Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort for New Year with 4/6yr olds first timers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any ideas on which resort to go to with our 2 kids aged 4 and 6 - they are first time skiers and ideally I'd like them to be in the same class for a bit of solidarity! We've looked at Les Arcs 1800 or 1950 but aren't sure if these may not be a bit. Other resorts mentioned have been Alpe d'Heuz - any other suggestions - we aren't expecting to do much in the way of skiing and it's been 7 years since we went so we'll be very rusty so it's really all about the kids, we can fit in around them. Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you thought of Les Contamines, there is a kids club and ski school at the first lift station and it has a good early season snow record. Area is limited but if you are rusty more than enough for a week. We were there a couple of years ago for NYE and there was a good party in the town square kids entertainment (jugglers, fire eaters), torch lit decent early on, with adisco, and vin chau etc till 1ish.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saalbach.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
janegiblet, Arc 1950 is ultra convenient for anything related to skiing with kids, more so than Arc 1800. Everything is just a short walk within the village, which is entirely pedestrianised. The ski school, Spirit 1950, has a good reputation and there is a decent kids club (called the Kangaroo or maybe the Moose club?) which might be good for some childcare.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You might find that almost all the other kids in ski school in Les Contamines will be French - so even if the instructors speak English, the majority of the communication will be in French. In a big resort, whether French or Austrian, you are more likely to find more Anglophone kids. Though having said that, my 5 year old daughter learnt in Austria in an entirely German speaking class and it doesn't seem to have scarred her for life. wink

Of the French resorts, I think Les Gets would be a good choice - and use the BASS ski school for small, English speaking groups and top class tuition.

BASS would also be great for helping you to brush up your technique. I think there are other good ski schools in Les Gets too, and there are several snowheads who know the resort well. We had two (or maybe three) trips there, but that was yonks ago.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
an alternative worth considering would be to go to a smaller resort but choose private lessons, then you can ask for your kids to be taught together and they will probably get on very well. New Year will be very crowded anywhere in France, I suspect - not sure whether Austria will be quieter, but it's worth asking around. Christmas week would be significantly quieter in France - again, I don't know about Austria - we only ever went there in January, in the heapo cheapo weeks.

At New Year it's worth avoiding the very high places - they can be exceptionally bleak and cold and windy for little ones.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What would you class as very high?? Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
as i have mentioned before Montgenevre ski school for kids has classes no bigger than 6 in a group, and the resort is not too lively in the evenings
i reckon after a couple of days the family would be enjoying skiing together on the 3 mile blue and green runs from the Gontrans bowl
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cockerhoop wrote:
as i have mentioned before Montgenevre ski school for kids has classes no bigger than 6 in a group, and the resort is not too lively in the evenings
i reckon after a couple of days the family would be enjoying skiing together on the 3 mile blue and green runs from the Gontrans bowl

Montgenevre is a good call.

Groups size depends which ski school. ESF usual group sizes, can be large, around 12 kids. Apeak is the ESI school and is fantastic, they have max. 6 in their little ones beginner groups and max. 8 in other groups.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having used Esprit for the first time last year, I find it difficult to fault their ethos. Children are looked after, adults looked after. I have only stayed in the Crystal 2000 in Courchevel 1850 and while the accomodation is a little tired it's perfectly placed and the whole package they provide is in my view very good. It helps that my two children can both ski and that particular chalet hotel is ski in/out. Of course with a chalet hotel you do have to run the gamut of rotated tables with new people each night, but I actually found that quite fun and interesting.

As a plus the crystal 2000 is ideally located to cruise up and down the blues/green/reds of 1850 or take a quick pop over to 1650 which will suit the returning skier who doesn't want to be overly challenged on the first few days.

2 penneth added I'll go back to the day job now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

What would you class as very high??

Tignes, Val Thorens, for example. It's good to have some access to higher altitude skiing but staying up there is another matter (and quite a few people find it hard to sleep, apart from the general moonscape, maybe minus 25 with windchill, etc etc).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
janegiblet, a couple of seasons back we visited an area in Austria called Zugspitze, staying in a village called Lermoos. There was about 5 villages sharing the one lift pass but they were not lift linked and one of the villages- BERWANG- struck me as the place for me to bring my grandchildren(if ever i am blessed) to learn to ski. It is in a smallish sunny bowl and is absolutely beautiful, it looked perfect in every way if you had small 1st time kids.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definitely consider a smaller resort, especially if cost is an issue. Can also be worth looking at what the age cut off is for free tix, although their first days will likely not be spent on the lifts. Try booking as close to the magic carpet/beginner area as possible and don't expect a ton of skiing to actually take place.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, janegiblet, it is called the Cariboo Club! (but you were getting there...)

Of course, I'm going to tell you you've hit the target first time with Arc1950 - it is designed for families, wth plenty of non-skiing activities if things get fraught in the afternoon. Everything close at hand, no traffic, plenty of English spoken, good quality apartments: what's not to like?

Note, I am biassed, since we bought there (and I am heavily involved in both the owners association and village association), but have never regretted it, and mini-roll has skied there every year since age 3 in 2004, and just loves the place. PM me if you want more details on the facilities or activities.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 13-10-11 20:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
janegiblet,I always recommend Samoens: The extensive novice facilities are amongst the best anywhere with the bonus of a direct tele-cabine straight from the village to the beginners meeting place at Samoens 1600. There are several ski schools, and I recommend friends and guests to ZigZag http://www.zigzagski.com/index.php/en/children/children-s-group a local school that have a multinational/multi lingual instructor team: They teach well and keep a lid on group sizes so the first rate tuition never suffers. The blue areas are so wide I use them myself for a warm up!

The village is a treasure for young children with entertainment every evening during the season and an ice rink which you can use as part of your ski pass. There’s usually an ice hockey match most Thursdays but not major league like Geneva or the Morzine teams.

My own children have enjoyed the resort for many years and now my grand children are set up for their first visit this year.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy