettes (sic), thermals (unless you are hot bunny like me who overheats all the time) and make sure everyone's got a decent pair of gloves. Needn't spend a fortune, but you need proper skiing gloves. And no jeans (sorry if that is teaching granny to suck eggs).

I'd second what snowskisnow says about boots - make sure that they fit well or you will suffer big style. Don't let the hire place fob you off if the first pair doesn't fit. this is particularly important if you have a non-standard foot or leg shape/size.

Eyewear - I'd also recommend getting proper skiing eyewear which is fit for snow. Your usual sunglasses may not be of much use if they are not of the correct category.

As XPeak suggests, make sure that you get onto the glacier. It is absolutely gorgeous up there and there are some really nice long, easy runs too. But it'll be blinking cold, so wrap up well (about -15C, I guess???).

Dobby
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
To counter what snowskisnow, it's worth learning the basics at a snowdome over here, but I'd recommend you take lessons when in resort. It can be quite daunting turning up to a resort with a minimum of experience and having to ski on the side of an actual mountain!

If you've never been skiing before it can also be quite tricky navigating the pistes, and knowing which ones you should attempt for your ability level. Having an instructor show you the ropes (and chairlifts) is quite useful. Les Deux Alpes is compact enough to be able to have lessons in the morning, and still cover some good ground in the afternoon when out of lessons (if you're confident enough). Learning to do things properly on your first holiday will increase your confidence/enjoyment no end on this holiday and all your future ones. Plenty of time to go skiing for a week and not have lessons in the future.

We went with Crystal last year, they used Slide Planet as the hire shop then. The guys there were quite helpful and let us leave our shoes there during the day while skiing, and leave our skis/boots there overnight saving us carrying them across town. It wasn't too traumatic getting kit, although it did get busy some mornings when collecting. The rep we had was very helpful too, it was first week of the season and he had to bang some heads together to get the hotel staff to pull their socks up a bit. He also managed to locate and recover Jnr's Nintendo DS which he'd managed to leave on the plane on the way out!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you want lessons in LdA (and I'd think it would be pretty well essential) try Charlotte Swift (easiski.com). Excellent instructor for any level of skiing. If you've done lessons beforehand and learnt the basics, and don't want to do a complete beginner class she'd be ideal, as a private lesson can tailor the instruction to exactly your level.

But group lessons are fun, too - and the very best way of finding some suitable slopes, in a strange resort (and LdA is not as easy to navigate as many).

If it's cold and windy I wouldn't go anywhere near the glacier, personally. Could easily be far more than minus 15 with windchill and T bars aren't the most friendly lifts for beginners. But yes, on a balmy day, a great experience.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
after several trips with crystal/ esprit ( young child in tow) - and a couple pre child as a beginner
I think you will be OK with leaving a lot of the work to crystal - especially as a beginner they will have
had ( unless you are going really early season) - a few weeks to get to grips with the rush for hire stuff
and although it takes time - often have the advantage of pre-booked slots to get the gear sorted.

Plenty of cheap gear available UK, tkmaxx is obvious, theres Hawkshead online for general fleecy stuff ( they do lots of hiking gear )
also try sports direct - they do reasonable gear at good prices unless you really want to spend £100's on jackets and trousers

also they do cheap helmets and goggles if needed

worth investing in a good pair of walking boots or similar, for getting around when not skiing.

its worth taking a cople of packs of your favorite choccy bar too ( mars, snckers or similar) - as they are not exactly cheap
in resort often those 5 packs you get here are the same price as one on the slopes.

as already said save your self a couple of days and at least have a prelim lesson at somewhere like Hemel, it will probably
save you a week of lessons in a large group of beginners.

above all - have fun - and enjoy

dont forget its a bit like fishing - you can regale every one with tales of the heaviest snow, and steepest ever slopes , even if you only made it to the queue for the ski lift wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, do a learn to ski course in one of the UK fridges and you'll be in at worst the next class up from absolute beginners and not have to do too much (if any) of the ultra tedious sidestep up a few m for a second or 2 of sliding down!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Remember sunscreen! A high factor one

We go in a group skiing, quite a few of them being catered chalets. We have breakie in chalet, eat on the mountain at lunch, don't always make it back for afternoon tea as enjoying some apres ski in bars straight off mountain, then we have the dinner. We enjoy the break at lunch for a few beers and a chat on our morning (group of advanced / intermediate and beginners so often skiing different runs) and a chance to try out the diff restaurants on the mountain.

Been to 2Alpes once, think perhaps 2nd holiday, and loved the glacier skiing. If I recall there was a great run all the way down.

When we started, we had group lessons at our local dry slope, I 2nd what everyone is saying and get lessons before you go, even if you have lessons there as well (which I always done). If you learn the basics (and your 1st lesson includes as basic as putting on your boots and skis) then you won't waste your 1st day/more over there doing this.

Our jackets were 2nd hand from friends, and bought salopettes from Trespass as pretty cheap. Took far too many polo necks (which I would never wear now!) and all thermal stuff, when most times I've been a tshirt and jacket only, but def take some thermal basics as you never know, esp if you feel the cold.

When I 1st started, me and the other beginners in our group would have ski lesson in morn, meet the rest for lunch and then the experienced lot would take us within our limits (most of the time!!!) in the afternoon. If you are all beginners, then your instructor I'm sure will give you some tips on where you would be capable of skiing in afternoon.

A spare pair of gloves would be another recommendation, incase you lose a glove, will save you forking our for prices in shops there.

Also check whether you need a photo for your ski pass
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

If I recall there was a great run all the way down.

not for beginners, I think. Best take lift down.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry, pam_w, forgot about the T bars....funny how your mind wipes out things like T bars.

Blinking long drag on a T bar, as I recall. Especially on the top of a glacier. Still, I am not the most sensible person to ask because I never get cold.

You are also right about the run down to resort ...there is a green run down from what I remember but is quite narrow and gets very busy.

BTW I think that LDA is linking a blue run in with the green run to give you a half sensible descent from Diables (sic).

Dobby
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If it's not too cold on the glacier and you feel comfortable with skiing back then go for it. But as Pam says you might not want to ski the whole way back. The final green back is narrow and very busy towards the end of the day, and the other slope (Valentin) is a bit tricky for a beginner.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It takes a long time. I went with a friend with only a couple of weeks skiing and it took an age to get him down from 3400m to Les Cretes. He got a great sense of achievement out of it though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not only is it a long drag on the T-Bars, but it's a pain in the backside walk / skate to the T-Bars at the bottom of the glacier from the top of the gondola......

I would also recommend Charlotte Swift / easiski for lessons. She is a very good instructor, and will get the best out of you / your group (in the past I've found generic ski school instructors very "meh" when it comes to teaching - to them you are just another set of punters and they have no real sense of loyalty). From memory you don't need a photo for the lift pass in L2A. I would also encourage a learn to ski in a day course at a snowdome if you are able to. My other half found it invaluble a few years ago - she was able to hit the ground skiing (as opposed to running - see what I did there?) and didn't feel too left out with others in the group whe were a higher ability....

Clothing - Another vote for TK Maxx - reasonable quality clothing and reasonable prices. Make sure you get in there early though as all the 'normal' sized stuff goes quite quickly, leaving odd sized stuff (salopettes with 22" waists and 42" legs, jackets that are either XXXXXL or XXXXXXS etc). I recall they also do Bolle goggles for about £20 which should be fine for a first trip. Remember that the best way to keep warm when skiing is to layer up as opposed to one big heavy jumper / fleece etc and a jacket. Walking boots are a great idea as it's likely to be snowy in resort. Theres nothing worse than trying to negotiate ice and snow in trainers!

Ski equipment - As others have said - make sure the boots fit comfortably - they should be snug but not uncomfortable. Don't let the hire shop (who will be busy as there will have been an influx of new punters that day and they want to hurry everyone through) try to hurry you with it. Oh, and at the ski boot fitting, dont forget to wear your ski socks - otherwise you'll get a snuggly pair of boots that fit great in your day-to-day socks, but that are either too big or too small in your ski socks! My first ever trip I wore boots that were the wrong fit, and I was in excruciating pain after about 3 hours. My toenail hasn't been quite right since!

Most of all, make sure you enjoy yourself! If you're like anyone I've ever known who has started out skiing, you will hate the first 2 days, then all of a sudden it'll all click into place and you'l love it!
snow conditions
Colin B wrote:
It takes a long time. I went with a friend with only a couple of weeks skiing and it took an age to get him down from 3400m to Les Cretes. He got a great sense of achievement out of it though.

I have to say I don't think I'd have been comfortable with attempting to ski all the way back on my first week skiing!

As well as TK Maxx, Decathlon is a good shout for cheap gear too. If you have kids you'll probably confuse them with any other French kid skiing though (Decathlon kit is very popular!). We can date the age of all Decathlon one piece ski suits based on when we got the identical one for Jnr.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy