Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads,

I've already posted something similar on this Forum re our plans for a 1 month trip to a European resort in March 2012.

We have explored some European options but given our love of Whistler we thought we'd give it a go as a potential option (even though flight costs etc may make it a bit prohibitive vs driving to France etc).

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children (4 years / 2 years).

Does anyone have any recommendations re

- sourcing accomodation (have already made some enquiries with a couple of letting agencies)
- location (resort vs Squamish)
- childcare facilities for our little one
- food shopping (is there a nearby supermarket outside Whistler?) / living costs.

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd have thought you'll lose the will to live if you're commuting from Squamish every day plus that definitely locks you into a rental car for the duration. Pemberton I guess may be more possible. I'd look at the further subdivisions e.g. Alpine/Emerald as most affordable but there would be a big lifestyle benefit if you could get something around Creekside.

Lots of locals (with cars) seem to do their big shops in Squamish at Walmart etc then top up at Nesters/IGA.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AlluraDirect are the biggest independent agency for Whistler, you can search by price and location of property so worth a look I'd say.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
2nd Allura.

Pemberton is just as bad if not worse than Squamish - hopefully the road will be covered in snow all winter again. Fine for normal travel but expect the drive to take an hour when it's snowing. At least driving down to Squamish the weather *tends* to become less wintery. I think with two young kids you need to be in a central location otherwise your days are going to be pretty divided.

No kids so can't help.

True what fatbob says about food.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always use AlluraDirect.

Squamish supermarkets are certainly cheaper than in Whistler, and in March I wouldn't expect the road to be too bad, but it's certainly more convenient to stay centrally: My guess is that once you'd factored in the car rental costs, Squamish wouldn't be significantly cheaper. We find the air fare the most expensive part of of our budget.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For a longer stay, if you email AlluraDirect rather than just searching online, they will then forward your criteria directly to owners and you may well get a far better price - this is what I've done for long stays in the past.

2nd/3rd/4th/whatever not staying in Squamish - note the barrier on the highway just after leaving Squamish on the way to Whistler. They use to close the road in bad conditions (or possibly just to keep everyone else out on a powder day! wink). Would be rather disappointing to come all this way, have a great snowstorm and not be able to go and ski it!
It's not a great fun drive either when it's dark and snowy/rainy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 6-10-11 5:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are slope side or Ski-In/Ski-Out accommodations in Whistler access to slopes is only 50 meters away from your front door. If you want to hit the town you can jump on the complimentary village shuttle.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone - Allura have been great so far, really hopeful we'll be able to book something in Whistler. Have a great season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would check out and compare the TourOperators too as they often have deals. You can get hotel suites which have a kitchen/diner/lounge which would suit your group.

If you are in the village you will not need or want a car so just get a transfer from the airport.

Agree that Allura seem to be the best for local hire but would recommend getting a place in the village if you can afford it as it will save a load of transport messing about.

If you are doing everything yourself you can get things through Allura but be aware there a discounts on lift tickets and ski hire that run out end of November. We use Summit for hire which then also let you leave the skis there (right by the kid pickup and lifts) so no carrying. Walk up in normal boots and change into the ski boots right by the lift.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whistler "Early Bird" discounts are available until 15th November.......but a couple of years ago they extended the deadline because they weren't getting enough people taking them up (Olympic effect plus credit crunch).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
...and for a month you should look at the cost of a season pass either a full season or I think they may still do 15 day one, which gives you any 15 days plus the other days at edge card rates (which are cheaper than any ticket rates).
When I last worked it out, if you get an early bird one, about 3 weeks was the break even point, as you also get discounts on food, etc..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
franga, Oh and we found the Air Canada flights were better as you get to Whistler in time to sort your selves out and an early night. The BA flights get in much later and just time to go to bed.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
another vote for Allura. Always been good for me.

If you are flying from Manchester, check out KLM flights via Amsterdam. They are usually cheaper, they avoid Heathrow (a big plus for me) and it is usually the earliest flight into Vancouver. It is often no longer timewise than via London, though that can depend on connections.

I used ridebooker.com last year for the transfer and that worked fine.

I also second Summit for ski hire, mainly for the fact that you can store overnight and they are basically at the foot of the slopes. That said, the kit has always been good as well !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy