Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking ski helmet on plane

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Whats the deal about taking ski helmet on the plane. First year I have done it. Do you need to pack in main luggage or can you put in hand luggage? Im not taking own skis/boots, so dont want to pay out for Ski luggage. Im flying with Neilson into France (Grenoble). thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not a fan of aircraft turbulance either, but taking a helmet on board is maybe a step too far. That said a bag did once fall on my head out of the luggage compartment during a dodgy landing at Heathrow, so maybe it's actually a sensible move.

I doubt it would be an issue, so long as it fits in the maximum dimensions allowed for hand luggage, which means that one of the sides has to be less than 25cm, you should be OK.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never had a problem taking my helmet and boots in suitably sized hand luggage which is one of these http://www.snokart.com/products/show/boot-helmet-backpack
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you wear it, it cannot be a problem.

Once on board you could take it off. But as above a case fell on my head once, and it was bloody heavy, and made me see stars.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't put it in the hold unless you have a hard suitcase. I just clip it to the backpack I use as handluggage.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999,
Quote:

I just clip it to the backpack I use as handluggage.
I'm going to try that this time, given that I boogered a helmet in hold luggage on my last trip. I've never heard of anyone not being allowed to carry a helmet in this way, but I suppose nothing's guaranteed in the world of low cost (?) carriers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I pack mine in my hold luggage. pack clothes in and around to add a bit of protection
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bob, fine with a proper case, but I discovered there wasn't enough depth in a board bag to pack things around it properly. Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks all. think will put in main luggage case just in case. Will pack jacket etc round it to protect. May phone travel people to see if can carry on. If deffinately able to carry on, will opt for that
thanks again
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Always carry protective head wear as hand luggage (cycling, climbing and ski helmets) if I'm taking them. Never had a problem. Just don't trust the hold baggage to keep them un-damaged.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica wrote:
clarky999,
Quote:

I just clip it to the backpack I use as handluggage.
I'm going to try that this time, given that I boogered a helmet in hold luggage on my last trip. I've never heard of anyone not being allowed to carry a helmet in this way, but I suppose nothing's guaranteed in the world of low cost (?) carriers.

I've never had a problem doing that, on many many flights, but you never know... OTOH if any airline did have a problem, I think it'd be pretty easy to explain and talk them round.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hand Luggage very few airlines question it and if they do you can actually wear it on and then just put it in the overhead.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks all. spoke to someone today who said their snowboard helmet always goes with them on the plane. one of their mates clipped to hand luggage and noone said anything. Flying with Inghams/thomas cook, so shouldnt be a problem as not cheap airline. will double check first though. Glad can do it this way as more room for big-ass wooley clothing!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy