Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deux Alpes Aug 21/22/23

Poster: A snowHead
Charlotte - def looking at coming up Sunday night, unless weather forecasts for Mon/Tues are really bad! Staying two nights, will need a family room (x 3) plus possibly a twin if I can persuade Emily (now 17) and friend to get off their butts and stop being teenagers for a couple of days! (Doubt it though, currently getting up at midday in time for a swim before lunch, then disappearing in front of music channels and talking in a language that is completely foreign to me for the rest of the time)... (don't want half-board, just B&B)...

For two nights, what do you suggest hotel-wise near to the Jandri with a bit of comfort/luxury?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, You could try the Cote Brun, not tip top, but very nice and very handy for Jandri. Otherwise the Souleil'Or is a super 3* - bril food, nice bar and outdoor swimming pool (small). Usual, sauna, solarium etc. That's better to do half board though. (Food too good to miss). Don't know if they do B & B. Otherwise the nice ones are a bit away from the centre.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Souleil'Or sounds good but I never bother with half-board with two young kids, it's wasted on them. Found their site, can't see any prices though. If you're passing by, can you ask? Just myself and the two smaller kids family room, b&b), have given up on the teenage version, they can stay at home and do what teenagers do.

Have you had your lessons confirmed for Monday and Tuesday? Will definitely need the videoing done, preferably on the Tuesday if the forecast is ok. If you're not, perhaps Anne Millet is around?

Whilst on the subject of Anne she gave me a contact for accommodation near Brides Les Bains, which I've since lost. If you see her, would be grateful if you could ask her for a reminder of the name/address...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, I will check with the Souleil'Or later and let you know. I haven't seen Anne since the first week of the season. I have lessons 21/22/23/24, but it's only 2 hours per day - good skier etc. I can still manage videoing with you. Have arranged with Dave (who will be here) that you/I will video and he'll transfer to CD - hope that's all OK. I think I have Anne's mobile number somewhere - I know she'd like to see you and Hannah anyway, so I'll try to see whether she is around or not. She speaks about Hannah often!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, I was bidden to table at the Souleil d'Or in January. I can confirm that the food is superb. easiski, What about the Marmotte for B and B?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulmck, Closed in summer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG, Souleil'Or has space. Will do B & B - have PMd you with price and details. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, PG, Is this a PPSB or a private event .. when does L2A actually shut ? Just interested in the facts about decent skiing , as I can not afford the time to go further afield.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can't remember exactly, around the 2nd or 3rd of September I think?

No not private at all Very Happy ... but not a fun trip for me, just going to get some video clips of compulsory technical tests to show our all-knowing governing body that my daughter hasn't forgotten how to ski since she last did the same tests barely four months back rolling eyes ...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, There is FUN and then there is looking after The Offspring ! Jeez, these kids do go through some pretty rigorous stuff at a very early age.

Impressed. Different scenario but I can think of no sport in the UK where technical competence is so rigorously reviewed, I hear others suggest Martial Arts but that is actually part of the sport's structure.

Impressed .... do you get the shkes at your age or do you just employ an independent photographer Toofy Grin (ducking in case TB or another one of the "magnificent 7 dwarfs ' joins in. )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shakes? Only when I try to video real races! Very Happy On this occasion though I'm not too happy as I have to meet a deadline for getting the clips to Edinburgh (26th) which means not only do I have to get it edited professionally in 2 Alpes but I have to express post to the UK as well.

All because we opted out of the official training camp in Switzerland (Saas Fe), on professional advice (she'd just trained for a month on the Tignes glacier and had a week grass skiing, so we felt some real holiday in what's left of the summer break might be a good idea!!)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG wrote:
Shakes? Only when I try to video real races! Very Happy

A Father's perogative I might suggest ? Not being dumb but aren't we an hour ahead of everyone else? Still in the pub !

BTW - think you are getting some 'poor' weather tonight/tomorrow..
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eEvans wrote:
Different scenario but I can think of no sport in the UK where technical competence is so rigorously reviewed....

Two of my children swim competitively and the technical judging in galas is uncompromising. For the first few galas they were constantly getting disqualified for moving on the blocks, subtle discrepancies in strokes, turns, two handed touches etc.. Sad
BUT
sure makes them learn quickly and they understand a very technical sport at a young age (and no more DQs) Very Happy

Mind you I would find the hours they spend in the water incredibly tedious rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's been strange here in Vaison today - a few drops of rain, but very hot, clear skies tonight . We knew the change was on the way when the scorpions started to emerge! Shocked

My excuse for being up at this hour was a extra long siesta this afternoon, can't sleep now!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hywel, different purpose for the technical tests for the British ski team - they try to evaluate skill levels alongside race results to get a better idea of potential, to see how they cope in powder, bumps, etc. Otherwise in the end they're not that bothered how you look, as long as it works and you win.

True with respect to martial arts - not just in judo for the awarding of belts, but in competition scrutiny of illegal holds, passivity etc starts at the earliest age.
snow report
PG,
I wonder if your dedication to your daughter's sport is always appreciated?

I'm fortunate with regards to my swimmers as my wife is a swimming coach who loves all the technical aspects of the sport and would probably be a swimHead if it existed! This means that I just have to roll up to the odd race now and again to show that I'm interested Very Happy

Now, if only one of the children was an Alpine downhill racer...... Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Hywel, There is hope. I was in competitive swimmer (GB international) and am totally converted to the white stuff albeit later in life. I never got to ski as a teenager and missed out on the school trip because of my arduous training routine. I can also say that the dedication my father showed me throughout my swim career was always fully appreciated and still is today. I just don't envy you the early mornings though.
Just make sure that they learn to ski as well as swim....... Little Angel
snow conditions
Hywel wrote:
PG,
I wonder if your dedication to your daughter's sport is always appreciated?

I'm fortunate with regards to my swimmers as my wife is a swimming coach who loves all the technical aspects of the sport and would probably be a swimHead if it existed! This means that I just have to roll up to the odd race now and again to show that I'm interested Very Happy

Now, if only one of the children was an Alpine downhill racer...... Very Happy Very Happy

Spot on, not always wink Smile ... but I spend most of my time organising the racing for other kids, not my own, so it's not so bad. I keep out of her way most of the time. On the other hand, the occasional clash with administrators - who can give the impression of considering themselves beyond criticism at times - does happen though wink
snow conditions
Mouth wrote:
Hywel, There is hope. I was in competitive swimmer (GB international) and am totally converted to the white stuff albeit later in life. I never got to ski as a teenager and missed out on the school trip because of my arduous training routine. I can also say that the dedication my father showed me throughout my swim career was always fully appreciated and still is today. I just don't envy you the early mornings though.
Just make sure that they learn to ski as well as swim....... Little Angel

No problems there, they all ski already, albeit recreationally - and I do take every oppurtunity to indoctrinate them to nurture an obsession for the white stuff wink

PG Are you competitive dad when watching yours racing, shouting yourself hoarse, or are you a 'swan' like me - graceful on the surface, but everything going like the clappers beneath?
ski holidays
Definitely the latter! But I only go to about one in two events these days. I find judo competitions even more stressful - some of the parents there shout and scream instructions to their kids, drives me mental. I end up about as shattered after a competition as the kids themselves, having done all the throws myself while pacing up and down in the background, watching out of the corner of my eye. Very Happy
snow report
Charlotte, bit worried about the weather, seen any forecasts for Monday/Tuesday??
ski holidays
PG, sun = snow; Mon = light snow; Shocked Tues = sunny & warmer. Very Happy
snow report
Sounds good - if they've got it right! ... because south Isère is right on the edge of the front with torrential rain/snow forecast from Monday to Wednesday from just a few miles further north Confused
ski holidays
Well settled in to the Souleil'Or, excellent accommodation, very good meal... impressed.
snow report
PG, and the weather?
snow report
Mouth, No ski-ing today! PG, Hannah and I were up with the birds, but the wind on top and a build-up of ice on the cables etc mean it's closed all day -bah!!! Sad However, looking forward to a better day tomorrow. There's 10 cms of fresh up there from last night and it's still raining down here. Very Happy
ski holidays
See my post on Snow Reports. PG ski-ing better than I've ever seen him before - even Hannah was impressed! Shocked Hannah ski-ing - well - like Hannah, and we had a pretty good time. Actually bl**dy marvellous! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski, just to say a belated, big thank you! It went well, your help was invaluable, the CD with the video sequences arrived in Edinburgh in plenty of time.

All we could have asked for was no wind during and after all that snow Very Happy

The performance director wrote that conditions looked tricky, but that the selectors could see plenty from the video... and last night we had confirmation that Hannah has been selected for the team, so the exercises must have been the right ones! Great news, because she's in the younger year of the two year category and there are some really good girls in the older year.

Thanks again.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, I'm very glad to hear that it worked - congrats to Hannah on being selected. I'm pleased that we held out for the better demos now!! If they thought the c0onditions looked trickly - excellent. Very Happy Very Happy I could only go (apart from the paper) on what I would have been looking for - so - hey. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy