Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone go to Telluride in 2010?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I would be interested to get advice from anyone who visited Telluride in the last season or so. We are planning a few days there as part of three stop tour of Colorado this winter, but haven't been to Telluride before. In particular does anyone have a view on whether to stay in the upper village or in the old town? Where does one park if you are staying in the upper village (or can you drive up even though it is serviced by a gondala in the evenings)? Thanks for any advice. Nigel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never been but if it's like any other N American resort there'll be more going on in town at night, a less "corporate" feel and possibly cheaper accomodation.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nigels, I went there in 2009 with my family as part of a two stop tour including Silverton. The upper village is ok for a stop at lunch or for a late afternoon beer but the old town has a lot more going on. That's where the energy is and it's a great town, with lots of atmospheric places to go. We did not drive up to the village but it did look like there was parking up there. It was easy to take the gondola up from town pretty much any time you liked although we never did at night because town was so good. It is as beautiful there as they say, located in amphitheater of mountains. The skiing itself is excellent although, unique to Telluride, it serves intermediates and experts best. The pitches on much of the mountain go from pleasant intermediate level straight to expert on many of the upper slopes. Advanced skiers will find this oddity a bit challenging because the steeps really are steep. That said, we'd go back in a heartbeat.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ThanksJack . Interestingly there is a definite price premium to stay in the upper village. Would you say 4 or 5 nights is a good amount of time to spend here (in 18 days skiing total)? Did you go for a condo or a hotel?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
May need a time machine Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
4 or five days is good. The mountain is bigger and more interesting than some suggestions but after most of a week you will be satisfied. We stayed in town at Hotel Telluride which was quite nice. I had booked the New Sheridan but my wife went on line and found a great deal for the other so that's where we went. If she's happy, I'm happy, as long as we get the adventure. The town is compact enough where location is not that important. It's a flattish village so walking is not too bad. The hotel was several hundred yards from the slopes though, not usually a problem for me, but we were totally wiped out a few times and the walk was tougher than it should have been. The hotel did offer shuttle service but we're too tough (stupid) for that.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nigels wrote:
Hi All,
I would be interested to get advice from anyone who visited Telluride in the last season or so.

Yes & yearly since the early 80's so i have seen many changes including the whole development of Mountain Village.

You might want to take a look at my post

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1701602&highlight=telluride#1701602

They have tried to improve the Mountian Village experience but i would advise you to Stay in Town.

Re. Car Parking in Mountain Village. There is a Mulitstory Car park.

Most people arrive by plane. Cars are discouraged. Make sure your Hotel/accomodation has a permit for guests parking otherwise your be moving your car everyday parked on the street.

If you need more specific info PM
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks stanton, it seems that the overwhelming majority recommends staying in town. Any advice on where in town or is it small enough that almost anywhere is close to the lifts, nightlife, etc. Just to be clear, can you actually ski back to the town or do you download from the mountain village? Is there a base area at the town too? I assume we are taling a town the size of St Anton in Austria, or is it bigger? Thanks again.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can ski back to Town to Oak Street Lift & Gondola or CoonSkin Lift.

You can walk round the Old Town No Problem. There is also a free bus that loops the town.

Although I have driven countless times to Telluride, I never used the car while there. Its not as big a Aspen or Steamboat

This pretty much shows you Colorado Avenue (Main street)

http://youtube.com/v/7lRWLPsIR-4
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can ski back to town. But the way back is not particularly easy nor interesting. I tend to stop at the upper village for a drink then download by Gondola.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a cat track all the way down (Telluride Trail) .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy