Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the one single thing that has most improved your skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Another SHs juggler here. Just recently got the standard 4 ball pattern. But really want to get 5 balls down. The jump from 3 to 4 wasn't to bad but apparently the jump from 4 to 5 in difficulty is huge - so it could take awhile.

EDIT: and the other thing which could be quite good for skiing is learning to juggle a football.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spud9 wrote:
scooby_simon wrote:
skimottaret, kitenski,

Hemel Juggling meet up? (still learning to do 4) maybe I'll bring all the toys:

Various thuds
clubs
Rings
Torches (might need some new paraffin)
Also got a couple of Diablo's somewhere too.

Might have to go and practice, also want to juggle ski boots at some point (small ones....)

skimottaret, what is "jakeys" ?

Yey to the juggling meet. My juggling is better than my skiing though. I can do a few tricks with three balls, solid with 4 and can last about 30 seconds with 5 (using the cheaty 5 ball splits pattern).

Never tried it skiing though.

:notworthy:

I cannot (yet) do 4; got close to some sort of skill about 20 years ago; but never really "got it". Used to be able to do Mills Mess with 3; and have a stab at it now and then. used to be able to do clubs and torces but woefully out of practice. Maybe some practice required during my breaks at Hemel this winter Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi guys, first post here I believe (unless I've posted once before and not remembered!)

I have one single thing. Three of them, to be precise.

- Getting my posture sorted out. Going from "carrying the shopping bags" to actually putting my weight where it was supposed to go.

- Early pressure change from one turn to the next.

- Pushing my inside knee closer to the ground when carving for some extra grippyness.

BASI L1 for me next week. Excited/terrified at the same time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
frenchst, Good luck with your BASI 1
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First time when me and a couple of friends was hire a guide in Chamonix, 1979, the name of the guide, Sylvain Sudan,,
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
freeheelskier, How cool is that?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scooby_simon, I used to think I was good with Mills Mess, but then realised I was doing it wrong (under,over,under:under,over,under instead of over,under,over:over,under,over).

Hooray for thread drift. snowHead

frenchst, Are you doing the BASI 1 at Hemel? If so, I'll see you there as I'm on the course as well. Agree about the excited/terrified thing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
freeheelskier, Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to snowHeads frenchst.

Good luck to both you and Spud9.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DRINK Big Wink ! and spending more than one week a year on the slopes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spud9,
Quote:

under,over,under:under,over,under instead of over,under,over:over,under,over
I don't juggle...but I know what you mean. wink

frenchst, welcome to snowHeads and best of luck next week!

bfg, agreed on both counts. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiing as much as possible without poles - I have an 8 year old student who doesn't yet use poles but skis pretty much anything groomed, and a lot of the ungroomed blue stuff so when I teach him I don't take poles.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Understanding how your posture transfers weight across the entire length of the ski. I was told to draw a stickman of a skiing position and explain why this works. Understanding why you are doing what you do makes the practical bit more effective!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Vodka mit feiga Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1) being fitter by biking (although you might not guess it to look at me)

2) if we talk about skiing as a pure subjective experience, understanding that whilst the technical stuff is important, you have to move beyond that. Let's all remember it's fun. Wink
ski holidays
snowbandit, yum. But not sure it improved my skiing. Smile
latest report
kevindonkleywood wrote:
frenchst, Good luck with your BASI 1

Indeed; I am over for a staff meeting on Tuesday; might put the cloggs and planks on and go for a slide too.
snow report
Thanks all for the good wishes and the very warm welcome to the forum. An absolute credit to the community here!

Spud9, I'm not doing it at Hemel I'm afraid; I'm doing it in Scotland SnoZone. Shame - it'd have been nice to (kinda) know someone else doing the same course!
snow conditions
frenchst wrote:
Thanks all for the good wishes and the very warm welcome to the forum. An absolute credit to the community here!

Spud9, I'm not doing it at Hemel I'm afraid; I'm doing it in Scotland SnoZone. Shame - it'd have been nice to (kinda) know someone else doing the same course!

Which course are you? There are back to back L1s on 22nd or 31st.
latest report
skison wrote:
frenchst wrote:

Which course are you? There are back to back L1s on 22nd or 31st.

Starting the 22nd.

Was doing a bit of practice today. Had a crisis of carving confidence. Laughing Keep wigging my inside foot about a bit. Had to talk myself into getting rid of the pressure in it. Great start to the week of skiing!
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, ...yep...that should do it.

As I've mentioned on here before (yawn from all readers) skiing with my four year old had a HUGE impact on my skiing - very much for the better. Matching his turns, with him on 4.5m radius skis and me on 12m slalom skis was excellent discipline - required perfect balance to ski VERY SLOWLY and to follow his tracks exactly. Do that for a season and I assure you it is a great experience.
snow report
The biggest thing i have done to improve my skiing is to be brutally honest about my skiing ability.This includes,Experience gained over the years offset by my present level of fitness or lack of coupled with length of time since i last skied and weight piled on.

My nostalgic 'Rose Tinted' Ability is of the skier i was 25 years ago as the one who was always hard on the heels of the TO Ski Rep everywhere he took us on his guided ski tour of the Pistes. Madeye-Smiley

My real present ability is that of an ageing Intermediate with dodgy ankles and knees whose leg muscles start to burn going up a flight of stairs. Embarassed

So i will stay within my real limits of ability regarding speed and piste severity/condition,wear a helmet and hopefully all will be well.

Most importantly i just want to enjoy it instead of applying an intensity to my skiing that would not look out of place tackling an army assault coarse as i used to do back in the day...

I might find that i actually make better progress in my skiing ability now that i can see the wood for the trees.

Nowadays, Going on a skiing holiday is for pleasure and not an Olympic Race training course and i'm happy with that.
ski holidays
I don't know if resurrecting an old thread is taboo, but: for me reading "Breakthrough on the New Skis" made a huge difference.
ski holidays
Going on a Snoworks course. It made me appreciate that there are different ways to ski depending on the slope/snow. Seems obvious now! Emma Carrick-Anderson is an awesome teacher.

Also having lessons with Easiski (who used to come on here, but who I think got pissed off with a few trolls and left), who is also an awesome teacher.
latest report
Doing 9 seasons.
snow conditions
skir67,

That's 9 things.
ski holidays
Doing the first season.

But that's many things too... Twisted Evil
snow report
A spine operation
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cynic wrote:
A spine operation

did you have one installed? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Dating a ski instructor:)
latest report
Investing in a lift pass and hiring skis rather than borrowing those ones where the edges had become unscrewed.

Having skis with edges on was a big help.
snow conditions
As Bode Swiller says get the pelvis right and your there!
latest report
snowHeads snowHead
snow report
Mosha Marc, +1
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, +2 I literally wouldn't be skiing without SH's - it goes that far.
snow conditions
An Injury.

My yoot was spent hammering around at maximum speed a 'technique is for wimps' attitude. But the a knee injury in my 30's - as well as ending my pro cricket career - made me realise that only by gaining some sort of technical competence could I hope to avoid falling over and so aggravating the knee.
snow conditions
Getting semi-fat skis after my Bandits suddenly improved my off-piste ability. Then getting skis with a carving profile got rid of my skid (I've never had carving lessons - I had partly carved for many years and the skis sort of taught me the rest).
snow conditions
Macro: Getting back quickly on the skis after my first serious fall (Christmas Day 1976; 2 weeks of plaster on my right leg, back on skis the third weekend of January).

Micro: Realising that no matter how much weight you put forward you aren't going to fall any faster or capsize. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy