Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies skis v mens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone. I m hoping you'll be able to give me a bit of advice about buying first skis. I am female, 5ft 9 and about 13 st. Being on the heavy side (!) I dont know if should be looking at mens skis rather than ladies. I've been skiing for 15 weeks ish, happy to go on any run but prefer cruising down the blues and reds. Saw some head cool ones bu concerned they'll be too soft for me.

Thanks V much
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Smiley_emiley, Some of the womens skis especially in the Freeski ranges are the same skis as the men's but with diffrent top sheets on them examples like the Salomon Galaxy and the Atomic Coud D2 or elysian would be worth a look
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But on the other hand taking the Galaxy for example, it's longest length is 171cm. I suspect you'd probably need something a little longer. The male equivalent the Suspect has a 176 (probably about right) and a 181.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Smiley_emiley, I am similar dimensions to you and I honestly prefer women's skis. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, I'm sure I read somewhere that the bindings are mounted further forward making the tips shorter, but I have no idea why this would benefit a woman. Length is a bit of an issue. My skis are 162 and I ski on piste only so this is sufficient for me, however, it's not easy to find women's skis much longer than this.

Are you near a snowdome? If so, there should be some demo skis you can try to feel the differences for yourself.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't forget Galaxy/Suspect are twin tips so 176cm is probably equivalent to 165cm or so for non twin tips.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia wrote:
Smiley_emiley, I am similar dimensions to you and I honestly prefer women's skis. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, I'm sure I read somewhere that the bindings are mounted further forward making the tips shorter, but I have no idea why this would benefit a woman. Length is a bit of an issue. My skis are 162 and I ski on piste only so this is sufficient for me, however, it's not easy to find women's skis much longer than this.

Are you near a snowdome? If so, there should be some demo skis you can try to feel the differences for yourself.

I'm similar size and generally prefer unisex skis Smile

Going to a snow dome is a good suggestion, try and demo two similar skis from the same manufacturer, one women's specific and one unisex. I hate the forward mounting point that many manufacturers use so it puts me off many women's skis when demoing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for all your advice. I'll head up to xscape and try some out Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy