Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs Crowded?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have read a couple of reports online that describe Les Arcs as crowded (both crowded pistes and queues for lifts) probably because it is convenient to Bourg St Maurice. However, the majority of reports don't mention anything about the issue. I was wondering what the view was amongst snowheaders? How does the crowding in Les Arcs compare to La Plagne and the other big French ski areas (espace killy, 3V, portes du soleil)?

Any views would be appreciated Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably depends on when you go....

Dobby ("speaking the bleedin' obvious")
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We skied there one half term about five years back at 1800. Queues could be bad if you got tangled up with morning or afternoon ski school, but after that we found plenty of uncrowded piste, Certainly been to worse. It's a big area and crowds after initial rush tend to get swallowed up pinch points excepted. I remember that some of the pistes over towards the La Plagne link were delightful through trees etc. Also done Espace Killy at half term from Val D'isere, another vast area and again with some pinch points. I have great memories of sitting in the middle of Santons home run trying to persuade my very emotional nine year old daughter to carry on, whilst trying not to think too much about the crowds flying past on either side. I think basically to answer your question it depends when you go, where you ski and what time you arrive at certain places and that comes with experience of the place or asking questions in this forum.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Graeme10, Yup - head out to the sides of the resort and you will find lots of space. Mid day don't stay in the centre area.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Arcs can be a bit busy over the new year week, but generally I have found the crowds less than Tignes and Val d'Isere. It has been so long since I have bothered to cross the Vanoise Express that I cannot comment on La Plagne. With those exceptions it is on a par with the rest of teh Tarrentaise. It does depend, to some extent of where you go in Les Arcs. For example The routes from the Col du Chal to Arc 2000 are particularly busy for some reason whereas those in Arc 1600 and vallandry are quiet. This may change with the new lift in 1600. If you regard the central area as down from the ridge to Arc 1800 then it is not too bad, it is the 2000 area that appears to attact the crowds and expect big queues at the Arcabule chair lift all day long

I have been very concerned in recent years with the amount of new building in Les Arcs without a comensurate increase in piste area and lift capacity. Having encountered St. Anton where the number of beds grossly exceeds the capacity of the resort I worried that Les Arcs was going down the same route. Fortunately for les Arcs the crowds have not appeared. Expect about 1/3 the lift queues and piste density that St. Anton has in Les Arcs.

In conclusion I have skied the New Year week in Les Arcs for the last 8 years and never found the crowds uncomfortable. Looking at bookings this is one of the busiest weeks of the season.

John
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE wrote:
In conclusion I have skied the New Year week in Les Arcs for the last 8 years and never found the crowds uncomfortable. Looking at bookings this is one of the busiest weeks of the season.
I've skied Les Arcs at most times of the season and you're right, New Year week is one of the busiest. It's not quite as bad as the last two weeks of Feb when half-term holidays kick in, but it is busier than every other week.

Having said that it's usually possible to avoid the worst of the queues. A few years ago I was skiing on New Year's Day, after a decent fall of fresh snow on New Year's Eve. It was pretty busy in most areas of the domain except for the pistes and off-piste above Villaroger, where it was gloriously quiet. No lift queues at all, not too busy on piste and almost nobody taking advantage of the fresh snow off-piste. I lapped around the Violettes and Droset lifts all day until I skied myself to a standstill, making fresh tracks on every lap. On my return to Arc 1800 I was astonsished to see 20 minute lift queues as soon as I dropped back in the the 2000 bowl (especially at Arcabulle which is often a real bottleneck).

Outside of New Year and half-term weeks the skiing is generally quiet, with few lift queues to speak of except at one or two bottlenecks (Arcabulle and Derby can get busier than other lifts) and not too busy on piste.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i've spent a few days there during half terms and didn't find it too bad. there are a few busy spots (eg the Aig Rouge cable car) and one or two old slow chairlifts but generally the lift system is modern and deals with the crowds well. the resort is big enought that you can avoid the crowded pistes easily enough too

La Plagne was much worse IME due to some slow chairs in key places
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was there with a large group at Feb UK half term two years ago and never had any major issues - as Arno says the Aig Rouge car gets v busy at peak periods and there is the odd congested point but certainly no worse than any other major resort at half term and better than several - including imo St Anton which was quite difficult at times. John E's and rob@rar advice above is very informed I'd say. As everywhere - get up there early, have lunch early and finish early - or very late - and you will be fine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the responses - great forum!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy