Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

thinking of driving, where to?

Poster: A snowHead
hi guys i am looking to go away around december the 30th and this year we have decided to drive. what resorts do you recommend we drive to, and what resorts are close to calais. for the last few years we have been to puy st vincent, france as we got a great deal through somebody, we are considering going there again but will drive this year, what do you recommend and what tips do you have many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can drive to just about anywhere. From Calais, all the alpine resorts are 8-12 hrs away, with the northern French resorts being closest and south Austrian furthest. I like driving to Austria, as you then get the opportunity to base yourself somewhere central and ski a different resort everyday.

Don't forget that in Germany and Austria you will require winter tyres if it snows, in Austria and Switzerland you need to buy a vignette to use the motorways and in France the autoroute tolls will add noticeably to your travel costs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi thanks for the reply. so what resorts would you recommend in austria then that are best to go to as you say somewhere central, also what is the best destinatin regarding travel cost ect as we are looking to keep budget to a minimum many thanks for your reply
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Zillertal area may be one of the easier ones to get to in Austria. However I went there years ago and other people on this forum know far more about Austrian resorts and will be able to give you other ideas.

In terms of French resorts I'd look at the nearest ones. Puy St Vincent is a cheap resort but probably one of the more expensive places to drive to.
We have just been on a summer holiday to Saint Gervais/Les Contamines area and that was an easy drive, motorway nearly all the way. Haven't been there in winter to experience the skiing. Les Saisies isn't much further and has a cheaper lift pass than the better known resorts such as Portes du Soleil, Flaine. However the skiing would not be as challenging either. La Clusaz is another option but not very snow sure on the lower slopes.

It wouldn't take much longer to get to Italian resorts such as Courmayeur or La Thuile but you would have the cost of the Mont Blanc tunnel. It might still be worth doing if the accommodation and other costs were cheaper when you were there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hi guys thanks for the reply, if anyone else could help with resorts and info regarding driving ect this would be appreciated, looking to keep all costs down to a minimum, is there any recommendations or anyone offering good deals many thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hammy1846at4,
If you are going for new year I dont think anywhere will be desperately cheap but there are quite a few resorts in the Maurienne valley that are pretty reasonably priced and it is not difficult to drive to.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thank you i will have a look, well mount vacation are offering good deals for these dates to puy st vincent, val cenis, les orres, valmorel, does anyone recommend any of these, been to puy st vincent and is good, cheap ect but is more on travelling so what do you guys recommend
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have driven a couple of times to Tarrentaise resorts (Merribel and Val d'Isere). We took started very early from London and arrived at tea time to watch the last skiers coming down. I have also driven to the Haute Maurienne (Val Cenis) and arrived about 8.00pm. The area is good value - especially the lift pass that allows you to ski all the (small) resorts in the area.
Of course you need to have 2 drivers to drive that hard. We generally started back after a nearly full day of skiing and stayed the night in the Burgundy area in a Formule 1, having a late dinner in a nice restaurant.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thank you, we were planning on leaving on the 30th of december and then getting the euro star just after midnight( so the 31st) and then drive in the night when we get the other side and then we will be in resort in the morning hopefully and then we can ski/board and we can sleep, chill ect so we are fresh to have a meal and a few drinks in the evening as it is new years eve, the smaller resorts suit us good as a couple of nervous skiers (girlfriend and her friend and some learning to board) thats why she loves puy st vincent and its cheap for lift passes and food ect in resort so if there is any places you think then this would be great. there will be 2 or 3 drivers so this will be good
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hammy1846at4, Have been to PSV and Val Cenis.
VC is a little larger and not so purpose built as PSV with a slightly bigger ski area though not huge. It links with Termignon.
The main drawback compared with PSV for when you are going is that it sits at the bottom of the valley under north facing slopes so at the end of December it will not get a lot of sun at village level if this is important to you.
It is pretty reasonably priced not quite so far to drive to as PSV and the road up is not quite as step and I would imagine less likely to require snow chains in bad either though as with any resort it is possible.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ok that is excellent info, so what would you recommend out of the two? and is val cenis next to the slopes? as puy is right on the piste more or less, how did you find prices and stuff in the val cenis compare to puy too? many thanks
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hammy1846at4, Val Cenis is a bigger place and there is accommodation right next to the slopes and other stuff further away. From memory I would guess prices are similar though I went in different years with different exchange rates. VC is less compact and purpose built as a resort than PSV, I would not strongly recommend one over the other and in similar snow conditions I think you would find the skiing pretty much equally enjoyable in both with a bit more to do in VC . Off the slopes I would guess VC is a bit livelier than PSV but nto dramatically so. WHich will get better snow is anyones guess but I think you would probably enjoy VC if you enjoyed PSV providing the accommodation suited.
Don't know how the ski schools compare if this is important as it is for some who go to PSV.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thank you i will keep your comments in mind and have a think and discuss with others what they think and go from there, but if others have any other thoughts please do comment and help with this matter. many thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We started driving as a family in 2000 and decided on Flaine as it's the nearest large resort by road. We've stuck with it, more due to familiarity than anything else plus it's easy to book S/C accomodation on their website, my OH is fluent in French (but speaks Italian as well) etc. Lift passes are becoming pricey as are restaurants but we don't use them much as Flaine is ski in, ski out. However, autoroute tolls are expensive as others say but anywhere in France is nearer than anywhere else. If you're going for one week do you really want to drive for longer than necessary? I certainly don't.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are driving down to Val Cenis at Easter for the first time, and it has been suggested on here to use this web site as it gives directions and toll charges,

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Itineraires?strStartLocid=31NDFhaXQxMGNOVE11TnprNU5qTT1jTFRFdU5UUTVNVEU9&strDestLocid=31NTEwOTMwMTBjTkRVdU1qZzFOVFk9Y05pNDRPREkzTnc9PQ==&intItineraryType=1&caravaneHidden=false&vh=CAR&strVehicle=0&itineraryCarType=0&itineraryFuelType=0&isFavoriseAutoroute=false&isAvoidPeage=false&isAvoidVignette=false&isAvoidLNR=false&isAvoidFrontiers=false&dtmDeparture=06%2F10%2F2011&distance=mi&devise=0.6756757|GBP&indemnite=&carbCost=1.5&autoConso=6.8&villeConso=6&routeConso=5.6
snow conditions
Hi,

We live out in France so we regularly do the Calais - La Plagne route and have always found it really straightforward. The motorways are toll roads so you have to pay for them, but they are generally quiet, well maintained and easy (if occasionally boring!) driving.

With 2 drivers, you can easily make the trip in one go, but if you choose to stop there are loads of options along the way. Formula 1 hotels are probably the cheapest but very basic.

Usually the last 30mins - 1 hr up to most ski resorts are smaller mountain roads and you need to be prepared for this. If you are travelling with kids a quick stop in the valley before the last bit helps with car sickness. You will also need to make sure that you have snow chains for the car and that you have had a couple of gos at putting them on/off before you leave.

Happy planning!
Heather
snow conditions
hi thanks for that, yes we will be getting some snow chains, or recently read about snow socks. will be 2 drivers maybe 3 for sure, we dont have any kids, we are aged from 19-22. has anyone been to these resorts as these are close to calais
1. Morillon / Samoens / Les
Carroz
2. Le Grand Bornand / La
Clusaz
3. Les Gets / Morzine
4. Saint-Gervais /
Les Houches
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy