Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Got a Resort to meet this criteria?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

Sister, brother in law and 20yo niece are visiting from Australia in mid-January. B-I-L and niece want to ski for say 3 days whilst my sister doesn't. Here lies the criteria:

1. Ease of transfer, say under 2 hours
2. A resort that a short stay is going to be possible at.
3. VERY easy slopes for absolute beginners. My niece hasn't even seen snow as yet!
4. Good tuition for absolute beginners
5. A resort with plenty going on or at least plenty going on nearby to keep my sister occupied. Please don't just say spa's and cafes because she isn't going to sit all day for 3 days drinking coffee or getting massages, facials etc.

With respects 5. I was thinking one of the resorts nearby Salzburg, as an example.

Can you assist?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aviemore / Cairngorm. then they can "do" scotland as well Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nbt, funny you should say that. They went 25 years ago and spent a day or two there. I think they'd like to try somewhere new
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Leuzzi, What does your sister like to do?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nordicfan, good question. Drink coffee and get facials Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nordicfan, actually, she would like to "experience local culture" as well. Perhaps a gallery or a museum? A day trip to something touristy perhaps??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bring her to Morzine - if they bring over some Cherry Ripes i'll drop her in Annecy for the day snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nadenoodlee, its on the list. I luuuuurve Cherry Ripes. First thing packed on way back to the UK and I always seem to get them for my birthday!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe stay in Salzburg then and take day trips to ski? I will leave it to those who know a bit about downhill to suggest where's best. The tourist office keep emailing me info about bus trips to the slopes in Flachau.
http://www.salzburg.info/de/sehenswertes/rundfahrten_fuehrungen/shuttledienste/salzburg_flachau_ski_shuttle
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter Leuzzi, Innsbruck. Shortest transfer in skiing, tons to do, loads of skiing very close and accessible by bus, taxi or even lift from just north of the City centre. Maybe ski in Igls.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nordicfan, yep, good idea but I think they'll want to be in a resort for the apres etc so given my sister is the one killing time, she can travel!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller, good shout. What other resorts are we talking about?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamonix - don't laugh. Excellent dedicated beginner area at bottom of Le Tour, top tuition & the whole Mt Blanc/Aiguille de Midi/daytrip to Courmayeur experience possible for the non-skier. Beats Thredbo for views anyway.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Second Chamonix. I was just going to suggest it when fatbob posted it. It would be a great adventure for all. Le Tour does have an excellent beginner area and there's the small Les Planards area right in town which would be fine for a starter. Your sister could do plenty of stuff there in town, take the bus to Courmayeur, and, if adventurous, go up the Aguille du Midi lift for a look around the roof of the Alps..
latest report
Peter Leuzzi,
I guess it depends on where you can fly easily to.
If you can get to Turin, Briancon is not far away by car is an attractive town and has good skiing for all abilities.
From Munich Garmisch is meant to be quite a lively place with plenty for the non skier to do, though I have only driven through.
A bit off the usual skier route I stayed last year at a place called Thollon les memises which is easily reachable from Geneva an attractive little place with views over lake Geneva and the possibility of excursions to Evian or on lake Geneva for the non skier. The skiing was over by the time I arrived so can't comment on it but probalby plenty for a beginner with just three days to spend.
snow conditions
Try the Arabba-Marmolada area on the Dolomiti Superski compound; they pretty much every type of slopes there and depending on where you stay you can really travel around a bit ( this is for those who don't want to ski, clearly NehNeh).
I know the Hotel Garnì Roberta, in Malga Ciapela (http://www.garniroberta.com/en/), which is straight onto the slopes and only about 1 hour from Cortina D'Ampezzo. The hotel is lovely and provides a fantastic breakfast. The area is also known for the good food, so you can really make a holiday of the place.

Hope it helps!
Shock
snow report
Stay in Granada. Ski Sierra Nevada. Visit the Alambra.
Should tick all your boxes except for 4, about which I'm afraid I can't comment.
snow conditions
In the Geneva area you have some good choices if they want to hire a car?

La Clusaz and Grand Bornand are under 1 hour from Geneva. Thats 1-4 ticked. For number 5), its then under an hour to go exloring round the lake Leman, and an hour to Chamonix for a great day trip to go up the aiguille de midi etc. Great experience.

Wouldn't recommend Chamonix for beginners, lots of better places for that, but otherwise I would agree with that as a suggestion.

Others that tick 1-4 and keep Geneva/Lac Leman and Chamonix open for day trips are;
Samoens and rest of the Grand Massif. Samoens is a stunning town in itself. Good beginner area at top of the main lift out of town.
St Gervais a very unique spa town. Good ski area.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
Quote:

Samoens and rest of the Grand Massif. Samoens is a stunning town in itself. Good beginner area at top of the main lift out of town.

Agree, that beginner area is almost like a mini resort in itself.
latest report
Peter Leuzzi, will you hire a car wherever you end up? It might broaden your options if you do. And your main aim is to give your sister, BiL and niece a real slice of Alpine experience, rather than a trip for yourself isn't it?

I think your thoughts about Salzburg or Bode Swiller's suggestion of Innsbruck fulfil your needs quite nicely. There are regular buses going from Salzburg Bus Terminal each day through to Flachau with the fare including the day pass. The bus timetable is here:
http://www.salzburg.info/en/sights/guided_tours/shuttle_service/salzburg_flachau_ski_shuttle

and for the Innsbruck one: http://www.innsbruck.info/sistrans/erleben/winterurlaub/skigebiete-skipaesse.html
I think either Mutteralm or maybe Axamer Lizum would be your best areas there for the beginners. They are much closer to Innsbruck than Salzburg is to Flachau.

Then again, flying into Geneva and entering the PdS area from the Swiss side will also give a wide variety of options - Champèry or Morgins for example. You have all the wonderful places along the Rhône valley for your sister to explore using the Rhône Valley railway. I can't remember what the slopes are like on the Champèry side, but Morgins has some nice beginner areas.

Another option would be to stay in a place like Annecy (beautiful in its own right) and take the skiers up to Le Grand Bornand where there are some superb beginner slopes that are relatively quiet as well. Les Contamines is also in that area with some nice easy progression slopes.

As we say here your only problem is "der Qual der Wahl" (the torture of the selection!)

Sue Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy