Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

White Dot Preachhers are they for me

Poster: A snowHead
I’m thinking of buying a pair White Dot Preachers. At the moment I’ve got a pair of B2’s
Going from a 78mm under foot to a 112mm frightens the hell out of me but the reviews say great on and off piste Snow Shepherd say a one quiver ski, spyderjon describes them as a 50/50 ski. Is this all true or are they just a big fat powder ski which can do a bit of piste work Puzzled

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 2-10-11 21:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like you have read the numerous reviews here on snowHeads, so surely only you can decided if they are the ski for your ability and for the terrain you usually ski?

That said, take them out for a demo day and see for yourself snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glen Charman, I tried 'em in a fridge, down icy rutted slalom courses. I'm only of limited ability but still managed to nail the gates most of the time, although it did take some effort and concentration. There wasn't the space to rail long turns but they certainly link short turns well enough. More importantly, they put a huge grin on my face. Based on that experience I'd say they'd be more than adequate on a piste. However, as Zero-G points out, maybe you should be making the decision based on what/where you'll be doing most of your skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They rail on groomers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glen Charman wrote:
Is this all true or are they just a big fat powder ski which can do a bit of piste work Puzzled

Alternatively they can be thought of as a big fat piste ski which can do a bit of powder work. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Glen Charman, lol if you could spell Shepherd then I would say, come to hemel tomorrow and give them a try. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glen Charman, If i only had one pair of ski's the Preachers would be them....................... However i like having more than one pair so i've just ordered the One's as well.
Having done 7 weeks in Switzerland last season with very little powder the preachers still became my every day ride. The only reason i'm even buying the one's is that i'm looking for a pipe and park ski.

The only negative i can think of about the Preacher is that it does demand that you're quite commited to get the best out of them. It's not that you can't ski them lazily, you can, it's just that they give you back what you put into them and the harder you push them the more you grin. Hence you find yourself getting really hard over on the edge and going faster and faster as the day goes on. I started off saying this was a negative comment, and it is, kind of, the thing is as a result i find myself wanting to be fitter and stronger this season to allow me to really push them all the time without being knackered at the end of the day.

So yes, they're amazing, get them, don't sweat on the size of the waist. But get down the gym or on your bike while you wait for delivery and you'll enjoy them even more snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
livetoski,
Quote:

come to hemel tomorrow and give them a try.
Ooh, are you bringing skis to test again? Any pixie-length ones? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fastandicy wrote:

The only negative i can think of about the Preacher is that it does demand that you're quite commited to get the best out of them. It's not that you can't ski them lazily, you can, it's just that they give you back what you put into them and the harder you push them the more you grin. Hence you find yourself getting really hard over on the edge and going faster and faster as the day goes on. I started off saying this was a negative comment, and it is, kind of, the thing is as a result i find myself wanting to be fitter and stronger this season to allow me to really push them all the time without being knackered at the end of the day.

I'd actually say the opposite. They are quite an easy ski to ski, but for me just a bit too soft to really push hard. Generally speaking this is a good thing since it means they tend to work well everywhere including bumps which is quite surprising for a big ski (and for me!). However really opening them up somewhere a little less flat and you reach the limit of how fast you want to go on, and they don't have the rebound of say volkl freeride skis (which are a stiffer and heavier but you pay for this in that they also are much less forgiving), and certainly not proper GS skis (though I'd not want to be doing anything but a GS on them Happy)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ Yip - I would agree with the above.
The WD preacher is very easy to ski for its size.

The unique feature of the Preacher is that it has a massive side cut for an off piste ski (actually far too much for own personal tastes). This makes it very easy to turn - but once you going at any speed it feels like you *have* to keep them turning. A big ski with short turn radius seemed unfocused for my own preferences - but it is was very obvious why some people love them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It might be worth giving the guys at WD a call, I've ordered a set of preachers as part of the Dots Dozen promotion never having skied them but found talking to them was really useful. I had a good chat with Carl and he then got Andy to give me call back and talk through the options.

I suppose they might just be really good salesmen but after talking to them I had no issue pulling the trigger on a set of 189 preachers, if it helps I'm going from a Prophet 90 so not as big a jump as you but still a fair difference, just can't wait for them to arrive now! My impression was that Andy really wants people to enjoy the skis and as such will tell you if they might not be right for you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski, Ops sorry Embarassed must go and spell Shepherd 100x
Thanks for the offer to try the Preachers but I don’t think I will be able to get to Hemel this side of xmas thanks to work Crying or Very sad

Snakeskin Si, A mate was at the Inside Out club night he skied out the slalom and almost took out Rob
So you must have done well with the skis

Thank you all for the replies very helpful I think I may well go for Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glen Charman, You'll thank yourself for that decision many, many times for the next few seasons. My Preachers are such a blast to ski and I've yet to see their full potential. Wot fastandicy said about them demanding commitment. I've yet to read of anyone really disliking Preachers (I guess I'll be corrected shortly!) Everyone seems to find at least one good feature too them
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glen Charman wrote:
Thank you all for the replies very helpful I think I may well go for Toofy Grin

I loved them when I tried them (wrote about it here).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just bought a pair
I stupidly dithered about them - long and short is that if you think you want them, then you probably do want them - just go for it and anticipate the grin factor this season.
snow report
Big Paua, have to agree I spent most of yesterday on the Preachers at Hemel, great fun even in the fridge. Also had a bit of Redeemer time just to scare some other slope users wink
ski holidays
livetoski,
Quote:

Also had a bit of Redeemer time just to scare some other slope users
You succeeded. But you weren't as scary as Junior! Laughing
latest report
Pedantica,
Quote:

You succeeded. But you weren't as scary as Junior!

in joke Laughing one of the instructors, said he (junior) was doing some of the best flat spin 360's she had seen and that was on the super fat 125 under foot Shocked
snow report
livetoski, those skis are so blooming huge that, when he was in the air, he appeared to be hovering over the entire slope! Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy