Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

season in val d'isere or ischgyl? which company?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
just saw someone post about ischgyl... i've got a similar dilemma - i've been offered a job doing a season in either ischgyl or val d'isere? what are the people like in each etc.?

also, anybody got any feedback on which ski companies are the best/worst to work for?!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ooo difficult one. 2 cracking resorts. Ischgl may be slightly less expensive and apres better IMO
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowbiz, Try asking on Natives
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowbiz, I have make season in the two,, but for many years ago, I will say Ischgl,,
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val d'Isere/Tignes Would make you a better skier.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cynic, how?!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Because he will have the oportunity to ski more off-piste and miles under the feet in Killy Espace.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The amount of skiing (off piste or otherwise) a newbie resort worker does is going to be limited by their ability and their time off in either of these places. There is ample terrain in both Ischgl and Val d'Isere. I only have limited experience of Ischgl, but I get the impression that it would get tracked out less quickly than Val d'Isere, so if you have a job that prevents you getting to the lift at 8am then you might actually get more powder skiing in Ischgl.

I don't see the correlation between size of ski resort and skiing ability, so long as there is enough terrain and the opportunity to learn then you'll become a good skier by skiing in any resort for a season. One of the best skiers I know did an season in Red Mountain, BC, where there are all of 3 lifts. And some of the steepest and nastiest tree skiing anywhere... it didn't seem to hold him back. But then he did come back to St Anton after that;-)

If it's the same job in both resorts then it's a tough choice... I'd probably go Ischgl for the reasons boabski mentions (and my theory about powder) but you won't regret either choice. What a nice dilemma to have:-)

If the jobs are different I'd think about the work side of it - would one of them give you more ski time? One minor difference is that if you are working for a tour op the transfer to Ischgl is shorter... In Val d'Isere I sometimes had to get up at stupid o'clock (and I mean stupid - like 3am) to get some guests off to the airport when the weather was bad and they had an early flight. You could get this in any resort depending on flights but it is more of an issue when the transfers are long.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cynic wrote:
Because he will have the oportunity to ski more off-piste and miles under the feet in Killy Espace.

Surely the offpiste is unlimited in both (assuming you put the effort in), whereas more miles of pistes tends to mean less (of the easily accessible type) offpiste.

Either way, there's plenty to do in Ischgl - more than you'll do in a season anyway.

I guess the other thing to consider is whether you prefer rich Russians (Ischgl) or toff Brits (reputed to be Val D - I wouldn't know) NehNeh
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

toff Brits (reputed to be Val D - I wouldn't know)

I've heard other adjectives used rather than "toff" wink It is very much a British resort - as much as, if not more than Meribel is. This may or may not be in it's favour, depending on your point of view.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only been to Val D'Isere once and that was twenty years ago but have been to Ischgl loads of times. Although Ischgl is popular with Russians, particularly 1st week of January as its a public holiday week, they form a much smaller proportion of vistiors compared to British in Val D'Isere. Germans predominate but a lot of Dutch and Scandinavians and increasing numbers of Brits.

By the way its a great place.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy