Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please - Monday to Friday, February half term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all, after advice please.

Feel a little out of touch as we have not ski'd since 2009 due to business startup which is now going reasonably well.

Our kids are away with school trips/grandparents next February half term so we have the opportunity for my wife and I to grab some long overdue ski-ing just the 2 of us.

Looking at booking flights we were thinking of flying out to Geneva on Monday 13th Feb and coming back Friday 17th or Saturday 18th.

I know it will be busy everywhere but was just wanting advice on if it is totally a nightmare idea or if its likely to be possible to get accomodation during this period for a part week (Mon-Fri) - for under £1,000 (for the accomodation for the 2 of us).

In terms of resort we have ski'd Sol/Flaine/laPlagne as a family for 5 weeks and just the 2 of us in the more quaint la Clusaz and Les Gets. My wife was a later in life learner and can now ski rather well but we look for confidence inspiring blues and easier red runs.

In terms of accomodation for just the 2 of us we typically go for central 2/3* hotels but would consider B&B or making the numbers up in a chalet if it made sense financially.

As I say, feel a bit out of touch and not sure if its a doomed idea as its half term, I am thinking book the flights now and then leave the accomodation until nearer the time when we know where there is snow near Geneva but it will be half term ! After any advice/ideas.

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rent a car & stay in a valley town or buy a week's accomodation and be prepared to lose a couple of nights.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hairy Boy, If this is the only week you can go and the flights prices/times look OK now, book them and then either put up a question now, on the Solutions Room on Chalets Direct or hang on, see where there are good conditions and then see what you can get. If there are only two of you, that will make it easier, but I'd never recommend hanging on if you need to find something for a family or group, in a peak week. If you are looking at catered/B & B, you MAY get the five nights you prefer, but be prepared to compromise on things. If you are happy with self-catered you would definitely need to book the full week and just use the nights you want
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

buy a week's accomodation and be prepared to lose a couple of nights

No need for that. The Ibis Hotel in Sallanches is available for the 5 nights at £40 per night Very Happy

Sallanches is a 20 minute drive from Combloux/Megeve or Les Houches and only about half an hour from Chamonix. It's a decent town, albeit a bit quiet, with a few bars and restaurants.

Alternatively, you could stay at the Mercure in Chamonix but that will set you back £700 Shocked

All are bookable on www.accorhotels.com
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got accommodation in La Thuile, Italy at half term two years ago, for a whole week, for under a grand, for EIGHT people. Don't sweat it. There'll be tons and tons and tons within your budget. Skiing at half term is fine, and don't listen to anyone who says otherwise, because they're full of massive turds.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice all, very useful and much appreciated. Will discuss with the boss tonight and book the flights me thinks Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hairy Boy, PM me? Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the Ibis idea is very good. We stayed at the Ibis in Sion for a few days a couple of years ago and skied Verbier, Chamonix and Crans Montana and there are many more that you can do. Accomodation was excellent. You need to rent a car but that's usually pretty cheap.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
downhillalltheway,
Quote:
You need to rent a car but that's usually pretty cheap.
Yes out of the ski season and especially if it's not half term which is a pity as Hairy Boy, specifically wants to ski (so it's in season) and it is half-term. Moreover you've also suggested Verbier which is great but the Franc was 2.50 in 2009, 1.80 in 2010 and 1.40 so cheap or anything south of expensive will be a struggle there:
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jivebaby wrote:
downhillalltheway,
Quote:
You need to rent a car but that's usually pretty cheap.
Yes out of the ski season and especially if it's not half term which is a pity as Hairy Boy, specifically wants to ski (so it's in season) and it is half-term. Moreover you've also suggested Verbier which is great but the Franc was 2.50 in 2009, 1.80 in 2010 and 1.40 so cheap or anything south of expensive will be a struggle there:

1 You can get a car for around €260 for the week now on carrentals.co.uk

2 I suggested skiing in Verbier, not staying there. Sion is far, far cheaper to stay and eat.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
downhillalltheway, see your point, although staying in Sion won't be as much fun a Verbier Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy