Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Peisey Vallandry for beginners?

Poster: A snowHead
I am tasked with booking apartments for my family, and my brother's family, for the first week of Easter 2012. My brother's family (of 4) include a complete beginner aged 16 and my sister in law and niece (aged 16) who have only skied previously for one week a couple of years ago. They will probably have some lessons in a dome before they go. I have never been to the Les Arcs area before, and from reviews I've seen I thought that Peisey Vallandry might be a good choice. However, I've read that the nursery slopes are not that convenient needing a longish chair lift to access them, and beginners would probably need to take the lift back down again, rather than ski back. I would be grateful for any views or suggestions from snowhead 's who know the area. Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Friends of mine took beginners to P-V and the vomment was just that - its a bit steep on the run home, and at Easter the home run snow will be slushy in the afternoon and not good for tired beginner legs, so it would be a lift down. Its a great area for a second week, or some-one who has done a few snowdome hours and doesn't need to plough however.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+ 1 from me.

The beginners slope is nice but complete beginners will need to go up and down on the chair lift for the first few days.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mountain Haddock, Snow and Sunshine, thanks for your feedback. I think I should look for somewhere else that has easier access to the beginner slopes I still fancy going to the Paradiski area. Do you have any suggestions that would be suitable? Many thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
.......complete beginners will need to go up and down on the chair lift for the first few days.

I'm not sure I agree entirely with that. It's possible I suppose, that really nervous, absolute beginners 'might' need to download on the first day, but I stayed in Peisey with my 4 year old son on his first ski trip. He went up on the chair on the second day of our holiday (having spent the first day in the snow garden), and was able to ski all the way back down. If your beginners plan to have a few hours in a dome before you go, then they will probably be completely fine.
Why don't you look at it in a slightly different way? The benefits of Peisey, and the rest of the Les Arcs / Paradiski area massively outweigh any small concerns about the final couple of hundred metres of the home run into Peisey.

I'm happy to go into more details if you wish, I may even be able to dig out a couple of photos of the run in question. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What's wrong with downloading? I often do it if the final run of the day is likely to be super-crowded and/or in poor condition, and I'm not a beginner. I agree with this:
Quote:

The benefits of Peisey, and the rest of the Les Arcs / Paradiski area massively outweigh any small concerns about the final couple of hundred metres of the home run into Peisey.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
What's wrong with downloading? I often do it if the final run of the day is likely to be super-crowded and/or in poor condition, and I'm not a beginner.

Good point Pedantica. Absolutely nothing wrong with downloading (if that's what you want to do wink )
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Actually I think you would probably be ok unless you think they are going to be very nervous beginners and on the nursery slope for prolonged periods.

For starters it’s right out on the fringe of Les Arcs and is much quieter than the other Arc resorts, so you have more space as you progress – nothing worse than packed pistes with people bombing past to put beginners off.

The nursery area is indeed at the top of the vallandry chair, so if they are just using the nursery slopes and nothing else then yes you would have to get the lift down (although it’s long it is at least a fast detachable chair). However if they’ve skied once before or are having some dome lessons before they go I don’t see why they will on that tiny nursery slope for long. Beyond that there’s some really nice beginner progression up there – the 2300 lift (short but slow) serves a stupidly wide nice easy blue with tons and tons of space that beginners can lap all day building confidence (it did wonders for my wife in her early days of skiing), and after that you can move to Derby lift (which I think used to be called Plan Bois) for longer harder blue challenges.

It’s true that most the runs back to the village are reds, but there is an easy long winding road that snakes its way down back to the village called Foret – weirdly it’s marked as blue (Les arcs just don’t seem to mark any piste as green for some reason) but frankly it’s a long flat cat track green that gently cruises back and forth through the trees down to the village. The only danger is the lower end could get closed if it’s very poor snow late season in which case you’re stuck with the reds or the lift, but I’ve been there in fairly poor snow and they do their damndest to keep it open.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all, and thanks for all the feedback. Very Happy

Some good points raised there - particularly about the overall benefits of the area outweighing the small inconvenience of getting the lift back down, which perhaps may not be a problem anyway as they will be having some lessons in a dome beforehand. I've found a large apartment which could accommodate the whole group comfortably, which is an added incentive for going there.

Decision made - I think I'll go for it! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ennalsj, good plan, we go with loads of kids (aged 2-9, about 15 in all and most of them have learned to ski in Peisey and getting down is fine and much not a problem for begginers after even just a bit of skiing compared with most places.

The other runs- blues and reds are ideal for new skiers.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ennalsj, just wanted to back up what Gazzza, has said, the long blue track back down from the nursery area is a very easy blue, should be a green really. Plus its a really pretty run down through the trees. The lower section last season was thin but they keep it open as much as possible and we had no problems getting back down with a a very mixed group of skiers.

Plus the Mont Blanc bar is a great place to finish the day at on the terrace Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
further backup the comments about vallandry, my twin 4yo's were coming back into Vallandry down le foret with their instructor on their second day of lessons.

As others have already mentioned its a nice gentle slide down, the snow cover is quite protected by the tres and the descent gives beginners a great confidence boost by them "skiing home" at the end of the lessons.

as metioned Mont Blanc Maxima or Jimmys all offer nice ned of day chilling options
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Vallandry is an excellent choice for beginners. Do not worry about being downloaded by the Peisey lift, it is well set up for it. Many people download and not just beginners. The advantage of having the nursery slopes at 2200 metres is that the snow is good, much better than at resort level. The whole massive area between the top of the Grizly and the forest is a beginner’s paradise. Even for experienced skiers it is an excellent place to work on technique

Take the lift down. There is no shame in it.

The blue, foret, that snakes down though the trees is pretty tedious and when I was learning I would have hated it (never did like skiing along roads). At the northern end of the Vallandry sector there is a more pleasant blue route back to Vallandry.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all, many thanks to all you snowHead 's for all the good information Very Happy

There's no going back now - I've just booked the apartment Very Happy Very Happy

I know it's a long way off yet, but I'll update this post when we get back to let you all know how we got on.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ennalsj, good stuff. which apartment did you book?
ski holidays
ennalsj, Very Happy I am sure you will have a great time, you can keep up to date with all the Les Arc info on the Les Arc 2011/2012 thread as well
latest report
Libertine, I have booked at the L'Arollaie apartments which seemed to have good reviews. Do you know these at all?

livetoski, I will certainly be keeping a very close eye on the Les Arcs thread Very Happy
latest report
ennalsj, If you have not found it already the nursery slopes can be seen from the top of the Grizzly webcam here:
http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/les-arcs-peisey/interface.php?pk_interface=260&m=images&r=panoramique
snow report
Just to add - we took ours at 4 and he was OK on the nursery slopes , the run down was OK ( the blue) if you feel brave enough to go all the way down - and its wide enough for small kids ( with shorter skis) !!
latest report
I know snow was exceptionally poor last season, but we struggled to ski that low down Easter school hols this year (9-16th Apr I think). There was only one red open down to Vallandry, and Foret, although there were sections of Foret where you had to take the skis off and trudge across the gravel. Cover at the top of the Grizzly was fine if a little heavy going though.

We skied in t-shirts early on in the week for a few days, it was 20+C and around 10C at the top of the Aiguille Rouge.

Hopefully this season will have a lot more cover throughout the season so even if it does warm up there's a good enough base.
ski holidays
ennalsj wrote:
Hi all, many thanks to all you snowHead 's for all the good information Very Happy

There's no going back now - I've just booked the apartment Very Happy Very Happy

Good work - enjoy the holiday.

This is the beginners area just below the Peisey Lift (a similar setup exists below the Vallandry lift)

This is the 'big wide improvers area' that Gazza was going on about - taken from the 2300 lift..

And if you want more to read about PV then this post might give you some good background - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53223
ski holidays
bertie bassett, great photos - thanks very much for posting. Certainly puts the mind at rest as far as the beginners in our group are concerned.

And what a great trip report - it tells me pretty well everything I want to know. I spent a while googling Peisey Vallandry and none of the sites I found came up with anywhere near as much info.

Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to post all this information. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy