Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

all views please - ortovox integrated back protector

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
anyone decided to buy the freerider pack with integrated backprotector? My armour is now officially kernackered and antiquated. so I'm scouting for new. I've been scouting around and came across the ortovox freerider packs with integrated armour - this seemed like a possibility since it avoids all that tedious strap adjustment and mucking around when you layer up - but when I made a few enquiries in one shop they said that they wouldn't recommend it - packs get torn off in avalanche (never been in one and don't aim to be, despite 30 years climbing and skiing - a few close shaves though) you have to wear the pack tight which causes overheating and is uncomfortable. So why on earth do a highly research-based company like ortovox make it all?

spine protection now seem to be going in two directions: sort stuff to stop impacts, or hard stuff to stop overarticulation.

I'm also mithering about whether to go for:

a POC vest - which is good against impacts but not overarticulation (I've already had a spinal wedge fracture from that, in an accident)
a slim POC hard protector - I'm 5-7 and slim and the POC seems the most suitable in size
an ortovox pack

any advice out there?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had an Ortovox and didn't get on with it, I gave it away. It seemed to restrict movement. I had one tumble in it and I didn't get a broken back, but did get a groin strain, not blaming the sac for that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got to think the main reason for a back protector built into a sack is to prevent the contents of the pack aggravating an impact injury to someone wearing no stand alone armour.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
midgetbiker wrote:
I've got to think the main reason for a back protector built into a sack is to prevent the contents of the pack aggravating an impact injury to someone wearing no stand alone armour.

What he said.

valais2, just buy a Dainese Nextwave back protector & you'll be sorted. There Impact Shorts Plus are excellent as well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I tried on the 24 and 26 before choosing a freerider 26. I think it's a great bag with the added protection of the back protector. I'm actually thinking of getting a smaller one this year 16? The 24 and 26 are actually more than you need for regular resort and side country access.  It might be a good point about the avalanche, but the beauty of the integrated approach is you have protection inbounds which can be just as valuable. This means you have protection been when you aren't in high risk zones, which tbh is where a lot of accidents are. 

I also have a separate forcefield back protector which I bought for the cresta run but may sell it as it's never used. It's frowned on on the cresta until you are getting serious times and unless we are heading somewhere serious off piste (which on the whole we don't due to ability) it never gets unpacked on holiday. 

I've had a few mammut packs in the past and they fit well and are well made, but as a day to day pack it's hard to beat the simplicity of the ortovox. The rear entry is also a nice feature for getting quick access to shovel etc, but mostly used to get to something at the bottom of the bag without upsetting everything else, usually a camera or drink. 

With regards to restricting movements, straps, hot, uncomfortable, etc, I honestly think it's just the same as any pack. I've never had any problems and remember they come in different back lengths. 

Obviously it won't be as good as a dedicated back protector in an avalanche, but if you spend half of your time, or more,  inbounds it's probably better as it means you have some protection without thinking about it.  If you are aiming to nail that spine then the full kit may be warranted. I found that the separate BP and my Mammut respect was actually hotter and more restricting, but I felt invincible. 
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have the 16 litre ortovox and i found it really good, the other half has a ladies version of an ortovox pack with the internal back protector

I have a deuter 25ltr pack with the internal protector too, thats really good if you need more capacity, i use this when riding with my 8yo twins to allow space to cary extra jumpers snacks gloves drinks etc
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mt, ....this just goes to show the value of the equipment review threads - was all up for rejecting the ortovox route until the useful replies (both in favour and against) - now know that I need to check out the ortovox for restriction and need to check which back length is right - only some websites indicate the back length varies on the different size packs and others don't. Looks like the ortovox might be useful for days on the piste with family, and replacement proper-job armour for more frantic days. Last time I tried dianese it felt like donning medieval armour but I'll take a look at the latest stuff. Many thanks all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy