Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossignol Experience 83 or 88 skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I can't decide whether I should go for the Rossignol Experience 83 or 88 skis.

I would class myself as a confident, progressing Intermediate/Advanced Intermediate. I've only been skiing for the last 4 years but have managed 6 weeks on the slopes in the past 2 years. Mainly a piste skier (I'll happily ski anything - reds/blacks on Grands Montets are where I spent most time last season). I do aspire to go more off piste. In fact I've done a week's off piste course and plan to do another this winter. Speed wise - I'm not going to break any records but when I'm out with a group of intermediates I tend to be up front with the guide.

I rented a set of Rossi Bandits last year and really enjoyed them + the reviews for the new range seem pretty much 100% positive. They also seem to be great 50/50 all mountain skis - which is what I'm after.

The 83s look prefect for on piste, easy turn initiation, slow/medium speeds and apparently perform well on un-groomed snow and off piste. At faster speeds they're not going to be as stable as the 88s. They will also probably be right on the money for my current skiing ability but will I outgrow them sooner and wish I'd gone for the 88s?

The 88s are going to perform better at higher speeds and interestingly with their tip rocker and extended sidecut are also apparently very manoeuvrable at slower speeds. I guess they should also perform better in the deeper stuff. Some reviews are pitching these skis at advanced intermediates to advanced/expert skiers while others are saying these are suited to Advanced/Experts. So my main concern is are these skis going to be a bit beyond me? I'm really starting to develop my carving on piste, especially when skiing shorter, tighter turns on steeper terrain so I want to make sure I buy skis that will help with and not hinder this progression.

I'd like some reassurance that the 88s are going to work for me but equally I'm all ears if people think otherwise.

By the way I'm 5'10'' and 180lbs

Of course if anyone wants to recommend another ski altogether please feel free. Myself I've also been looking at Scott Missions and the new Nordica Steadfasts.

thanks

Mike
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike - I tried out the 88's recently in a Snowdome and really liked them. I would guess that I am somewhwere around advanced intermediate and have been looking for something with a bit more beef and float than my Missions. The 88's carve much better than the Missions and also seem much more smooth and solid at higher speeds and uneven snow. The rocker and softer tip makes them really easy to manoeuvre yet they really lock into a carve.

Don't know about the 83's but I'd pick the 88's over the Missions now and don't think they will be beyond you at all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wish I could test a pair (but living on an island means a trip to a snowdome would cost almost as much as the skis!) so it's good to hear about your experience on the 88s. I think I'm one step closer to making up my mind.

Mike
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am on my second set of bandit B83. Can't fault them, its a great off piste ski and good on piste, I do use something a bit bigger for BIG days but they are maybe 4-6 a season. They are great for everything, but I like their nimbleness when things get a bit rough, in trees of rocks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi MikeBonsall, I think you should stick with the 83. Your self analysis is unusually (and refreshingly!) self aware for an advancing skier but your comment about carving is crucial. I get the impression that you want to improve your all-round skiing ability (which includes short turns/bumps/ice/steeps as well as carving) and for that you will find a narrower, slightly softer ski much more forgiving and helpful to develop those skills. I see the 83 as the spiritual successor to the Bandit B2 which was a great all round ski and was the ski I passed my BASI L2 on.

Off-piste is often the only talked about thing on ski forums (because it's cool rolling eyes ) but frankly if you have a high set of on piste skills, off piste is easy. Learn the on piste skills first and you will be a truly competent and versatile skier, on or off piste.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Raceplate, I think you've summed me up just about right. I guess it was the fact that the 88s (whilst wider and stiffer than the 83s) are still apparently very nimble and easy to turn at slow speeds, due to the autoturn/tip rocker etc, that was still tempting me towards them.

I will have to give this more thought. It's hard to argue against your logic Smile

Mike
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A word of caution for anyone buying these skis. I've had pairs of brand new 83 & 88's in the shop today & both had heavily concave bases down the full length of ski - far too much to be corrected by a grind. Pretty shoddy manufacture/quality control from Rossignol rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
A word of caution for anyone buying these skis. I've had pairs of brand new 83 & 88's in the shop today & both had heavily concave bases down the full length of ski - far too much to be corrected by a grind. Pretty shoddy manufacture/quality control from Rossignol rolling eyes

Do you know if this has been sorted by Rossignol?. I rather fancied a pair of 83's
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dunno. Just check the bases are flat before you buy 'em. Not sure how much they cost but hopefully it's not much as they've got a low end lightweight core. There's better out there IMO.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderjon .... such as?

I hired the Rossi 83 Experience earlier this year after my mate swore that they would go through anything. I found them to be incredibly forgiving and flattering, which is what most of us want.

I thought they fitted the bill for a 2 week a year intermediate with a 80%/20% on piste off piste split, but I am open to suggestion for a better ski.

My current skis are Dynastar Contact 10's.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
not seen any problems with the concave bases that spyderjon mentions (maybe it was a bad batch from early production, but none of the test product we had in Khutai had that issue), tested both versions or the past 2 years, the 88 was the ski i took to banff for 10 days last season, based on the description i would agree that the 83 is a more suitable ski, especially if you are skiing it in the lengths you should be using
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy