Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich airport to Kitzbuehel drive

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am driving from Munich airport to Kitzbuehel on a Saturday afternoon in January doing the return also on a Sat afternoon.
I intend using A92, A99, A8, A93 to Worgl, then the 170 to Kitzbuehel. Estimate 2-3 of hours. Can anybody advise on possible bottlenecks, etc. or a better (quicker) route?
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's about as good as you'll get. Be aware that if you drive to Wörgl you need the Austrian Motorway Vignette.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidthornton, personally I'd get off the A12 at Kufstein, follow signs for St Johann and then Kitzbuhel.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, For 7.10 Euro you can avoid the snail crawl up from Kufstein and be in resort much faster by driving on to Woergl and going up via Kirchberg. on really busy weekends it can spare you loads of time inching your way past the Ski Welt resorts and St. Johann in Tirol. And it works both ways, especially if you are trying to get back to the airport on a strict timetable. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, I dunno, sometimes I think you'd suggest an alternative route even if I had my own private as-the-crow-flies motorway. And I'm not trying to save 7 Euro. My way is shorter (and in 3 decades of doing it I can't recall ever being badly held up), your way might allow for faster driving - net result = I'm none too bothered.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller, I've caught on Saturdays in the traffic going from Kufstein more times than I care to admit. The Germans hate paying for the vignette and all come off at Kufstein. The police sometimes close the exit road at Kufstein south for short periods because it is dangerous. But then I hear and/or see the carnage every Saturday, so what do I know!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, maybe the carnage just follows you around. You think still carnage Saturday afternoon?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Davidthornton, watch out for the Austrian speed cops who hide behind trees. Ive been done twice recently for what seemed a normal speed for the conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, I shop in Kufstein most weekends - it is my nearest big town.

In the morning you have all the day trippers coming out of Bavaria, particularly my neck of the woods. If you are not on the B173 by 07.30 you can write off your day ticket. By 11:00am the over-nighters from the north arrive and the A93 usually starts backing up at the border. The time to hit this road is any time AFTER 18.00, better still 20.00.

However, going the few kilometres more to Wörgl means you beat all the Germans, etc with a grudge about buying a 10-day vignette for the cost of less than a Maß (litre pot of beer); you have far less traffic on the section beyond Kufstein-Süd and the B170 goes directly to Kitzbühel via Westerndorf, Brixen and Kirchberg.

for my day trip to Kitz I now always use this route and do not have to get up so early to beat the traffic. It was a Kitzbüheler who gave me the tip as I was queing, yet again, to exit the Fleckalmbahn car park to go through Kitz to get home. There was no queue to exit left to Kirchberg.

pjd, the speed limit changes umpteen times along the B178/B173 and the Austrian police know that people get frustrated and try to beat the limit. They also target cars with German number plates, the same way the Bavarian police target Austrian ones.

BTW I pay up front for a year's vignette and am quids in before the season is even halfway through. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SamerbergSue, at least the speeding fine was low -30 euros each time. Just a pain though. Maybe the Austrian police should sell a sort of speeding vignette at the border too so people don't have to scrabble about for notes each time
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everybody, very useful advice offered up. I hate crawlin'/queue'n traffic, having spent most of my working life on U.K. roads mon-fri. I think I'll stick with the "Worgl" route with an eye to the speedo. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pjd, I got done for 15 Euro for being 7kmh over the limit the boogers! I forgot to pay it and ended up "fining"myself as the final sum came to 85+ Euro. Sometimes the pay on site system is less painful! Embarassed

But ALWAYS make sure you get a receipt - it is not unknown for the fine to go directly into the officers' pockets (several cases taken to court about this as well as people pretending to be traffic cops!) Evil or Very Mad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy