Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Auckland to Mt Ruapheu (Okahune) - Travel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going to be in New Zealand from Friday for 10 days (small thing called the Rugby World Cup) and am hopefully going to go to Mt Ruapehu to ski with some friends from Monday until Thursday.

Does anyone know of the best and/or most economical way to get there from Auckland?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Touchguru,
Outside of Auckland, pubic transport is very limited and the best way to travel to Mount Ruapehu is by hiring a car. I stayed with relatives in Auckland in August and we travelled in a hired minibus to Okahune which takes about 5 hours. Also note that New Zealand call them ski fields and not ski resorts, because there is no accommodation near the ski lifts. We stayed in a rented house in Okahune which was a 30 minute drive from the Turoa ski field.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I seem to remember that there are regular organised trips from Auckland to Turoa that included travel and accommodation certainly at weekends

I hope you are Welsh not English, otherwise a long way to go and not see your team play!!! wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you go to a Hostelling International youth hostel there will (may) be advertisements there (on bulletin boards and flyers) for weekend bus trips (all inclusive) for very reasonable prices.

I recall that I went on one when the world cup was on in the other hemisphere (from Auckland to Mt Ruapehu) and it was about £100 for two days skiing including bus transfer, lift pass, accommodation in bunk bed dorms, food, ski clothing and ski hire. That was at the weekend when the rugby was on.

I would guess that you will want the weekends free, so you will probably need to hire a car. I would suggest you could hire a campervan, as prices are very good in NZ for campervans. However, prices may be higher given the World cup is in NZ!

rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys

I am SA/English so not the best rugby results for me this time around Smile .... but I am quite happy to watch Aus vs NZ and Wales v France - should make for great games!

Accommodation is already sorted as I am meeting friends who have a place in Okahune and who are driving up from Wellington.

I am going back to Wellington with them on Thurdsday and then flying out on Saturday back to Auckland for the WC Final, so a hire car might not be the cheapest and best option unless I can drop it off in Okahune or Turoa?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Touchguru, Loads of cheap can rental places like these guys http://www.jucy.co.nz/?gclid=CN3Ex6K426sCFYIMfAodw2BZPg

Just rent a car, see if you can get some passengers to share fuel and drive. Its an easy drive from Auckland or go on http://snow.co.nz/forum/carpooling/ and post that you're looking for a lift.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Dot. Smile

Cheeky request, but is there any chance of getting on some Whitedot skis whilst I am out there to have a spin on?

As you know I haven't put bindings on my Redeemers and couldn't take them anyways as not enough space when I am only going for 3 days.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry mate, we've not got a NZ based demo fleet yet. That's waiting until I move home. Prob got some demo skis you can borrow if you take them but it's a long way to take demo skis for 3 days at Kune.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dot. wrote:
Sorry mate, we've not got a NZ based demo fleet yet. That's waiting until I move home. Prob got some demo skis you can borrow if you take them but it's a long way to take demo skis for 3 days at Kune.

All good mate. As you say, it is a bit far to take skis just for 3 days but thanks for the offer. Will just have to make do with whatever I can find in resort.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy