Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl/Soelden Questions?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I are toying with the idea of returning to Austria. We'd be coming from the States. We've been to Lech and loved it. Saalbach and liked it but preferred Lech. And that's it for Europe. A friend suggested Obergurgl. Is there a convenient bus between Obergurgl and Soelden? I think it might be fun to ski both, though I think we'd prefer to stay in Obergurgl. Any thoughts on Lech versus Obergurgl? Any lodging recommendations that would be close to lifts and slopes. I think we'd prefer being closer to the center of Obergurgl than Hochgurgl. Thanks much!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not familiar enough with Lech to compare it with Obergurgl but there's a regular public bus service between Obergurgl and Soelden. When you buy an Obergurgl lift pass, there's an option of a day in Soelden for an extra 10 Euros. The Edelweiss and Gurgl hotel is next to both the Rosskar chair and the new Hohe Mut bahn gondola, you exit the boot room and get straight onto either of these lifts. If E and G is full you could consider the neighbouring Jennewein or the Josl, they're all very nice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As above thte regular bus service is easy between Obergurgl and Soelden. Obergurgl/Hochgurgl is not as big as Lech/Zurs and not too demanding but sufficient for one week. If you include Soelden then the area is much larger. Soelden has two glaciers and IIRC three peaks above 3000m, with Obergurgl also being the highest parish in Austria at almost 2000m, so no worries about snow generally. I'd probably argue the skiing in Obergrugl isn't too dissinilar from that of Lech. Most of the hotels are 4 star, whcih gives you a feel of the resort but not as busy. As well as the option of the E & G above, have a look at the Alpina (stayed there a couple times) which is great and is also ski in and out. Stay on Obergurgl rather than Hochgurgl IMO.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What sort of skiing and apres are you after?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd call us strong intermediates. Steeps are not much of an issue. We try to play in some crud, small bumps, and powder. But I suck in big bumps. And I have no interest in big icy bumps. We actually enjoy playing in relatively easy off piste. We mostly ski all day, have a few drinks (definitely some glue wein if in Austria) after skiing, but we're not interested in late night dancing or partying. We more into the have a few drinks, have a nice dinner, maybe go for a stroll down a pretty street, and do it again tomorrow. So we don't need a late night party atmosphere. I'd say our ideal apres ski is to find some fun folks for a few beers after skiing. Since our European experience is limited we also put a premium on alpine charm. We thought Lech was really magical. The Dolomites also look like somewhere we really need to visit at some point.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RISkier, Sounds like Obergurgl is right up your street. Pop into the Nederhutte on the way down from skiing for a few drinks and then back to your hotel for dinner.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for Obergurgl and the Nederhutte.
We had fun skiing around the trees on far right of piste map (near Davids Hut)
And we took the bus to Soelden, easy for a good day out, quite a contrast.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy