Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the one single thing that has most improved your skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Pedantica, 'A' frame and block and tackle. Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderman, well, I do comfort myself with the thought that, so long as I'm not the back marker, it's not usually too difficult for someone to haul me up, being as wot I'm a midget. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pedantica, don't you just disappear under the snow so Tailend Charlie simply zips past you...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, this has been known, but on each occasion, I've left a pair of skis neatly parked on the snow as a clue. Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buying my own skis. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I'm still waiting for the "one single thing" that'll be a breakthrough moment, but several of these have struck a chord, particularly this.

admin wrote:
"But zer is more zan one way to turn ze skis".
Every single instructor until then had told me, "You do it like this" rather than "You can do it like this".
"More than one way to turn skis" well who'd have though it? Seems obvious now but it blew me away at the time!

The moment when I realised that the instructors weren't contradicting each other but that I was simply getting different advice for different conditions/terrain etc. a lightbulb definitely went on.
If I ever get to the point of remembering which techniques to use in which conditions I'm laughing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pedantica wrote:
rob@rar, this has been known, but on each occasion, I've left a pair of skis neatly parked on the snow as a clue. Laughing
A wise plan.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, yep, at least you tend not to lose your skis on a neat double-eject face plant. Toofy Grin (It's happened to me twice, once when my skis encountered something unexpected under the surface in off-piste powder, and once when a snowboarder pushed me into the 'rough' at the edge of a piste. You can imagine my language.)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica wrote:
You can imagine my language
I tremble at the very thought of it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Laughing Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
"what is the one single thing that has most improved your skiing?"

Macro: Doing a season - 4 moths of learning.

Micro: Falling is good - realising what happens when...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Recently - Training with a Croatian national coach.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Trying to wipe out over the front of my skis (getting out of the back seat).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Double action (stab/punch) pole plant to keep your hands up and forward. Becomes a single action pole plant after a while.

Stops you dropping your inside arm and helps you stand tall (centred!) in all forms of skiing, including off-piste and bumps. Everything else drops into place automatically if you're balanced. The difference between BASI L1 and L2.

If someone can give me a one action fix for the difference between BASI L2 and L3 I'd be grateful wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Changing to very tight fitting boots with a soft flex and custom footbeds, after which I could ski bumpy pistes in virtually the same way and same speed as perfectly groomed slopes.
snow report
"you have been identified as being at risk of redundancy"
ski holidays
Single most? For what?

1) Going from beginner to intermediate: A pair of boot that fits.

2) Realizing "it's not that you don't know how to ski bumps. It's you don't know how to ski and the bumps tell you!"

3) Hunting down good instructors and get lessons to learn how to PROPERLY ski. Then head over to bigger and bigger bumps to test myself.

4) Found out there's more to boots than just fitting without hurting. Getting a better alignment makes a world of difference.

So you see, it goes in circles. Boot -> lesson/bump test -> more precise boot work -> more lesson and getting tested in bumps.
snow report
limiting the amount of jaeger bombs challenges at apres ski seemed to help me.
taught the kids on blades with a rugby ball and just played around til it all became natural.
then muck about on short carvers falling over jumps etc,
so i believe having fun is the single most important thing to improve.
if it gets a bit more serious then it is the mindset and a bit of core stability thrown in which will enable you to relax your legs and shoulders and let your proper applied technique work.
remember if it becomes all too serious your missing the point.
latest report
Realising that turning is a lot easier if you're moving at somewhat faster than walking pace and (connected) that going somewhat faster than walking pace isn't actually going to kill me, all thanks to a little thunderstorm while having a lesson on the glacier in Les Deux Alpes.

Or getting boots fitted by CEM so I could actually feel my feet while skiing...

Or the time the instructor put my hips in the right position for sideslipping...

But the last 2 wouldn't have happened but for the first one...
ski holidays
The 6th January 1989... my 6th day ever on skis and winning the end of (first) week ski school race in Saalback Hinteglemm (as a kid). I was always Jo average at school sport wise. From that moment (seriously) onwards dreaming of becoming my new hero - my first instructor at the dry slope at Gloucester (name withheld - but I have told her who she is since then) who had given me such a GREAT few first lessons before that trip to Saalbach.

It was an important moment that 'most improved my skiing' as all I wanted to do was get lessons, keep learning, keep practicing and keep getting lessons as for me at the time instructors were / are inspirational... now I try and pass on that same passion to whoever I teach. So it opened the door to many many many onwards moments of inspiration.
snow report
Raceplate wrote:
Double action (stab/punch) pole plant to keep your hands up and forward. Becomes a single action pole plant after a while.

Stops you dropping your inside arm and helps you stand tall (centred!) in all forms of skiing, including off-piste and bumps. Everything else drops into place automatically if you're balanced. The difference between BASI L1 and L2.

If someone can give me a one action fix for the difference between BASI L2 and L3 I'd be grateful wink

This sounds good for someone like me who waves their arms like they're doing semaphore, any chance of elaborating further?
latest report
betterinblack wrote:
This sounds good for someone like me who waves their arms like they're doing semaphore, any chance of elaborating further?
Normally when we pole plant we tap/hit the snow with our pole just once. A double tap pole plant is just that: hit the snow with the pole twice, rather than once, in very close succession. Sort of tap-tap, rather than tap-flail-tap. It's good discipline for pole plant hand/arm movement.

Once you've mastered that there are a bunch of different pole plant drills to really mess with your mind...
ski holidays
[quote="rob@rar"]
betterinblack wrote:

Once you've mastered that there are a bunch of different pole plant drills to really mess with your mind...

Single; double; Norwegian being one; on one ski for the show-offs!
latest report
scooby_simon, yes those are the ones, especially when you use them all at the same time (did you do that with Ross?). I've also been using late plant/early plant/on-time plant to work on timing.
snow conditions
Nnggghhhh
Why do so many of these drills feel like rubbing one's tummy and patting one's head at the same time? And I'm rubbish at that too. Twisted Evil
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
scooby_simon, yes those are the ones, especially when you use them all at the same time (did you do that with Ross?). I've also been using late plant/early plant/on-time plant to work on timing.

yes; did it with Ross and JJC_James on the ADC1; also did late/early/on-time as well...

At some point I plan to ski down backwards and juggle.... Not sure Pete would let me on the snow with my torches so it will have to be balls!
ski holidays
scooby_simon, did you do ross's favourite pole plant drill "jakeys" i nicked that one and use it from time to time. really emphasizes why a good pole plant and posture helps your skiing

i have finally managed to juggle and am hoping to be able to ski the lesson slope while juggling, syncro ski juggling would be most cool.. wink
ski holidays
I can juggle 3 balls, never thought of skiing at the same time though!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

ross's favourite pole plant drill "jakeys" i nicked that one and use it from time to time. really emphasizes why a good pole plant and posture helps your skiing

any video of that one?
snow conditions
Pole planting drill courtesy of Andy Jerram...

Imagine an ugly dwarf.

Stab 'em in the toe. Push 'em in the face...
snow conditions
skimottaret, kitenski,

Hemel Juggling meet up? (still learning to do 4) maybe I'll bring all the toys:

Various thuds
clubs
Rings
Torches (might need some new paraffin)
Also got a couple of Diablo's somewhere too.

Might have to go and practice, also want to juggle ski boots at some point (small ones....)

skimottaret, what is "jakeys" ?
snow report
How much are the tickets? Toofy Grin
snow report
Hmmm, if kit upgrades are allowed, moving from rubbervwellies (much blood) to leather lace ups.

Am i showing my age?
latest report
Pedantica, i am still learning how to do 3 and will bring some juggling balls to Tignes you can watch for free !

scooby_simon, I set a summer challenge for the junior racers I coach and this year was juggling. i still cant do it on dry land so the on ski show will have to wait a while , deep respect for 4 balls juggling !

jakeys are a top secret drill that will revolutionise your skiing wink actually just a bit of fun that doesnt do much for your skiing other than showing you why you shouldn't do a common fault
ski holidays
Talking to myself whilst skiing.

Yes it did help dot, shut up dot and concentrate on what you're doing!! Dot I told you the beer will still be there if you don't make happy hour. Oh.....she's hot!.....must remember to pay the water bill...................................................................................mind that tree dot.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
jakeys are a top secret drill that will revolutionise your skiing wink actually just a bit of fun that doesnt do much for your skiing other than showing you why you shouldn't do a common fault
And they're great for making you look like an idiot.
snow report
Skiing more.
snow report
Understanding that if you don't fall over, then you're not pushing yourself hard enough. I had spent literally years cruising around, and hadn't fallen over in about 6 weeks of skiing. Then I decided to keep pushing until I did fall over, and suddenly discovered a range of movement, and level of confidence, that never existed before. I had actually not fallen over for so long I thought I would hurt myself if I did. I didn't. That was the lighbulb.

Second has to be some of the advice from here about burning thighs - changed skiing completely for me from hard work for a few hours and not being able to keep up with others (assuming that they were either oblivious to the pain or just superhuman) when in fact they were just doing it differently. All I had to do was stick my hands forward and put my shins into the front of my boots a bit. Suddenly I could ski from 9am to 5pm. That took 2 days to fix, but once fixed I will never go back now. It also turned my skidded, chilled, lack of edge, lack of control skiing into sharp turns and carving on most pistes, unintended but that happened at the same time. I felt like a racer, suddenly able to just lean and there it was.
latest report
scooby_simon wrote:
skimottaret, kitenski,

Hemel Juggling meet up? (still learning to do 4) maybe I'll bring all the toys:

Various thuds
clubs
Rings
Torches (might need some new paraffin)
Also got a couple of Diablo's somewhere too.

Might have to go and practice, also want to juggle ski boots at some point (small ones....)

skimottaret, what is "jakeys" ?

Yey to the juggling meet. My juggling is better than my skiing though. I can do a few tricks with three balls, solid with 4 and can last about 30 seconds with 5 (using the cheaty 5 ball splits pattern).

Never tried it skiing though.
snow report
Crikey, these hidden talents!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy