Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Familt ski trip to Schladming or Ellmau

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

we are looking to organise a family ski trip to Austria this year. I have had a good look around the forum and think that either Schladming or Ellmau sounds like a good starting point. The last time we were in Austria we went to Filzmoos which was great for us as begginers. We have come on a bit since then and have a 6 year old getting ready for her 3rd trip (she's loves it).

We normally organise our own trip however if it is better value would book with a company. Not many going to Schladming however. Things also seem to be getting booked up.

Therefore any advice with regards to accomodation or resort would be really welcome.

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
madmac1, Welcome. For staying in Schladming check out these apartment booking agencies, they tend to rent pretty high quality places.

http://schladming-appartment.at/

http://www.myadventure.at/wohnen-schladming-appartements.html

I think Crystal have a fair size operation in Schladming.

You could also consider staying in Altenmarkt or Radstadt. Altenmarlt gets a new 10 man Gindola these season, great little hill for families with very modern lifts. Up the road is Zauchansee around the corner is Flachau and not too far away is Filzmoos.

for altenmarkt try http://web.me.com/hinsby/Austrian-Alps/Home.html

for radstadt try http://www.austrian-adventures.com/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for sending the links really appreciated. Will check them out.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check out Westendorf instead of Ellmau for the SkiWelt - it's better in pretty much every way.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for Westendorf.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cool. I will have a look at Weterndorf as well.

Thanks again
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
madmac1, Flangesax is the man to talk to , I've been to both resorts and rate Schladming far higher,less crowds,cheaper prices and easier access to the slopes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice. Definatly erring on the side of Scladming. If we organise accomodation only then it its good to know that there are good places to eat etc that are not too expensive. In saying that I am waiting on a quote from the Sport Hotel that looks pretty good and not far from the lifts. We will definatly not be going in half term either so it make the choice of dates easier. How would I get in touch with Flangesax?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
madmac1, I ski both regularly. Ellmau is about 40 minutes from where I live and is therefore one of my short day trips. Lovely skiing and the village is great, picturesque but also family orientated with a mix of apres places. In the summer it is just as lively in the village to be honest. Excellent snow record and super blue/red cruising country. The childrens ski school is excellent as well.

Schladming is about an 1 and a half from where I live and is where I choose to go for my longer trips - weekends, weeks, etc. Mega area with a huge variety of slopes and conditions. one of the earliest non-glacier resorts in austria and always one of the last to close. Childrens ski areas are fantastic - the best being the Lärchenwiese which is protected from the bad weather by stands of trees all around it and has a couple of nice mountain huts for the little uns if it gets too bad.

Both resorts will give you a wonderful holiday. Schladming is a real town and although the slopes are not busy because the area is huge, the town (away from the pedestrian centre) can be busy because it is a proper functioning major town for the area it serves. Ellmau is a farming village/town and one of several along that stretch of road, therefore gives a more "sleepy" impression. It is way more popular with German and Scandinavian families than Söll for example, on the same system. That is filled with Brits and dutch most of the time on the pack'em high principle that the TOs seem to love.

You pays your money and you takes your choice! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for your advice Sue. I am debating choices with my wife at the moment! She does not want to be too out of touch with my dsughter if she does ski school. For a six year old she is pretty proficient and can ski paralel quite happily. I have skied a fair bit and like a challenge so Schmadling seems to offer this for me. However Ellmau is smaller and maybe easier to all stay in touch for lunch etc.

Also as a local you must know some of the good places to stay! Any recomendations much appreciated.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
madmac1, If you're looking at Schladming make sure you're staying on the "lift side" of the bypass as its a fair shlep uphill at the end of the day/night and the bus isn't overly frequent.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all of your advice. We booked Schladming over the weekend so very excited.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy